The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom - update: 10+ million copies sold worldwide in first three days (fastest selling title in the Zelda series)

Keyser_Soze

3 hours ago, stepee said:

I feel like maybe we should take the emulation talk to the pc thread before we get people annoyed that they have to put up with pc performance talk even in a Zelda thread :P

They're big boys and girls, they can keep scrolling if a post isn't relevant to what they're specifically looking for, just like we all do with like half the posts in every thread!

Also, this game makes me very glad I've fully adopted only controllers that have rear buttons. The default controls just feel wrong to me, like they did in BotW. Specifically jump, attack and sprint feel jumbled. Just like BotW, there's an option to swap jump and sprint, which is great, but that leaves sprint on X which is a really weird button.

So I swapped them and then mapped the back left button on my controller to X! I typically map them to L3/R3 respectively because clicking in sticks always feels terrible to me, and most games have those as sprint/crouch. So now it just feels like how I normally play games!

• Shocked 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Embarrassed Chris Smith GIF by The Internet

I’d buy them if they still felt unique and had a bit of extra content and artwork to go with them… most of them started being dry and dull (Bradygames I think)… just not worth it..

I still have fond memories of the Super Mario Bros 3 guide from Nintendo.. just had that extra bit of personality

3 hours ago, cusideabelincoln said:

Today's emulator updates have given me a massive performance boost. I previously could not crack 45 fps; now I'm hitting 60 quite often, especially after the shaders compile, with bad drops going into the 40's.  Those of you with an Intel 13th gen or Ryzen 7000 CPU will probably maintain 60 fps most of the time now.

Also there is a mod to make the game world run at normal speed when going above 30 fps, although cutscenes will still run faster. It's called the 60 fps mod, the downside being if you drop below 60 fps then the game will run in slower motion. As long as you can maintain above 50, the game feels normal in my experience. 

Oh geeze you aren’t kidding. I got it all set now with all the updates on yuzu and mods and shaders downloaded and the game now updated and it’s another league from when I played 6 days ago. Crazy development. Yeah it’s pretty much just locked 4k/60 now and the glitches seem gone so far.

This is going to launch on pc in a much better state than Jedi Survivor which is just lmao

Yeah, Yuzu is the real deal, but takes a little longer (like, a few days) to get brand new games going than Ryujinx, which I think is just largely inferior with much worse performance and slower updates. Yuzu's going at a blistering pace in terms of updates, and they have very comprehensive monthly recaps of their progress. I wonder if there's an easy way to swap my save file between Switch and PC without having to keep my Switch in CFW, which I don't want to keep it in permanently as I can't use online features.

Also, I'm gonna add a short "getting started" guide here, it's definitely incomplete as I haven't even finished half the stuff, but just like Ravali's Gale in BotW, which in my opinion is a must from the get-go for quality of life alone, I wish someone told me a few of these things in ToTK (I'll try to keep it as vague as possible and will still keep it in a spoiler tag, I'd probably check it after you've been playing a few hours minimum if you're curious about it):

Spoiler
  1. I recommend going to Rito village first, as you'll get a similar ability as BotW, but not quite as good at the start. (It shows value as you cross longer distances though.)
  2. The gacha machines? Use handfuls of 5 charges on them to get guaranteed lots of items. Other things you can put in seem to give much less. 5 big charges gives an INSANE amount of items, but those are much rarer, so might want to wait a while.
  3. You might notice you don't have your final power filled in for a while. Maybe there's some breadcrumbs I missed, but ya gotta head deep, deep down and really poke around and eventually you'll get put on the path to getting it! It's super handy so maybe prioritize it!
  4. Zonai items specifically designed for flight/gliding tend to have a built-in timer of use before they evaporate. Meanwhile, non-flight items that you make fly via other means don't seem to have these, so can be used indefinitely!
  5. The game seems to ramp up difficulty a lot faster than the last game, so get to work on getting those Great Fairies unlocked! This one's pretty hard to miss but I put it off for a while when I shouldn't have. The defense makes a huge difference like in BotW. (Remember, damage you take is calculated by the damage the enemy does with their base damage + weapon damage, and then you just straight up subtract your armor value. 1 heart = 4 HP, so if you add 4 defense, attacks will deal 1 less heart per hit, with a minimum cap of like a quarter heart, can't hit 0!)
  6. Lookout Landing is kinda like your main hub! Revisit it often and explore it!
  7. Fuse, fuse, fuse! If you've got a naked weapon, it's going to waste! Some bosses drop a big weird item you can lift, but can't add to your inventory or anything. These are fuse rewards! Fuse it with your best/favorite weapon to give it a big damage boost! Find a random set of spikes? Fuse it! You get a bunch of fuse materials that DO go into your inventory from enemies as well! You can use them as arrow attachments for big damage boosts, but those are one-time use, if you manually fuse it to your weapon, it'll last until the weapon breaks! Although a few fuse materials are fragile and can break before the weapon does. You can really get creative! Fuse things to your shield for interesting effects, too! Keep in mind that as far as I can tell there's only one place you can unfuse items (unlike the stuff you attach using Ultrahand) and it costs rupees to do so, one-by-one, so don't fuse anything you might regret later like a diamond on a stick or something!

