~*Official Thread of America's Return to Thoughts & Prayers Normalcy*~

Just now, legend said:

This country sucks so fucking much and the fact that we only get worse makes me glad I didn't have children to bring into this shit hole.

The only thing that gives me a sliver of hope is the fact that I trust Gen X and Millennials infinitely more to look into these issues more carefully than boomers. But it is the hope that kills you after all. Boomers need to die off.

• True 1

1 minute ago, Comet said:

The only thing that gives me a sliver of hope is the fact that I trust Gen X and Millennials infinitely more to look into these issues more carefully than boomers. But it is the hope that kills you after all. Boomers need to die off.

I don't think that is likely to happen. There are still enough Gen X and Millennials that might be able to obstruct enough.

3 minutes ago, Comet said:

Gen x is right wing now folks

• True 1

4 minutes ago, Comet said:

I have bad news for you, friend.

• True 1

Disgusting and infuriating that people value their hobby more than the lives of children. Background checks? Mental health? The issue is guns. The issue has always been guns. The blood of children will continue to flow until we solve the problem. You support the 2nd amendment? Guess what, this is on you. 

The only "real" solution is the dissolution of the United States as a unitary political entity.  

As long as the archaic document exists as the governing rubric for American society, then all solutions will be subject to the whims of a court system that is ultimately subject to that archaic document.

• True 1
  • Halal 1

22 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

To shed more light on the responsibility these social media companies have as well. Their hands aren't clean.

In other news, Chris Murphy on the Senate floor

Well Mr Senator, we as gov’t officials don’t have to worry about ever having to deal with this type of tragedy on a personal level soooo…. One nation under god with thoughts, prayers, and money from lobbyist for us all..

26 minutes ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

Already here with the non solutions is Texas' own AG

The same chuckefucks who don’t trust teachers to say, “one time America did a racism,” or to acknowledge the mere existence of gay people also expect them to be a paramilitary force?

The world does not produce nearly enough shit for these people to eat. 

• Like 1

Texas GOP Laundry List of things to try

* We need to arm all teachers...

* We should allow students to be armed...

* It's mandatory that all students must be armed...

* Maybe all guns should be armed with a slightly smaller gun attached?

37 minutes ago, Dimden said:

It's a nice, utopian idealist view and I'm not opposed to it at all, but it doesn't reflect reality. Canada only spends about 7% of its healthcare budget on Mental Health not specifically related to dementia, something like 1 in 5 people are actually treated for depression or other similar mental health issues, there's often times months long waiting periods and it's not uncommon for people to be turned down due to their issues not being considered to be "Urgent".  It's a shit deal all around. Too many cases, too few qualified professionals are available and even highly progressive governments don't adequately divert resources where they're needed, especially in a post-covid society where mental health issues are at an all-time high.

Those numbers are a marked improvement over the US. I have and actual almost killed herself suicidal friend that got stuck on a six month waiting list. She made me break my don't involve 911 rule when she started sending everyone a copy of her suicide note and I only had a vague idea of where she might go to end it. She wound up in a hospital where her roommate tried to rape her while she was half out of it on whatever meds they pump someone with when they're caught flying down the highway at 100+ hoping something goes wrong. After being stuck there was a few days, she was back on the street with an appointment to see someone about her problems nearly six months later. In Massachusetts. We're the third best state in this country for mental health care availability.

Why would I expect better, though? My employer was bought out last year so we got a new insurance plan starting in January. My wife's doctor didn't take the new insurance and the best we could do was a months long waiting list for new primary care doctor within network. Again, in Massachusetts; just about the best state in this country for health care. Getting her seizure meds refilled was fun. We just had to bite the bullet, see her old doctor, and pay for the visit out off of pocket.

• Sad 1

Getting mental healthcare in America is messy, to say the least.  Although my insurance covers mental healthcare, there are hardly any "good" mental health providers in my area that accept insurance - but all of them will take cash.  We are having our daughter talk to a therapist every other week right now for issues I won't go into, and we have to pay out of pocket because this counselor doesn't take insurance.   We can afford it, but many people can't, so they languish and suffer because they don't have sufficient access to treatment. 

The most frustrating part of this is seeing shitty, hateful conservatives try to use the "mental health" excuse.  Not only is it meaningless guff that they won't actually do anything about, it also further stigmatizes people with actual mental health issues, causing others to think every person with mental health problems is a ticking time bomb, and thus may cause them in turn to not reveal they have issues and not seek treatment.

Of course, these are often the same people who try to downplay trans issues as "we just care about their mental health".   You know, the same people who fling slurs, intentionally misgender, mock people for their appearance, shun, doxx, and list fucking suicide statistics as if it's some kind of gotcha spin around and pretend they really just don't want the poor children of the nation to be trans because it's bad for their "mental health" just to be trans, when really it's their own constant attacks that are causing those very issues. They, themselves, are literally driving people to illness, self harm, and depression over being trans (and that's not to even mention literal attacks and murders!), and then act like being trans just naturally causes those things in a fucking vacuum.

It's like those assholes who claim they call fat people "landwhales", but when called out on it, say "I just want you to be healthy!" 

I know I went off on a tangent there, but...fuck.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3
  • True 3
  • Halal 1

1 minute ago, marioandsonic said:

The most frustrating part of this is seeing shitty, hateful conservatives try to use the "mental health" excuse.  Not only is it meaningless guff that they won't actually do anything about, it also further stigmatizes people with actual mental health issues, causing others to think every person with mental health problems is a ticking time bomb, and thus may cause them in turn to not reveal they have issues and not seek treatment.

Of course, these are often the same people who try to downplay trans issues as "we just care about their mental health".   You know, the same people who fling slurs, intentionally misgender, mock people for their appearance, shun, doxx, and list fucking suicide statistics as if it's some kind of gotcha spin around and pretend they really just don't want the poor children of the nation to be trans because it's bad for their "mental health" just to be trans, when really it's their own constant attacks that are causing those very issues. They, themselves, are literally driving people to illness, self harm, and depression over being trans (and that's not to even mention literal attacks and murders!), and then act like being trans just naturally causes those things in a fucking vacuum.

It's like those assholes who claim they call fat people "landwhales", but when called out on it, say "I just want you to be healthy!" 

I know I went off on a tangent there, but...fuck.

I know I'm alone on this board at this point for being pro-gun...But I agree with you 100% here.  If we are going to pin (a part) of the blame of these shootings on mental health, then we need to do something about it, instead of just giving it lip service.  Universal, no cost care for the end user for both mental and physical health needs to be pursued. 

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Dimden said:

So uh, feel free to delete this moderators...

Done.

I will not have my site even remotely associated with anti-trans insinuations in any way, shape, or form.

Are we clear about that, Lucian?  I suggest you stick to the gaming boards from now on if you don't want me to purge this account as well.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Halal 2