~*Official Thread of America's Return to Thoughts & Prayers Normalcy*~

Just hold votes every single day on all these issues and force Republicans to vote against them on the record. Ignore the cloak room holds or whatever other conventions let people hold things up so they don't have to cast a vote. Just force it.

If the Democrats were an NFL team down by 2 on the 40-yard line in the closing minutes of the Superbowl, they'd be all "Well our kicker only can really make 35-yard attempts, so we don't plan to attempt a field goal at this point as the resolution of the kick is unclear. We hope our opponents will let us advance a little bit more in the spirit of cooperation."

• Guillotine 3
  • Halal 4

3 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Just hold votes every single day on all these issues and force Republicans to vote against them on the record. Ignore the cloak room holds or whatever other conventions let people hold things up so they don't have to cast a vote. Just force it.

If the Democrats were an NFL team down by 2 on the 40-yard line in the closing minutes of the Superbowl, they'd be all "Well our kicker only can really make 35-yard attempts, so we don't plan to attempt a field goal at this point as the resolution of the kick is unclear. We hope our opponents will let us advance a little bit more in the spirit of cooperation."

Pelosi and Schumer, standing outside a burning orphanage: "Well we'd certainly like to go inside and save the children, but local bylaws prohibit breaking other people's windows. We think it's best to wait until we can get permission from the property's owners in Nov 2022."

6 hours ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Read an article about some of the confirmed victims so far. Just breaks my heart. Why do 10 year olds have to be slaughtered in school? They were happy, looking forward to so much. 

God damn this country. It disgusts me. 

I don’t want kids for a lot of reasons, but this is one. I cannot imagine the fear a parent must feel at a time like this. 

I'm so cynical, I almost want to say "What do they have to look forward to? The country a few years away from becoming a theocratic fascist state?  Global warming making certain areas uninhabitable, and dwindling resources?  A country on the brink of civil war?"

1 minute ago, sblfilms said:
11893268_cbhs.jpg?w=1600
ABC13.COM

The student who reportedly had the unloaded weapon was taken into custody, and all students are safe, Clear Creek ISD said.

Some little knob thought it would be funny to bring a gun to school today. This is actually the school my wife graduated from.

God damn. Teenagers are fucking stupid. I would know. I was one.

• True 1

31 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

For sure. I don't see how you can divorce a country where the two opposing ideologies are urban vs rural. Perhaps if you had a third entire level of government enshrined in the constitution (city states) it could maybe function...but as it is, you have some states with multiple cities that are individual larger than many other states combined. How can that work? The current system of most western federal systems (of which there are few) don't really work after massive urbanization. Even in Canada, how is it fair that Toronto (GTA), an area with a pop of ~6 million, have less say over its laws and finances than the three prairie provinces (Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba), who have a combined pop of...~6 million?

There's no need for any extra layers. Many metropolitan areas in this country just need to become their own states. Lines drawn a hundred plus years ago no longer have any meaning when it comes to the identity and needs of the people.

• True 1

4 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

There's no need for any extra layers. Many metropolitan areas in this country just need to become their own states. Lines drawn a hundred plus years ago no longer have any meaning when it comes to the identity and needs of the people.

It is pretty interesting to look at large cities within a particular state and see how much the culture and values can vary.

Just now, sblfilms said:

It is pretty interesting to look at large cities within a particular state and see how much the culture and values can vary.

That's what I'm saying. The Houston Metro has more people than Massachusetts. If it became its own state, it would likely be more reliably blue than Massachusetts. That's also the primary reason it'll never happen.

• True 1

3 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

That's what I'm saying. The Houston Metro has more people than Massachusetts. If it became its own state, it would likely be more reliably blue than Massachusetts. That's also the primary reason it'll never happen.

Not to mention it could arguably have the most varied cuisine of any state

Reading posts from family members of these little kids and just weeping. My daughter is the same age as all these kids, 10 years old. She is doing all the same things these kids were. The level of disgust I have for those who choose not simply to do nothing, but actively oppose the solutions…I don’t have words to describe it.

1 hour ago, thewhyteboar said:

Cops are terrified. I asked my father once why so many unarmed shootings happen and he straight up told me... FEAR. He said that Cops are told their first duty is to go home alive. Coupled with the fact that a lot of them are Policing neighborhoods they have no emotional or personal connections to AND in a lot of parts of the country, they are GROSSLY underpaid and undertrained and you get the Police force you see today. They are also pretty poorly trained and let's be honest, the requirements to become Law Enforcement are not that stringent in a lot of parts of this country and we are not drawing the best and brightest to these professions. Like gun control and a bunch of other shit in this Country, Law Enforcement needs to be completely overhauled because I'll be honest, knowing what I know FROM COPS and other law enforcement professionals, I have ZERO confidence in our justice system. ZERO.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Trump had more voters in California than in any other single state

California has a huge population though. It's larger than most countries in the world... that said there are some very right leaning areas in California (like pretty much every State in the Union.) Orange County is VERY red and very wealthy. San Diego is pretty Red too due to the military presence.

