The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom - update: 10+ million copies sold worldwide in first three days (fastest selling title in the Zelda series)

Keyser_Soze

Yeah, there might be some specifics that I just haven’t seen yet, but I don’t think you really need to know/remember BOTW to play this game. Link saved the world from an evil force, and he’s gotta do it again. Only this time it’s kinda the same world. 

30 minutes ago, Jason said:

Since this is a direct sequel, is there a short-ish recap I can watch of the main plot of the original game? I never finished BotW and I don't want to have to finish my save from six years ago before starting with TotK.

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Jason said:

Since this is a direct sequel, is there a short-ish recap I can watch of the main plot of the original game? I never finished BotW and I don't want to have to finish my save from six years ago before starting with TotK.

I'm still pre-first dungeon, but it seems like you don't need to know the story of the first game at all. There have not been any direct connections to the events of BotW. TotK simply uses the same assets and remixes it, telling basically a new story with generic references like any other Zelda game does. It definitely feels like how MM felt in relation to OoT.

4 hours ago, eventide11 said:

Yeah, at 47 my creative muscle.. Well it's seen much better days. The stuff I'm 'figuring out' is pretty straight forward and all I can think of is what a simp I am lol. Can't even figuring out how to power fans n stuff 

Don’t be so hard on yourself. No shame in looking things up if you get stumped or need help. It’s a single player adventure so the only judgement you will feel is the one inside your head. Relax and have fun. 

45 minutes ago, Biggie said:

Don’t be so hard on yourself. No shame in looking things up if you get stumped or need help. It’s a single player adventure so the only judgement you will feel is the one inside your head. Relax and have fun. 

I'm trying lol and I love the game. It's more of a self reflection thing where I'm reminded I'm not 15 anymore being absolutely floored by A Link to the Past and figuring things out was the furthest thing from my mind. I just knew what to do and remembered everything with ease. With this game I'm trying to fuse an enemy to my giant log and getting shellacked by another enemy because I forgot where the attack button was. And he's like 'hey look at this dumbass, guess I'll put him out of his misery' 

4 hours ago, Moa said:

It is 100% bullshit that the gliders phase out after a while. I just want to fly around as long as the wind will let me. Honestly when the thing started pulsing green I was unreasonably disappointed.

Any item intended specifically for flying will deplete...

Items not meant for flight that you still make fly, however... :daydream:

1 hour ago, 5timechamp said:

Thank goodness for Koroks with packs, watching the little shits roll down hills is good for the soul.. plus when you pick them up and shove them near wolves they seem to know your intent

This is how I help them!

52 minutes ago, cusideabelincoln said:

I'm still pre-first dungeon, but it seems like you don't need to know the story of the first game at all. There have not been any direct connections to the events of BotW. TotK simply uses the same assets and remixes it, telling basically a new story with generic references like any other Zelda game does. It definitely feels like how MM felt in relation to OoT.

No it's definitely 100% a direct sequel of the events in the first game. But also it really doesn't matter too much as they catch you up anyway.

7 minutes ago, best3444 said:

I took a break so I only have 4 orbs. I'm way behind you guys now but I'm still loving it!

Nah I just got my 4th heart and now I’m talking to everyone in the Kingdom of Hyrule and Lookout Landing. I’m taking my sweet time with this game. 

• Thanks 1

This game is definitely the BotW formula perfected.

The game is crazy dense with so far Hyrule feels even more active.

In BotW my strategy was always to get to the closest high point and then jump off. And you only had two options: Climb, or Revali's Gale. This game has way more, and adding the sky islands just makes navigating the overworld even  more fun.

• Like 1

I think my time of playing Switch games on real Switch hardware has come to an end. I bought the game and played up through the first shrine on the Switch right after it unlocked. Then ripped the game and my save file to move it over to my PC. Took a little bit of work to get it to launch, but I've got like a dozen hours into the game on Yuzu and it's been fantastic. I haven't messed with any mods, just running the game at a higher resolution. 

• Halal 1

5 hours ago, TheLeon said:

Yeah, there might be some specifics that I just haven’t seen yet, but I don’t think you really need to know/remember BOTW to play this game. Link saved the world from an evil force, and he’s gotta do it again. Only this time it’s kinda the same world. 

If anything there seems to be more in-the know bits in the opening hours from Skyward Sword.   Things like referring to the Demon King, maybe also ancient robots.  I’m curious how far they’ll go with it.

Also, the imprisoning war, which we know is OoT.

11 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

How did you all solve the broken rail puzzle in the tutorial part? I 

Hide contents

made it into a ski lift by attaching a hook onto a cart and using the side that was still intact, but I’ve read multiple ways people did it.

Im a pure void in the creativity department so I did solved it the obvious way

24 minutes ago, TheLeon said:

I feel like yours was the obvious way. I did it too. 

1 minute ago, Mercury33 said:

The hook on the platform seemed the most obvious to me haha. 

Ha! I read that some people 

Spoiler

Made a really long cart train that wouldn’t fall, among other things. I like that there are potentially several solutions to puzzles.

• Halal 1

Oh shit, I genuinely forgot to go and do that after I fell off once.

So… how do I get back to that area now that I’m on the surface again?

Spoiler

Also, I love that the starting area in TOTK was the most ruthless area in BOTW. Very Kingdom Heart 2 vibes with Hallow Bastion being the starting area.

I wanted to be playing right now but apparently the power source for my Switch dock wasn't 100% plugged in and now I'm waiting for the fucking thing to charge enough to boot. :sadsun:

[edit] Now it's on connected to a MacBook Pro charger but doesn't seem to want to progress past 1%, hopefully it finally charges up after sitting for long enough. 

1 hour ago, Jason said:

Okay, was able to at least get this onto the TV finally. I think this is probably a prequel given Zelda doesn't recognize Ganon on the mural. 

Each Zelda is different. The one from Ocarina of Time for example is not the same girl as the one in this. 

1 hour ago, Jason said:

Uh, I rebooted to do a software update and now it's at 100% straight from 1%? :s

That's a relatively common issue with certain system updates. You have to recalibrate the battery which is an annoyingly long process where you let it charge for like 3 hours, then set the display to never turn off, then leave it unplugged but screen on until it drains completely.... then repeat that process like two more times.

I was watching one of my boys play this in the living room and was shocked at how ugly it is on a TV. Probably looks fine in handheld, but gah.

12 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

I was watching one of my boys play this in the living room and was shocked at how ugly it is on a TV. Probably looks fine in handheld, but gah.

Honestly, that's part of the reason I'm playing through Yuzu. The early part where you step outside for the firts time and its very bright and there's a lot of trees creating shadows looks kind of like an ugly mess on a bigger screen. Just being able to run it at a proper resolution helps out tremendously.

47 minutes ago, ThreePi said:

Honestly, that's part of the reason I'm playing through Yuzu. The early part where you step outside for the firts time and its very bright and there's a lot of trees creating shadows looks kind of like an ugly mess on a bigger screen. Just being able to run it at a proper resolution helps out tremendously.

I really think their color choices in the opening sky are are unflattering with the sharpening filter.  Down in Hyrule it’s a bit better.