Kevin McCarthy poised to lose first-round vote for Speaker for the first time in a century | Update: McCarthy "wins" Speakership in the FIFTEENTH round...on a technicality

Just now, Ominous said:

I keep hearing about fentanyl in all these speeches as one of the major talking points. Is this a big concern for average Americans? Maybe I'm just cold, but people overdosing on recreational drugs isn't a blip on my give a fuck radar.

It's a fearmongering point used by conservatives, cops, and is pushed relentlessly and uncritically by local media. So yeah, it's a "big deal" in that it's talked about a ton. 

• True 1

4 minutes ago, CayceG said:

It's a fearmongering point used by conservatives, cops, and is pushed relentlessly and uncritically by local media. So yeah, it's a "big deal" in that it's talked about a ton. 

So it's a big deal because "we" make it a big deal. Sounds on point for a political party that relies on fear to get elected.

Does anyone ever tell them that the reason drugs flow north is because guns flow south because it's easier to get guns from America into Mexico than it is to legally buy a gun in Mexico?

• Halal 1

10 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Will be interesting to see who grows tired of the circus first. Reminds me of something like Risk where you get down to just two players and you’re just too evenly matched on income, so the end game becomes a grind you just want to be over

Tf game of Risk are you playing? Is this the capitalist dog version?

5 minutes ago, Ominous said:

I keep hearing about fentanyl in all these speeches as one of the major talking points. Is this a big concern for average Americans? Maybe I'm just cold, but people overdosing on recreational drugs isn't a blip on my give a fuck radar.

GOP has also repeatedly said fentanyl has killed 100,000 of “our nation’s children.” I don’t have the data first hand but I’m pretty sure 100k is total overdose deaths. 

2 minutes ago, TUFKAK said:

Tf game of Risk are you playing? Is this the capitalist dog version?

It's from all my online play with Euros. They call the troops you get at the start of turns/cashing in cards as "income" for whatever reason.

• Jason changed the title to Kevin McCarthy poised to lose first-round vote for Speaker for the first time in a century | Update: McCarthy loses SIX rounds of voting in a row
Just now, sblfilms said:

It's from all my online play with Euros. They call the troops you get at the start of turns/cashing in cards as "income" for whatever reason.

At least they’re honest on how military personnel are actually seen at least.

9 minutes ago, Ominous said:

To be fair, they aren’t interested in the people who are overdosing, and have no plans to put anything in place to help people who are addicted. 

It’s just saying “I will make it so less brown people live here!” isn’t popular enough anymore and concern trolling fentanyl is their latest attempt to help achieve that goal without saying it.

1 minute ago, mclumber1 said:

I heard Fentanyl is being put into candy so drug dealers can quickly kill potential users and not actually make any money off of them.  

This isnt entirely wrong. Back in school during our public health rotation we had a presentation from BPD where they shared a video of a dealer saying they’d lace some of their heroin so a set number of users would OD therefore making the rest of the users wanting it more as it’s “stronger” and therefore better.

Im glad I’ve never gotten hooked, that mindset is bonkers.

1 hour ago, TUFKAK said:

This isnt entirely wrong. Back in school during our public health rotation we had a presentation from BPD where they shared a video of a dealer saying they’d lace some of their heroin so a set number of users would OD therefore making the rest of the users wanting it more as it’s “stronger” and therefore better.

Im glad I’ve never gotten hooked, that mindset is bonkers.

As a former dope user I can assure you that this is utter nonsense. First of all, your average drug dealer isn’t a sociopath. Secondly, they’re not stupid. No one wants that kind of heat on their operation, and no one is going to want to literally kill a potential revenue source.

• Halal 1

1 minute ago, Uaarkson said:

As a former dope user I can assure you that this is utter nonsense. First of all, your average drug dealer isn’t a sociopath. Secondly, they’re not stupid. No one wants that kind of heat on their operation, and no one is going to want to literally kill a potential revenue source.

I would assume a dealer could be straight up charged with murder if they are intentionally lacing their heroin or coke with lethal amounts of fentanyl. 

3 minutes ago, Uaarkson said:

Talk to said dealer on the video, lol. Heroin was the Baltimore issue when I was there and by the time I left in 18 I was dealing with way more ODs than when I started.. He verbalized it as only on a few instances of the product. Unless the video were cops cosplaying which could’ve been the case but my rotation was in rural Maryland not in Bmore.