The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom - update: 10+ million copies sold worldwide in first three days (fastest selling title in the Zelda series)

Keyser_Soze

12 hours ago, gamer.tv said:

IGN just confirmed:

Reveal hidden contents

Uhh, with almost 80 hours in this game, I'm gonna have to call (a conditional) foul on this one.

Spoiler

So far there's been 0 traditional dungeons, and I've done 2 of this game's equivalent of Divine Beasts. One had a neat and fun leadup to it that actually took a while, while the other was quite simple. The actual "dungeon" portion of both were like slightly larger shrines with a boss fight.

Unless you do the 4 you're expected to do and then unlock more rather than just progressing exactly as BotW did. That's why I said conditional, because while I have no idea if this is the case, it would explain the massive difference in what they're saying and what I've experienced.

It begins.

Game Information

Game Title: The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom

Platforms:

• Nintendo Switch (May 12, 2023)

Developer: Nintendo

Review Aggregator:

OpenCritic - 97 average - 98% recommended

Critic Reviews

Areajugones - Spanish - 10 / 10

The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom is crowned as the best installment of the saga, embracing both the old and the new. One of the best open world video games and the purest form of a legendary adventure.

Atomix - Spanish - 100 / 100

The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom is one the greatest games of all time. The wait was long, bur definitely worth it. Nintendo has created another truly special experience that should be recommended to everyone that feels a little love for gaming.

AusGamers - 10 / 10

This is both a true sequel and a hoisted flagpole on what this series is and where it’s going into the future.

CGMagazine - 10 / 10

The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom is easily the greatest open world game ever made, and may well be Nintendo’s finest achievement.

COGconnected - 100 / 100

The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom is one of the most unique and creative games I have ever played. There is a lot to do and the world design is a perfect symbiosis between using Link’s abilities and your own smarts to reach your goals. One of the best games ever on Nintendo Switch and a must-buy.

Checkpoint Gaming - 10 / 10

The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom finds a way to improve upon its predecessor in almost every way, remixing the format and forcing you to rewire your brain in genius ways to solve devilish puzzles, take on challenging bosses, and explore a dense, captivating open world absolutely chock-full of distractions and secrets. Like Breath of the Wild before it, Tears of the Kingdom is an incredible accomplishment in video games that is set to stay in our collective conscience for the next several years and beyond, and it's completely deserving of that honour.

ComicBook.com - 5 / 5

The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom is a worthy successor to Breath of the Wild and is easily a Game of the Year contender. In addition to making you fall in love with the world of Hyrule all over again, this game feels much more like a traditional Zelda game while retaining all of the charm and beauty of Breath of the Wild.

Cubed3 - 10 / 10

To answer the question - is this a brand-new game or glorified DLC? The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom is a worthy sequel - it goes beyond a simple reskin and introduces a cohesive, unique take at a post-story world from a previous entry. Blend in two huge new landmasses to unpack, reworked villages/locations and a mysterious story to stitch it all together for one epic return to Hyrule.

The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom accomplishes that incredibly difficult task of following up a critically acclaimed game. It hooks, teases and surprises at every turn. Another essential game for the Nintendo Switch and chapter in the ever-expanding Hylian story.

DASHGAMER.com - 10 / 10

There’s a tale told with great ambition and aspiration behind its lore, its successes and how it will act as a defiant moment in Nintendo’s growth, but The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom is a set to be 2023’s landmark achievement in gaming – nothing short of extraordinary.

Destructoid - 10 / 10

I loved nearly every minute of Tears of the Kingdom. From zooming up into the sky to spelunking in the depths, there’s way more to explore here, and I feel like I haven’t even scratched the surface outside of the main story and some key sidequests. But the real kicker that helps separate Tears from Breath of the Wild is its big swing power set. I felt like I was in control at all times, and had the ability to create my own path. For a series known for sequence-breaking that’s not just a perk; it’s a strong argument for why Tears of the Kingdom will be talked about for years on end, and may even top some favorite Zelda lists.

