Pedo guy megalomaniacal manchild officially owns Twitter

20 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

any tech company who doesn't allow wfh will fail

so.....lmao

I don’t know. I think it’s a pretty easy way to reduce the labor force and grind more productivity out of the remnants. 

37 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

I don’t know. I think it’s a pretty easy way to reduce the labor force and grind more productivity out of the remnants. 

In the short term yeah maybe. But then your best engineers, or hell even just experienced engineers (who don’t even have to be great), even in a relatively down tech market, are in very high demand and can easily go elsewhere where at minimum hybrid (which Elon seems to be opposed to, too) is an option. And if your tech is your product and how you make money, losing these employees due to a top down edict sure seems like a good way to have your product go to pot. 

Twitter is probably bloated (many tech companies are, and many private companies have some level of bloat) but 75% bloated? I dunno about that. 

Also announcing ahead of time that 3/4 of the people who work there won't be working there in a few months is a good way to send people packing who may not be the people you want to go.  The talented ones will easily depart for a better company (Musk doesn't have the greatest reputation as a boss) and when he realizes that it wasn't 75% overstaffed and they have to hire again it'll take a while to bring them up to speed with their systems and processes, especially with former tenured employees working somewhere else.

• Halal 1

14 minutes ago, finaljedi said:

Also announcing ahead of time that 3/4 of the people who work there won't be working there in a few months is a good way to send people packing who may not be the people you want to go.  The talented ones will easily depart for a better company (Musk doesn't have the greatest reputation as a boss) and when he realizes that it wasn't 75% overstaffed and they have to hire again it'll take a while to bring them up to speed with their systems and processes, especially with former tenured employees working somewhere else.

THIS! Making a blanket announcement like this is just begging to lose your top talent. They are the ones that will have the easiest time finding new jobs as they're the ones in highest demand. They'll be the first out the door if you're already promising to quadruple their workload while forcing them back into the office.

• Halal 1

12 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

relatedly, what ever happened to the people who resisted the Tesla RTO? I know they said "if you don't come back we consider that your resignation" but did that actually happen or were they actually considered fired?

Most of those that were fired were people Tesla hired far from one of their offices. That is, everyone is remote, so let's hire remote people. Then Musk ordered those remote people relocate to a city with office. As far as I can, everyone that refused to relocate was fired. Also, it doesn't seem like anything changed as far as attendance goes, mostly because several of their offices are mostly hotel spaces and there hadn't been enough room to sit everyone since Tesla's stock boomed and they started hiring like mad.

• Thanks 1

I've probably written this a few times now, possibly even in this thread, but I find the pending demise of Twitter to be sad.

Like it or not, Twitter has earned a unique place in public discourse. Even though they don't make much money and distantly trail the top social networks for users, it's Twitter that many celebrities, businesses, and even governments use as their first method of public communication. It think it's genuinely useful as a broadcast platform, it's just terrible as a place to have conversations. I use Twitter purely to follow the cultural conversation around certain topics and get direct news for things like movies, games, and local politics.

It just seems like Twitter always felt like it needed to grow up and become Facebook. They've constantly been adding features to make it more of a social network instead of embracing it as the best broadcast platform around.

Maybe Elon buying and shrinking the company will make them re-evaluate their priorities and focus on their core competency, but I'm not terribly optimistic about that.

• True 1
  • Halal 1

3 hours ago, TwinIon said:

It just seems like Twitter always felt like it needed to grow up and become Facebook. They've constantly been adding features to make it more of a social network instead of embracing it as the best broadcast platform around.

Which is funny because when Twitter was gaining popularity Facebook changed to become more like a Twitter clone, which of course is not a good fit for Facebook.

• True 1

13 hours ago, TwinIon said:

I've probably written this a few times now, possibly even in this thread, but I find the pending demise of Twitter to be sad.

Like it or not, Twitter has earned a unique place in public discourse. Even though they don't make much money and distantly trail the top social networks for users, it's Twitter that many celebrities, businesses, and even governments use as their first method of public communication. It think it's genuinely useful as a broadcast platform, it's just terrible as a place to have conversations. I use Twitter purely to follow the cultural conversation around certain topics and get direct news for things like movies, games, and local politics.

Maybe Elon buying and shrinking the company will make them re-evaluate their priorities and focus on their core competency, but I'm not terribly optimistic about that.

There will be no demise. 

19 hours ago, TwinIon said:

Musk isn't a focus on the core competencies kind of guy.  It's why Tesla is always announcing vaporware and he keeps kicking off dumb new projects like vacuum tube pod transports, road tunnels, and brain chips.

• True 2

• Jason changed the title to Pedo guy megalomaniacal manchild officially owns Twitter
  • Jason changed the title to Pedo guy megalomaniacal manchild officially (maybe) owns Twitter
4 hours ago, cusideabelincoln said:

All of these Free Speech chuds are championing Musk buying Twitter, and he wants to copy China :lol:

To be fair to wechat, it really is everything all rolled into one. Yet twitter is not even remotely close to being a wechat nor would it make sense to do so (you'd be better off starting from scratch).