Kevin McCarthy poised to lose first-round vote for Speaker for the first time in a century | Update: McCarthy "wins" Speakership in the FIFTEENTH round...on a technicality

Also it's funny to see people think that once McCarthy is elected Speaker on the 12th round that things will magically just go smoothly for the GOP. You think they are going to have a stable majority and work together? lol. If you enjoyed the UK Conservative mess of the last two years, prepare for the same in the US House!

• Like 1

I haven't really been paying that much attention, can someone explain why they keep voting over and over and over? Doesn't he already know that he doesn't have the votes? Why are they voting 3 times a day when they know what the outcome is going to be? Doesn't that just make Kevin McCarthy look like a more of a total loser and waste everyone's time?

• True 1

6 minutes ago, ort said:

I haven't really been paying that much attention, can someone explain why they keep voting over and over and over? Doesn't he already know that he doesn't have the votes? Why are they voting 3 times a day when they know what the outcome is going to be? Doesn't that just make Kevin McCarthy look like a more of a total loser and waste everyone's time?

Picking the Speaker is the first piece of business the House does during a new Congress.  No other business, including approving rules changes, submitting bills, voting, etc., can happen until a Speaker is chosen. 

10 minutes ago, ort said:

Well in their defence, he does have +90% of the popular vote. (republicans I mean)It’s trying to deal with the real radicals of them fuck nuts

• Jason changed the title to Kevin McCarthy poised to lose first-round vote for Speaker for the first time in a century | Update: McCarthy loses SEVEN rounds of voting in a row
4 minutes ago, ort said:

Part bargaining and part chicken.

McCarthy and his allies are counting on the fact that ultimately there is no real viable alternative. Fatigue and math will eventually go in his favor.

Shame no longer exists in the GOP, so McCarthy doesn't care how many times he has to be embarrassed as long as he eventually wins the vote so he can become the most ineffectual and irrelevant Speaker in history :lol:

9 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

While I'm aware that there isn't a specific constitutional requirement for the speaker to be a member of congress, I don't really buy that it would work.

Ba5uxXb.jpg

The house alone is it’s sole judge of the qualifications of its members, it’s rules, and the election of its officers. It may be ahistorical but it may be permitted technically as the courts typically don’t rule in such items of house rules

• Jason changed the title to Kevin McCarthy poised to lose first-round vote for Speaker for the first time in a century | Update: McCarthy loses EIGHT rounds of voting in a row
  • Jason changed the title to Kevin McCarthy poised to lose first-round vote for Speaker for the first time in a century | Update: McCarthy loses NINE rounds of voting in a row