Dexerto - 5 / 5

Overcoming Breath of the Wild’s exceptional quality was never going to be an easy feat, but The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom has achieved a small miracle. There is more creativity and choice than ever before, which will undoubtedly have a long-lasting influence on both the series and the wider gaming industry. The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom is not so much a tearful goodbye from its historic past, but a fresh new beginning – one that embraces the building blocks set down by its predecessor, and transforms them to further push this beloved action-adventure series ever forward.

ElderPlayers - Arabic - 10 / 10

Tears of the Kingdom was able to outperform Breath of the Wild on all fronts thanks to new abilities that gave the players innovative and new ways to interact with the environmental elements to present us with an open world adventure that will remain in the memory.

Enternity.gr - Greek - 10 / 10

We may not know if this is the Nintendo Switch's final AAA game, but it's the perfect way to cap off a highly successful run.

Eurogamer.pt - Portuguese - 5 / 5

To the large size of the campaign and an exploration based on three layers or dimensions of Hyrule, there is an immense creative power, capable of modifying the experience, always with the puzzles in sight, the mental gymnastics supported by beautiful melodies, a refined language and a remarkable artistic dimension. Again called upon to return peace to Hyrule, Link comes close to the gods.

GGRecon - 5 / 5

Tears of the Kingdom is an impossible feat. It manages to one-up perhaps the most influential game of a generation, masterfully surpassing it in areas I never thought possible. This is undoubtedly the most impressive title on Switch, and one that will be talked about for a very long time to come.

GameSpot - 10 / 10

Tears of the Kingdom is a triumph of open-ended game design that pays homage to the best parts of the Zelda franchise's own storied history--and sometimes exceeds them.

Gameblog - French - 10 / 10

The Legend of Zelda Tears of the Kingdom is indeed the masterclass we have been waiting for.

Gamefa - Persian - 10 / 10

Tears of the Kingdom is a one-of-a-kind open world and sandbox experience that vastly improves upon its predecessor in addition to introducing new features. This is an experience that relies on creativity and leaves you free to explore its world by building structures and using new strategies. trust me, you won't get tired of this game even after spending hundreds of hours exploring its world.

Gamersky - Chinese - 10 / 10

I wouldn't say The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the kingdom is a perfect game, but it's definitely a game that puts fun first from start to finish. It does have some imperfections, but they don't detract from its outstanding multi-dimensional gameplay and innovative design concepts that set the industry standard.

GamesHub - 5 / 5

Breath of the Wild reinvented The Legend of Zelda. Tears of the Kingdom reimagines it once more, as a somehow more ambitious, freeform and creative game, with even greater highs – literally and figuratively. It’s a staggeringly eye-opening game that expertly cultivates the joy of exploration, discovery and believing in your own abilities.

GamingBolt - 10 / 10

Tears of the Kingdom ups the ante on its predecessor, and follows up on one of the greatest games ever made by exceeding it in every possible regard to a thorough, comprehensive degree. If you are a fan of the medium, you owe it to yourself to play this game.

Glitched Africa - 10 / 10

The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom is the ceremonious journey of the decade. Its awe-inspiring open world doubles up as a playground of fun thanks to a unique building system that brilliantly ties into every aspect of the game. There’s magic here – it is an unforgettable tale.

God is a Geek - 10 / 10

Tears of Kingdom could end being one of the best games ever made, with unparalleled exploration that offers freedom and creativity on a scale never before seen.

Guardian - 5 / 5

Occasionally a game comes along that makes you look at life in a whole new way. This glorious, hilarious, utterly absorbing Zelda instalment is one of them

IGN - 10 / 10

The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom is an unfathomable follow-up, expanding a world that already felt full beyond expectation and raising the bar ever higher into the clouds.