39 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

The Democrats don't seem to give a shit about passing anything meaningful.  Yeah they could propose bills every damned day, they could force cloture votes on every partisan piece of legislation the Republicans support to try and force them to the table.  Or I guess I could just get another 5 emails asking if I've seen what Kevin McCarthy is up to and how they need to replenish their fast response fund.  Then the Republicans get to move on and go back to talking about how Biden raising gas prices right around the time these parents are burying their kids and we start the clock counting down to the next time this happens.

• True 1

Just now, skillzdadirecta said:

California has a huge population though. It's larger than most countries in the world... that said there are some very right leaning areas in California (like pretty much every State in the Union.) Orange County is VERY red and very wealthy.

San Diego too unfortunately. Though it is getting bluer.

Heck where I live there are some amazing wi-fi names like "Trump2020" and "Lets Go Brandon" :|

• True 1

Just now, Firewithin said:

dont forget that just a couple weeks ago it took all of TWO days to unanimously protect some dipshit judges who had people protest insane shit but kids get slaughtered and zilch is gonna happen

Susan Collins reacted more dramatically to sidewalk chalk than chalk outlines around dead kids. All these people need to get fucked.

• Like 1
  • True 7

3 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

San Diego too unfortunately. Though it is getting bluer.

Heck where I live there are some amazing wi-fi names like "Trump2020" and "Lets Go Brandon" :|

Yeah i edited my post to include San Diego. Great place to go for a weekend and drink but I was surprised how Red it is down there.

1 hour ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

I absolutely loathe this point, it’s an intro point to “great divorce” hogwash. There’s more rich people in blue cities and states, and those who get the most in federal money (outside of the military) are poor black folks in the south. 

Maybe it's just my county but a lot white republicans here are on some form of government assistance. I'm not disagreeing it is an overall good thing, just that there is shockingly little understanding from white republicans of just how much of a state/local's budget is federal money. My niece's combined high school/tech community college, which was considered the crown jewel of the future of education, was paid for by the State which came from a federal grant. State money stopped and the county refused to pay the $150k cost ($750/student/year) to keep it going because they didn't want to raise county taxes. The Community College President was so disgusted he wrote the county a personal check to fully fund it for another year. The school closes next year despite the parents being pissed, but did they vote the Republicans out, no. 

• True 1

9 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

California has a huge population though. It's larger than most countries in the world... that said there are some very right leaning areas in California (like pretty much every State in the Union.) Orange County is VERY red and very wealthy. San Diego is pretty Red too due to the military presence.

Yeah that’s a bit of the point I’m making. There’s no clean break, no separation will be clean and easy and without a lot of bloodshed. No one, not even trump or desatanic or whomever would allow California to leave. In addition to everything California brings to the national table, owning the libs in cali is a big motivator for the right. 

9 minutes ago, finaljedi said:

The Democrats don't seem to give a shit about passing anything meaningful.  Yeah they could propose bills every damned day, they could force cloture votes on every partisan piece of legislation the Republicans support to try and force them to the table.  Or I guess I could just get another 5 emails asking if I've seen what Kevin McCarthy is up to and how they need to replenish their fast response fund.  Then the Republicans get to move on and go back to talking about how Biden raising gas prices right around the time these parents are burying their kids and we start the clock counting down to the next time this happens.

I always recall the republicans voting in the house literally dozens and dozens of times to repeal Obamacare just to make a fucking point

2 minutes ago, Jwheel86 said:

Maybe it's just my county but a lot white republicans here are on some form of government assistance. I'm not disagreeing it is an overall good thing, just that there is shockingly little understanding from white republicans of just how much of a state/local's budget is federal money. My niece's combined high school/tech community college, which was considered the crown jewel of the future of education, was paid for by the State which came from a federal grant. State money stopped and the county refused to pay the $150k cost ($750/student/year) to keep it going because they didn't want to raise county taxes. The Community College President was so disgusted he wrote the county a personal check to fully fund it for another year. The school closes next year despite the parents being pissed, but did they vote the Republicans out, no. 

“I earned/deserve that money, unlike those (((urban welfare queens)))”

3 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

After World War III, let's agree to structure society with max caps on income. 

Nah, let's just let the species die out and let nature take back what we've destroyed. We're good for nothing. 

• True 2

Just now, Comet said:

Nah, let's just let the species die out and let nature take back what we've destroyed. We're good for nothing. 