I'll add more as I think of them, there were definitely more "definitely do this" ideas I had in my head so if I remember them I'll add 'em!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Xbob42 said:

Yeah, Yuzu is the real deal, but takes a little longer (like, a few days) to get brand new games going than Ryujinx, which I think is just largely inferior with much worse performance and slower updates. Yuzu's going at a blistering pace in terms of updates, and they have very comprehensive monthly recaps of their progress. I wonder if there's an easy way to swap my save file between Switch and PC without having to keep my Switch in CFW, which I don't want to keep it in permanently as I can't use online features.

Also, I'm gonna add a short "getting started" guide here, it's definitely incomplete as I haven't even finished half the stuff, but just like Ravali's Gale in BotW, which in my opinion is a must from the get-go for quality of life alone, I wish someone told me a few of these things in ToTK (I'll try to keep it as vague as possible and will still keep it in a spoiler tag, I'd probably check it after you've been playing a few hours minimum if you're curious about it):

Reveal hidden contents

But if I switch to yuzu id have to start over, right? Or can it read saves from other emus?

4 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

But if I switch to yuzu id have to start over, right? Or can it read saves from other emus?

The save not only works in yuzu but they actually intentionally keep the format and folder structure the same to make it as easy as possible to swap between the two.

• Ukraine 1

5 minutes ago, stepee said:

Man that journey to the second shrine and

Hide contents

it encouraging you to build a platform to ride down the rails on and then a boat to sail over to it

that is some cool stuff yeah

It only gets better. And hell, im not even that far. I keep getting sidetracked 

The exploration and puzzles are what makes the game so good. I have fought very few enemies considering the 16+ hours I’ve put in so far. 25~ shrines down, mostly pumped into Stamina, which is how I also played BotW. I love climbing.

I still haven’t been able to upgrade my battery. 

I made a flying log that flew me from one Island to the next instead of using the rail car they expected. I’ve soved things in such ridiculous ways that I know they hadn’t planned for in some cases. The game really rewards creativity in its puzzle solving.

So I did the the opening(VERY COOL) and made it to the first shrine. I knew it was coming but the it STILL gave me goosebumps at the “world reveal” in the beginning. Did the first shrine and jesus the combine ability works so smoothly. What a tiny little intro puzzle even and that was insanely fun and satisfying. I’m an hour in and already blown away. 

• Like 2

After playing a bit on switch so far I’m leaning towards pc mainly because I just don’t play switch games on tv with that iq when blown up but handheld I could be plenty satisfied with how this looks and  performs on switch. Really pushing the system here, I think this is a great swan song technically.

Ryuninx works way, way better for me. Yuzu just not working well at all.

24 minutes ago, stepee said:

After playing a bit on switch so far I’m leaning towards pc mainly because I just don’t play switch games on tv with that iq when blown up but handheld I could be plenty satisfied with how this looks and  performs on switch. Really pushing the system here, I think this is a great swan song technically.

Im thinking the same. It runs fine and I don’t want to start over. I’ll just put it on the shelf and have it for the future 

Every video of this game just makes it look like a chore. Not really diggin the whole "here's a bunch of crap laying around, figure it out yourself" mechanic. It's not really why I played Zelda.

I can see how the whole "physics playground" would appeal to a lot of people, though. I'm just not one of them.

7 minutes ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

Every video of this game just makes it look like a chore. Not really diggin the whole "here's a bunch of crap laying around, figure it out yourself" mechanic. It's not really why I played Zelda.

I can see how the whole "physics playground" would appeal to a lot of people, though. I'm just not one of them.

I played about an hour of it last night, and I think I am in your camp.  I'll give it another go after I finish the games I already have on the go, but trying to go back and forth between this button layout and a modern one won't work in my head.

• Hugs 1

15 minutes ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

It's basically Garry's Mod version of BOTW with all of the things that made you hate BOTW if you didn't enjoy it.

Let's have a proper game not a physics playground with Link in it. Thanks.

There were a lot of people that really liked that physics sandbox stuff about BotW though. But I’m kind of with you. I can’t knock the craftsmanship, but even the first game didn’t really click with me like some in the past. And the world they made is the kind of motif I really like in games. That rediscovering a civilization long lost, and especially one that was familiar. 

1 hour ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

It’s not a chore. It adds a lot to the overall game and fun. 

Also @Xbob42 I love the icon you made from the avatars!

• Halal 1

So far (just finished the first Sky island), I’m loving it. This toolkit is already a lot more fun than BotW. Maybe I’ll get annoyed the 30th time I have to construct a raft and attach a fan to it, I dunno. 

The fuse mechanic helps with one of my biggest gripes from the last game: the endless shitty weapons you have to use. Now, when you pick up some rusty sword, just toss a fire-breathing stone head on the end of that bad boy and have some fun! 

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1