IGN Spain - Spanish - 10 / 10

The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom uses the formula proposed by its predecessor to build a proposal that improves each of its sections. The result is a game that not only looks one of the most influential titles of the last 10 years in the face, but, as if it were looking for the sky that populates its illustrations, it has managed to rise above it.

INVEN - Korean - 10 / 10

We all know that Breath of the Wild was an unparalleled game with no match at that time. But, Tears of the Kingdom shows an exceptional experience that make BOTW feel like a prologue for a grander sequel. I was even frustrated from the fact that I had to rush the entire game in order to write the review.

Inverse - 10 / 10

"Tears of the Kingdom is so much more than a sequel — it’s a total reimagining of what Nintendo did with Breath of the Wild in 2017. Sure, there are still some minor quibbles, like tedious cooking and clumsy horse controls. But all of that pales in the face of the many, things this game does right."

Luis Alamilla - 10 / 10

The Legend of Zelda Tears of the Kingdom is a masterfully done sequel to one of the greatest video games of all time. The fact that I'm sitting here writing this review and just itching to go back to playing speaks volumes of its grip both in terms of story and gameplay.

Metro GameCentral - 10 / 10

An excellent sequel and one of the best Zelda games ever made. A follow-up that builds upon and refines the achievements of the original, while adding many new and equally innovative ideas of its own.

Multiplayer First - 10 / 10

Just when you think you’ve reached the pinnacle of a series, Nintendo comes out with a bigger, more ambitious, creative, and innovative follow-up to perhaps what was already one of the greatest games ever released. The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom somehow manages to be better than its predecessor in every way imaginable, once again propelling the series to new heights. It’s insane and absolutely mind-boggling what Nintendo has crafted here, and even more so how the publisher is consistently able to one-up themselves. Believe in the hype because The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom exceeds them in every way.

I wish I could rewind this whole experience, just so I can play it for the very first time again because if there is one thing that has now dawned on me, the one thing that has now struck a bit of fear, it’s that I now have to wonder how in the world will Nintendo ever top this. I suppose there’s some solace in knowing that this was the very thing I said about Breath of the Wild, so here’s to the future of the franchise.

Nintendo Life - 10 / 10

It's impossible to talk about everything that makes The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom so incredible, and making many of those discoveries yourselves is part of the magic. It's also impossible to overstate just how much there is to do in Hyrule this time around. Much like its predecessor, this is your playground for the next however many years to come, with a little sprinkling of that older Zelda fairy dust mixed into Breath of the Wild's formula. It's a glorious, triumphant sequel to one of the best video games of all time; absolute unfiltered bliss to lose yourself in for hundreds of hours. We can't wait to see what the world will do with the game.

Nintendo News - 10 / 10

Tears of the Kingdom is simply a masterpiece, making it a must have for every Switch owner young and old.

NoobFeed - 100 / 100

While Breath of the Wild created a new feeling for the entire gaming world, its sequel Tears of the Kingdom, turned it up a notch and made it that much better. There are a good number of people who are disappointed that Breath of the Wild seemingly killed off what was known before as the traditional Zelda format, but with Tears of the Kingdom, they brought back so many of the elements that made those games feel wonderful.

PPE.pl - Polish - 10 / 10

The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom is a beautiful story built on familiar foundations that have been expanded with new tools.

Post Arcade (National Post) - 10 / 10

Tears of the Kingdom is as imaginative, delightful and empowering as Breath of the Wild and a paradigm for emergent sandbox play.

Press Start - 10 / 10

The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom builds upon Breath of the Wild's robust systems to offer an experience that eclipses the original in practically every way. Not only that, but it works incredibly hard to restore some of the things lapsed players might've missed from the traditional Zelda experience, and it pays off in droves. While the novelty of its design will never be as impactful as Breath of the Wild's debut, Tears of the Kingdom is one of the best Zelda experiences you'll ever have.

