Kevin McCarthy poised to lose first-round vote for Speaker for the first time in a century | Update: McCarthy "wins" Speakership in the FIFTEENTH round...on a technicality

19 minutes ago, outsida said:

MSNBC just explained that if McCarthy doesn’t whip the vote right and enough Republicans just vote “present”, Hakeem could win the speakership with 212 votes. 

How does this work though? Is this an official vote? I got the sense this was a roll call of sorts. Are the newly elected House members even sworn in yet?

15 minutes ago, osxmatt said:

How does this work though? Is this an official vote? I got the sense this was a roll call of sorts. Are the newly elected House members even sworn in yet?

I think Jeffries needed some Republicans to vote "present" to win with 212.

16 minutes ago, osxmatt said:

Apparently this is the official vote but they haven’t been sworn in yet. Also, each present vote reduces the majority needed by one.