Pedo guy megalomaniacal manchild officially owns Twitter

Well then

acastro_STK050_09.jpg
WWW.THEVERGE.COM

“The whole verification process is being revamped right now,” Musk tweeted.

Oh, and the employees working on the subscription changes have been told that if they don't make it go live by Nov 7 (from ve business days) they will be fired

Twitter is planning to charge $19.99 for the new Twitter Blue subscription, though that price is subject to change. Employees working on the project were told on Sunday that they need to meet a deadline of November 7th to launch the feature or they will be fired.

18 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Well then

acastro_STK050_09.jpg
WWW.THEVERGE.COM

Oh, and the employees working on the subscription changes have been told that if they don't make it go live by Nov 7 (from ve business days) they will be fired

I wouldn't even bother trying to meet that deadline and willingly be fired. Know how I know I wouldn't bother with an impossibly tight deadline? Because the last time a CFO gave me a project to do within an impossible time frame while threatening to fire me, I told him it was impossible and went back to my desk and started cleaning up all my stuff, waiting to be fired. I didn't even bother starting the project. I just spent all my time in the office joking around, looking for another job, and slowly bringing all my shit back home. I never looked back.

• Halal 1
  • Hugs 6

28 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Well then

acastro_STK050_09.jpg
WWW.THEVERGE.COM

This will just reduce the number of new "celebs" that join 

5 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

I wouldn't even bother trying to meet that deadline and willingly be fired. Know how I know I wouldn't bother with an impossibly tight deadline? Because the last time a CFO gave me a project to do within an impossible time frame while threatening to fire me, I told him it was impossible and went back to my desk and started cleaning up all my stuff, waiting to be fired. I didn't even bother starting the project. I just spent all my time in the office joking around, looking for another job, and slowly bringing all my shit back home. I never looked back.

What a boss. I told my boss that he was about to lose his whole team if he didn't calm down. He apologized, I told him he had to be professional and we're going to have to both be ok with being vulnerable if this relationship is gonna work. He hasn't bothered me since. 

13 minutes ago, SuperSpreader said:

What a boss. I told my boss that he was about to lose his whole team if he didn't calm down. He apologized, I told him he had to be professional and we're going to have to both be ok with being vulnerable if this relationship is gonna work. He hasn't bothered me since. 

It was such a bullshit request, too. We were a Windows shop, all Microsoft apps, and Windows-based security. He wanted the entire fifty or so engineering team swapped over to Mac's in two weeks. I told him that was bullshit because it would take a week just to get that many MacBooks delivered, so he bumped the deadline out to 3 weeks. When I told him it was impossible, he said and I'll never forget this quote "That's bullshit, because I know Macs are easy to setup."

I bought one MacBook and never even bothered getting the rest quoted, never bothered getting the one on the domain, or even bothered buying licenses for anything. I just used it as my job hunting laptop while tethered to my phone, since it had no security on it.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sicko 1

10 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

It was such a bullshit request, too. We were a Windows shop, all Microsoft apps, and Windows-based security. He wanted the entire fifty or so engineering team swapped over to Mac's in two weeks. I told him that was bullshit because it would take a week just to get that many MacBooks delivered, so he bumped the deadline out to 3 weeks. When I told him it was impossible, he said and I'll never forget this quote "That's bullshit, because I know Macs are easy to setup."

I bought one MacBook and never even bothered getting the rest quoted, never bothered getting the one on the domain, or even bothered buying licenses for anything. I just used it as my job hunting laptop while tethered to my phone, since it had no security on it.

You did end up leaving? What happened to the place/guy/request?

Did it happen but take 6mo?

Did it never happen?

Did he quit?

Did he get promoted?

Did the company fail?

3 minutes ago, SuperSpreader said:

You did end up leaving? What happened to the place/guy/request?

Did it happen but take 6mo?

Did it never happen?

Did he quit?

Did he get promoted?

Did the company fail?

Ha, yeah, I got fired two weeks in when he asked my direct manager who told him I had refused to work on the project. My last interaction with my manager there was too chew him out for not having my back on an impossible project. He apologized and approved a pretty reasonable severance

No idea what happened to them since then. I looked them up on Google Maps just now, but it says they're permanently closed. Seems they got bought by Accruent out of Austin.

Damn, I'm getting old. LinkedIn says this was all twelve years ago.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Comet said:

So I checked out Mastodon and it seems like there’s nothing there at all. I suppose I may have to stick with Reddit then 

I signed up a couple of nights ago. I like the UI, it's like a slightly cleaned up Twitter, and it feels a little more responsive as stuff loads as you scroll. But yeah, there's like no traffic on there whatsoever to this point.

10 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Cohost looks promising

https://cohost.org/rc/welcome

Another one to keep an eye on is Jack Dorsey’s Bluesky which is in beta and is a decentralized version of Twitter where your content is allegedly yours to own and the algorithm is open source. But it has SV money behind it so it can eventually be turned into an adtech money sucking vampire in time.  

18 minutes ago, Comet said:

Another one to keep an eye on is Jack Dorsey’s Bluesky which is in beta and is a decentralized version of Twitter where your content is allegedly yours to own and the algorithm is open source. But it has SV money behind it so it can eventually be turned into an adtech money sucking vampire in time.  

We've discussed BlueSky already and because it's a "framework" rather than an actual platform, we're pretty sure that his intent is to eventually sell it to the Muskrat as replacement for Twitter's existing architecture.

Also, it's goddamned Jack Dorsey.

1 minute ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

We've discussed BlueSky already and because it's a "framework" rather than an actual platform, we're pretty sure that his intent is to eventually sell it to the Muskrat as replacement for Twitter's existing architecture.

Also, it's goddamned Jack Dorsey.

Elon doesn’t sound like the type to buy something like that. His ego will say “I’ll just lead engineers to do that ourselves” 

7 minutes ago, Comet said:

Elon doesn’t sound like the type to buy something like that. His ego will say “I’ll just lead engineers to do that ourselves” 

And he has a reputation for being very well aware of effort involved and timelines.  Self driving being a year or so away in 2016, the Hyperloop being easy, being on Mars by this year...