RPG Site - 10 / 10

The mad lads actually did it. Tears of the Kingdom is actually better than its predecessor

Screen Rant - 5 / 5

If it's time to move on from the Tears of the Kingdom Hyrule that's now spanned two games, it hasn't overstayed its welcome. The memories this game is capable of creating just because of its ambitious systems mean that no two players will ever have the same experience - except that of joy, and the excitement that comes with unknown possibilities. Anyone worried that there would be some fatal flaw that came to ruin what seemed to be a can't-miss Switch launch can now rest easy. Tears of the Kingdom is a monumental achievement, and it's going to be talked about relentlessly for years to come.

Siliconera - 10 / 10

The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom offers something for every player, and does so while welcoming anyone with its accessible premise and world.

Spaziogames - Italian - 10 / 10

The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom is the perfect sequel and the best game of the Nintendo Switch generation.

Stevivor - 10 / 10

The Legend of Zelda Tears of the Kingdom is one of the most creative, satisfying and rewarding games I’ve ever played, all within a familiar and greatly expanded Hyrule.

Telegraph - 5 / 5

The long awaited follow-up to the seminal Breath of the Wild is an expected, inventive triumph for Nintendo's famous series

The Beta Network - 10 / 10

I must’ve been having an absolute blast with Tears of the Kingdom, as any 6 hour play session would fly by in the blink of an eye.

TheGamer - 5 / 5

The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom is a masterpiece that not only equals what came before, it does everything in its power to surpass it..

Tom's Hardware Italia - Italian - 10 / 10

Nintendo wanted to push on the accelerator and go all-in. Tears Of The Kingdom succeeds in a feat I thought impossible: improving, expanding, and in some ways overshadowing a production of the caliber of Breath Of The Wild. Explaining in words how this new chapter was able to consistently surprise someone who dissected the previous chapter for hundreds of hours was not easy but, if you are not part of those users who want to look for the rot where there is none, my only advice is to play it, enjoy every inch of it and hope that this new journey never ends. Nintendo has once again set standards for a genre, and never before will it be really hard to top it.

TrustedReviews - 5 / 5

The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom doesn’t stray too far away from the hugely successful template of Breath of the Wild. But by reinforcing its predecessor’s strength for experimentation with the new building mechanics, while also telling an engaging story and opening up new locations to explore, this is a perfect sequel to the greatest game to ever grace the Nintendo Switch.

Try Hard Guides - 10 / 10

While Tears of the Kingdom suffers from noticeably more visual bugs and dropped framerate than its predecessor, this can largely be attributed to the sheer size of the world. As with BOTW, players will be comparing every game to this for the next five years, at least. It’s one of those things that you can’t understand unless you play for yourself and it’s wise to go in as fresh as possible.

VG247 - 5 / 5

Although it takes place on the same map as Breath of the Wild (with a few key changes owing to the time-skip and Upheaval, of course), Tears of the Kingdom feels different enough from its predecessor thanks to the new powers and mechanics to stand all on its own. It’s a massive open world that feels dense and exciting without getting clogged up with icon fatigue, since so much of the play is based around physics interactions with the core mechanics, rather than rigid systems

VGC - 5 / 5

The Legend of Zelda Tears of the Kingdom reinterprets Breath of the Wild for the better. Instead of removing all the aches and pains of that game, it completes the circle by adding gameplay-based solutions to annoyances and encourages you to let your imagination run free. Easily one of the very best games on Nintendo Switch.

Washington Post - 100 / 100

Ultimately, the lore isn’t the main attraction, and isn’t the reason the Zelda series has endured for almost half a century. What’s more compelling is the game’s nod to the collective story of how human imagination pushes us through our toughest challenges, and sometimes sends us soaring to heights unseen.

We Got This Covered - 5 / 5

Tears of the Kingdom refines and improves everything that was so great about Breath of the Wild, while adding a ludicrously complex, satisfying, and fun construction mechanic that radically expands what the player is capable of. The Legend of Zelda is one of the greatest franchises in gaming history and this is its best entry to date, automatically cementing it as one of the greatest games of all time.