I think we're good for many things, we're just really good at a lot of bad things. Mathematics and Music come to mind. Wonderful developments! While I'll easily concede that we are currently abysmal, I still believe that humankind will eventually overcome our genetic natures, by a variety of means,  and grow beyond the original blue prints. 

• Like 1
  • True 1

6 minutes ago, Jwheel86 said:

Yeah Southern Blacks are poor but they don't get the most in Government assistance in this Country. That's a myth that unfortunately a lot of people have bought into. Alaska gets the most money per capita out of all of the States, and when you factor in Tax Breaks, Government subsidies for Farmers (Mostly white) and a host of other government handouts and benefits that poor black folks get a VERY small share of and you'd see the truth of the matter. Thank GOD I was educated the way I was as a kid. 

7 minutes ago, Comet said:

Speak for yourself. I see beauty in my friends family and loved ones... things are fucked up, but I'm not letting that blind me to the joy and good things that are in this world. Nihilism solves nothing... even personally.

• Like 1
  • Halal 3

10 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

I think we're good for many things, we're just really good at a lot of bad things. Mathematics and Music come to mind. Wonderful developments! While I'll easily concede that we are currently abysmal, I still believe that humankind will eventually overcome our genetic natures, by a variety of means,  and grow beyond the original blue prints. 

5 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Speak for yourself. I see beauty in my friends family and loved ones... things are fucked up, but I'm not letting that blind me to the joy and good things that are in this world. Nihilism solves nothing... even personally.

I think you all misunderstand me. There's a lot great in being a human and living (even today with these issues). I'm just arguing that our existence has done fuck all good for anything or anyone that isn't already a human. We're a net destructive natural force. 

8 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Yeah Southern Blacks are poor but they don't get the most in Government assistance in this Country. 

This is nominally true, but a much larger percentage of the Black population relies on government assistance. It hurts the average Black person more when these programs are curtailed, while it hurts more white people in total.

But everybody gets something out of the government. As it should be.

Just now, Comet said:

I think you all misunderstand me. There's a lot great in being a human and living (even today with these issues). I'm just arguing that our existence has done fuck all good for anything or anyone that isn't already a human. We're a net destructive natural force. 

Most successful organisms are, the problem we have is that we, as a species on Earth, are in uncharted waters regarding how we are kept in balance, a thing all other species need not contemplate as physics and instinct will balance the scales. But I'm trying to take a long view and understand that the next hundred years will be the equivalent of the species "teen age" years. We can and will continue to generate completely avoidable problems until we learn to change our ways. I simply refuse to give up on this species no matter how awful some or even the majority can be. I've already been through a lot, I can take some more. I worry every day as my wife is a special needs teacher and my kids are in school.  But we get up everyday and we do the very best we can to remind people that we need each other and that despite our differences we are all able to hear the greater music if we get out of our own ego and fear laddered ways. 

• Like 2
  • True 1
  • Halal 1

2 minutes ago, Comet said:

We're a net destructive natural force. 

We don't HAVE to be. Unlike any other species on the planet we have the capacity to adapt and change. We just have to choose to do it. ALL of us on an individual level.  Until that happens things will continue to be the way they are... I don't want to get into one these "D1P Philisophical, Existential debates" that happen so often around here but yeah, that's my feeling. People can complain the politicians all they want, but the politicians are there because of the people. ALL of the people Republican and Democrat. People in THIS country need to take some fucking responsibility and ownership and make Kids getting shot in their classrooms as important an issue to them as fucking gas prices and maybe we'll see something change. So sick of this shit.

1 minute ago, sblfilms said:

This is nominally true, but a much larger percentage of the Black population relies on government assistance. It hurts the average Black person more when these programs are curtailed, while it hurts more white people in total.

But everybody gets something out of the government. As it should be.

A larger percentage gets a smaller piece of the total pie when you add up the investment in schools and other services in the black community. Not gonna get sidetracked here but just want to give a broader picture of how entitlements in this country are portioned out opposed to the traditional "Blacks are on Welfare" point of view. Moving on...

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

Most successful organisms are, the problem we have is that we, as a species on Earth, are in uncharted waters regarding how we are kept in balance, a thing all other species need not contemplate as physics and instinct will balance the scales. But I'm trying to take a long view and understand that the next hundred years will be the equivalent of the species "teen age" years. We can and will continue to generate completely avoidable problems until we learn to change our ways. I simply refuse to give up on this species no matter how awful some or even the majority can be. I've already been through a lot, I can take some more. I worry every day as my wife is a special needs teacher and my kids are in school.  But we get up everyday and we do the very best we can to remind people that we need each other and that despite our differences we are all able to hear the greater music if we get out of our own ego and fear laddered ways. 

Agreed and far more eloquently put than I ever could :clap:

• Like 1