WellPlayed - 10 / 10

Tears of the Kingdom will overawe you with its scale and its imagination. It will demand your creativity and ingenuity in a way that few games would dare demand. It pays tribute to the things that have made this series so timeless, while also innovating so relentlessly that it will be the better part of a decade before any game is able to follow in its wake. Nearly four decades after The Legend of Zelda series made its debut, its latest instalment is a breathtaking high-point for the Zelda franchise, for Nintendo and for video games.

Hobby Consolas - Spanish - 98 / 100

Tears of the Kingdom brings together the power of adventure, the wisdom of freedom and the value of creativity, never forgetting what makes The Legend of Zelda so special: epic moments and the ability to thrill. They were not wrong to say that the title is a spoiler: we have shed tears of joy.

IGN Italy - Italian - 9.8 / 10

Tears of the Kingdom is what happens when a triple A studio with a triple A budget can take its time to develop a game, focussing on polish and gameplay instead of graphics. The result is so powerful that it puts to shame many contemporary games. This is a masterpiece.

The Games Machine - Italian - 9.8 / 10

Tears of the Kingdom manages to surpass the perfection previously achieved by Breath of the Wild, an incredible accomplishment. I'm very happy for the other software houses, who will now be able to have a carefree summer, sparing themselves endless work sessions in an attempt to create a contender for the title of game of the year: right now, the current generation of game designers sadly lacks that spark with which to create a product that can come close to Tears of the Kingdom.

Worth Playing - 9.8 / 10

The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom is almost the raw ideal of video games. It's a giant exciting open world, and you're given a huge amount of tools and puzzles to use in that world. It takes everything that was great about Breath of the Wild and improves upon it. It even takes some of the previous negatives (like weapon durability) and turns them into new strengths. The only weak part in the game is that the story isn't any great shakes, but even that's more of a minor annoyance than a serious complaint. Tears of the Kingdom is destined to be a modern classic, and it's an absolute joy to play. Unless you disliked the Breath of the Wild formula, Tears of the Kingdom is a must-play for any Switch owner.

Game Informer - 9.8 / 10

Nearly every encounter, whether puzzle, traversal, or combat, must be reconsidered. It makes you think in new ways. I didn’t get the same goosebumps exploring Hyrule as I did in the past, but I did experience new emotions both on a granular level from solving individual puzzles and on a larger scale by going back to one of my favorite video game locations. They say you can never go home again, but I adored returning to Hyrule with all new tools.

Impulsegamer - 4.8 / 5

Tears of the Kingdom captures and improves upon everything it's predecessor was. The sky was they limit and they certainly reached it!

Merlin'in Kazanı - Turkish - 96 / 100

Tears of the Kingdom manages to offer you another unforgettable adventure with its new features and layered map structure. Even after spending hours in the game, it's exciting to find new details to discover!

Capsule Computers - 9.5 / 10

Tears of the Kingdom is a masterpiece that re-sculpts an entire genre to fit its premise. Fans of of the franchise will be sure to find another mainstay for their console for years to come with this entry.

Cerealkillerz - German - 9.5 / 10

Link is back, and better than ever! The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom takes the excellent foundation of its predecessor and adds to it: the new abilities allow for much more experimentation and puzzle solving, plus the islands in the sky offer a change from the earthbound world of Hyrule, inviting you to explore much more, putting the saying  "The sky's the limit!" to new use. Nintendo has managed to outdo itself once again after Breath of the Wild.

Everyeye.it - Italian - 9.5 / 10

One of the best adventure games that have ever been made. A playful and artistic titan, who swallows the hours in one bite, in a sumptuous banquet of possibilities, creativity, imagination.

GAMES.CH - German - 95%

Tears of the Kingdom doesn't clear up all the potential flaws of its predecessor, but the game succeeds in doing much more

GRYOnline.pl - Polish - 9.5 / 10

The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom's truly open world, player’s freedom and openness to experiment make it a true showstopper. Since Breath of the Wild, there was no open world game that made me so happy. But if you don’t share my love for the previous game, you have nothing to look for here.

SECTOR.sk - Slovak - 9.5 / 10

The game has all the necessary qualities to be a great, massive, intelligent, and creative gaming experience that surpasses Breath of the Wild. However, it lacks a "wow factor" and feels like an improved version of its predecessor rather than a completely new experience. Despite its higher quality, the game relies too much on its predecessor, and the main world map is essentially the same.

Softpedia - 9.5 / 10

Tears of the Kingdom is without a doubt the best Zelda game to date. Although it offers a pure sandbox experience, the world is bustling with secrets to discover, treasure to loot, and puzzles to solve. It’s one of the few games that encourages exploration and rewards those who do it in full. It only takes a few hours to learn that there’s something new and exciting to discover just around the corner.

WayTooManyGames - 9.5 / 10

Whatever gripes I may have faced during my dozens, perhaps hundreds of hours with Tears of the Kingdom, don’t make it any less engrossing and amazing. It’s not perfect, it’s not my favorite Zelda game of all time, it’s not even the best game we’ve played and reviewed in 2023. But does that really matter? At the end of the day, it’s an improvement over Breath of the Wild, a really impossible task that Eiji Aonuma managed to achieve.

GamePro - German - 93 / 100

Gigantic open world adventure crammed with tasks and secrets, but lacking the new magic of its predecessor.

Video Chums - 9.2 / 10

The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom is an awesome and unforgettable adventure and I'm happy to say that the Zelda series is still killing it in 2023. With that being said; please, Nintendo: we really need to experience a brand new Hyrule in the next Zelda game.

Digital Trends - 4.5 / 5

So long as you’re willing to meticulously survey Hyrule like an archaeologist digging for fossils, The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom is an engrossing sequel full of mysteries to solve and experiments to conduct. It’s a digital laboratory that I imagine will still be producing unbelievable discoveries 10 years from now.

Digitally Downloaded - 4.5 / 5

Still, Tears of the Kingdom is a resounding success. The sheer scale and scope of it ought to be a reminder to the games industry that creativity doesn’t need the most powerful hardware, and the playful approach to gameplay makes this a rare open world game that’s a pleasure to explore and rewarding to immerse yourself within. I hope Nintendo understands that this can’t be the Zelda formula forevermore, and the next one will be an all-new and transformative experience again, but I also don’t begrudge the company the desire to take a second crack at what made Breath of the Wild so special to so many people.

Forbes - 9 / 10

Overall, Tears of the Kingdom is a genuine improvement and evolution over Breath of the Wild.

GBAtemp - 9 / 10

Tears of the Kingdom is the natural evolution of Breath of the Wild, and builds upon the foundations laid six years ago magnificently. Featuring an open world full of life and gameplay mechanics limited only by your creativity, it is a gem I can wholeheartedly recommend.

GamesRadar+ - 4.5 / 5

Tears of the Kingdom sets a standard for immersive gameplay that most major games don't even try to achieve, let alone match

Geeks & Com - French - 9 / 10

The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom is a great sequel that doesn't revolutionize the series like the first game did, but is still an absolute must play. This new version of Hyrule is bigger than ever and the new powers of Link help revigorate the gameplay. Yes it has a few flaws, but I didn't want to put down my Switch and I had a big smile during the whole review process.

Hardcore Gamer - 4.5 / 5

It's easy to say without hesitation that Tears of the Kingdom is better than Breath of the Wild. It improves and adds to what was already a great title.

LevelUp - Spanish - 9 / 10

Tears of the Kingdom builds on its strengths, offering an unmatched adventure with expanded content and improved systems, while still retaining some of its predecessor's flaws. Definetily, don't miss out on this redefined adventure.

Nexus Hub - 9 / 10

The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom is a worthy successor to Breath of the Wild and one of the best games on Nintendo Switch. While it won't win over players who weren't swept away by its predecessor, the sequel does everything in its power to be a true evolution of the formula. Inventive gameplay, a gorgeous presentation, beautiful soundtrack, and incredibly immersive exploration all add up to create a near-masterpiece of endless possibilities.

TheSixthAxis - 9 / 10

As if it was really in doubt, The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom is another sublime entry in this series. It's not as thoroughly refreshing as Breath of the Wild was six years ago, but as a direct sequel, it takes the same world and manages to transform it with a new over and under world, while Link's powerful new abilities foster ever-more creative play, and a new epic tragedy unfolds before you. As we head into the Nintendo Switch's twilight years, this is practically essential.

Wccftech - 9 / 10

The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom sticks closely to the blueprint established by The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, but it’s a richer, more rewarding game in most ways that count, offering a more intricate world, versatile suite of abilities, epic story, and satisfying dungeons.

eXputer - 4.5 / 5

With its slew of new abilities and fantastical locations, Tears of The Kingdom is a masterpiece that improves on all of BOTW's foundations.

Eurogamer - 4 / 5

A terrific Breath of the Wild follow-up with some brilliant new systems, amazing views and more dungeon-type spaces, plus a slightly deadening emphasis on gathering resources.

Saudi Gamer - Arabic - 8 / 10

Tears of the Kingdom is a great game that rewards your imagination and creativity more so than the original, but ultimately it is the same game down to its faults and barely brings anything substantially new to the table.

The Game Crater - 8 / 10

The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom is a near-perfect game and a technical marvel that's only slightly overshadowed by its fiddly controls, unintuitive UI and gameplay mechanics that can require too much from the player. Its ambitious and impressive approach to freeform sandbox open-world gameplay is commendable and is executed with the unique specificity only Nintendo could create. The scale of both the world and the content within it is overwhelmingly engrossing and makes for a genuinely immersive experience. Were it not for the occasionally poor execution of some of its most core concepts, Tears of the Kingdom would surely be a 10/10.

But Why Tho? - 7 / 10

For the right kind of player, someone who just wishes to explore and live in a gorgeously designed fantasy setting, this game will offer countless hours of enjoyment. However, if you are like me and when you are presented with a quest to undertake you simply wish to follow that quest in a way that feels fluid and rewarding, this game has some huge hurdles to overcome.

The Jimquisition - 7 / 10

Truth’s the truth, and the truth is that if Zelda wants to stick to its guns, I have no choice but to stick to mine.

Chicas Gamers - Spanish - Unscored

It was difficult, but Nintendo has managed to offer us again an outstanding adventure of The Legend of Zelda. Without shaking his pulse, he has taken his previous installment and they have polished the defects that he had to offer us a wonderful experience and an essential title for any player, even if he is not a fan of the saga. Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom expands the Breath of the Wild universe and more, offering us tens of hours of fun that increases exponentially if we are curious people and/or completionists, the title being able to extend from the 55 hours that the central plot can take us ( yes, without deviating too much), until 150-200 if we seek to do everything.

Console Creatures - Recommended

The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom is a worthwhile follow-up to Breath of the Wild because it builds on the world in several exciting ways. You’re encouraged to engage and tackle quests in a way that fits your playstyle while never feeling overburdened by the systems put in place.

GamingTrend - Unscored

That said, Tears of the Kingdom is a gorgeous game with a wonderful art style that’s able to convey the beautiful, pastoral hills of Central Hyrule, the serene yet sad calm of the sky islands, and the dark, oppressive gloom of the Depths at the same time. It’s incredibly impressive that you’re able to seamlessly dive from the sky, through a canyon, and into the Depths with no loading screens. I did encounter a single loading hitch for about two seconds when sky diving at full speed into Kakariko Village, but everything else is perfectly smooth. Just remember to pull out your paraglider before you hit the ground.

LadiesGamers.com - Loved

Once again, Nintendo has proved why they, as a company, are still around and producing fantastic video games. The Legend of Zelda has always been a wonderful game series, and Tears of the Kingdom is no exception; Nintendo smashed this one out of the park. I love it, and everything that Nintendo has changed, updated, and improved on from BOTW is evident in their six years of Tears of the Kingdom development.

If you only ever play one video game, it should be The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom. This game is magnificent, gorgeous and outstanding. It is absolute bliss to be back in Hyrule, Tears of the Kingdom is a sublime experience. Two thumbs Up is our highest score, but it doesn’t feel like it’s high enough for Tears of the Kingdom; if I could, it would be a four thumbs up from me.

Polygon - Unscored

These are moments where I’m gently reminded that true player freedom is, of course, a fallacy. Nintendo created this world, and I inhabit it. Weeks, months, or years from now, I may affect it in ways its creators didn’t intend, but still — I will be using the tools they provided. The brilliance of Tears of the Kingdom lies in how well it imparts the fantasy of player freedom. Sure, Nintendo shakes me out of the daydream every now and then, and in those moments, I see flashes of its old rigid self. But no matter: At some point, I’ll fully escape its watchful gaze.

Rice Digital - Unscored

ust ten hours in and I am in love with Tears of the Kingdom’s grand experiment. It is chaotic and silly and easily the most fun I’ve had with a game in years. While the graphics and the story are both near copies of Breath of the Wild, it makes up for it by trusting its players to entertain themselves. It is the best implementation of the sandbox game design philosophy I have ever seen, leaving me constantly itching to find out what is over the next hill.

Skill Up - Unscored

Video Review - Quote not available

• Like 1

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom | Coming May 12, 2023, update: reviews from OpenCritic posted

Zelda-Site_9uRMRw2.jpg?width=1200&height
WWW.EUROGAMER.NET

Technical analysis, image quality testing and performance numbers on Nintendo's next big game.

This brings us onto the topic of performance. Tears of the Kingdom is similar to its predecessor in many ways, but takes some steps to improve the overall presentation. 900p remains the primary goal in docked mode, but this time Nintendo seems to be using AMD's much-maligned FSR1 spatial upscaler to reach 1080p, complete with mild contrast adaptive sharpening. As a result, if you look closely, the image appears slightly sharper than the previous game but with subtle edge ringing.

What makes this interesting, however, is how the dynamic resolution manifests itself. In some scenes, for example, the game changes its internal resolution based on the camera's speed. For example, if you rotate the camera in place, you may notice a change in the sharpness of the scene if you look closely. That's because the resolution drops to circa-720p when the camera is in motion but jumps back up to 900p as soon as it stops. It doesn't always drop, mind you, but it's certainly a common occurrence. The same is true in portable mode where the max res seems to be 720p - the game looks exceptionally nice on the Switch OLED.

One element of image quality I also want to mention are the cutscenes - while most sequences are rendered in real-time, larger sequences are entirely pre-rendered. In this case, the quality of the video is exceptionally poor with severe macroblocking and visual noise. The low quality FMV nearly spoils these scenes entirely. I'd imagine Nintendo opted for video in these scenes due to both the need for rapid cuts between different areas of the map and for the more advanced VFX. Still, when in real-time, image quality is sufficient. This is the Switch, after all, and there was never a chance Nintendo would be hitting native 1080p in a game like this. Image quality is significantly better than most other attempts at a large open world on Switch, at least.

That's why I'm of two minds on the final release - it's remarkably impressive for the Switch hardware but at the same time, I would have loved experiencing this on a more powerful machine. Clearly that's not in the cards right now but perhaps Nintendo will deliver at some point in the future once the next generation Switch finally arrives.

Pondering Anthony Anderson GIF by BET

So glad most of the performance woes were rectified from the preview build.  Only Ultrahand stuff mainly, which doesn't seem out of place with some of the runes in the first game.

Sucks that they went with FSR1 instead of Xenoblade 3's upsampler, but I could see why it still works okay with its visual style.