~*Official Thread of America's Return to Thoughts & Prayers Normalcy*~

6 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:

If there has to be gun violence, why can't it be against the GOP politicians responsible for everything wrong?

Let’s just say one side of this issue wouldn’t be caught dead with guns to being with. Though if this bullshit keeps happening maybe someone will finally snap. 

Folks, back after years because I knew this'd be the place to be to keep updated on the insanity that is the United States. I can't help but laugh at how hopeless the prospect of fixing America is. We're truly living in the most malicious, corrupt, and kafkaesque timeline.

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Storm trooper level of accuracy. Fire them all. Cops are fucking useless. 

WE NEED ARMED GUARDS AND COPS AT ERERY SCHOOL

Turns out armed guards and cops also contain self preservation instincts. Fucking shocking, who could have guessed.

• Halal 1

31 minutes ago, erpg said:

Folks, back after years because I knew this'd be the place to be to keep updated on the insanity that is the United States. I can't help but laugh at how hopeless the prospect of fixing America is. We're truly living in the most malicious, corrupt, and kafkaesque timeline.

First, welcome back to D1P!

Second, there is no fixing this never-ending hellscape that we've been damned to exist within.

22 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

WE NEED ARMED GUARDS AND COPS AT ERERY SCHOOL

Turns out armed guards and cops also contain self preservation instincts. Fucking shocking, who could have guessed.

Someone did the numbers with 4 guards per elementary, and it would require 350k guards, or more than the number of troops the us put in Iraq. 

7 minutes ago, PaladinSolo said:

Someone did the numbers with 4 guards per elementary, and it would require 350k guards, or more than the number of troops the us put in Iraq. 

Good thing those troops aren't in Iraq anymore!

5 minutes ago, PaladinSolo said:

Even if we could snap that into existence today, it’s not going to matter as much as people think. It just won’t. Armed guards, garden variety cops, teachers with guns, etc., still have families. It’s not reasonable to expect them to run towards an active shooter, we have enough evidence to know this at this point. A lot of these murderers use AR15s. I shot enough of them to know that even with no training it’s not all that hard to be accurate from a range where a couple armed security guards could get shot easily and not know it was coming.

Abolish the second amendment. Mandatory gun buybacks. This is the only way.

• Like 2
  • True 2
  • Halal 1

I'll never be on the "ban guns" side of this debate, but im 100% for halting the sale of any semi-auto with a removable magazine (my maximum 3 round .308 with the magazine built in just isn't an effective weapon for mass shootings, nor are my semi-auto shotguns) But im 100% for a ban on AR15's, bullpup semi-autos, and any collapsible semi-auto's. 

Im also 100% for licensing, as well a complete ban on 3rd party sales. Want to sell a gun? Bring it to a shop, pay a fee, and sell it with a proper check. I'm also for a ban on carrying weapons anytime except when hunting or at the range. 

But nothing matters, because nothing will change. We've seen this over and over. For all but the families, it'll be forgotten next month. The rhetoric is out of hand. Neither side seems to care about anything except the politics around the issue. 

But the far right is a hate group that doesn't care about lives.

1 hour ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

First, welcome back to D1P!

Second, there is no fixing this never-ending hellscape that we've been damned to exist within.

At this point, the pragmatic goal of sensible politicians should be to temporarily extend the status quo for the short term. I don't see how there is any hope of any actual reform in almost any area of American society. Do your best to keep things from falling apart for 2-4 years, and hope that individual states are in a position to fend for themselves during the inevitable breakup.

Here's a question: if, in 2029 under Trump term III (where he is on a ventilator and brain dead and DeSantis is running the country as his regent/caretaker) the state of California decides to declare independence, will Republicans try and stop it? I imagine lots of individuals who vote Republican would be glad to see California leave, believing that the real America will be stronger. Or would there be police/local military action?

3 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

At this point, the pragmatic goal of sensible politicians should be to temporarily extend the status quo for the short term. I don't see how there is any hope of any actual reform in almost any area of American society. Do your best to keep things from falling apart for 2-4 years, and hope that individual states are in a position to fend for themselves during the inevitable breakup.

Here's a question: if, in 2029 under Trump term III (where he is on a ventilator and brain dead and DeSantis is running the country as his regent/caretaker) the state of California decides to declare independence, will Republicans try and stop it? I imagine lots of individuals who vote Republican would be glad to see California leave, believing that the real America will be stronger. Or would there be police/local military action?

Trump had more voters in California than in any other single state

3 minutes ago, Firewithin said:

more kids have died to shooting this year than cops.  what a backwards ass statistic 

Only grateful thing is that most of the American School year is almost up and should hopefully (sad to word it this way) see some calm for a few months. That is before they return to school for the coming school year in August/September 

15 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Federal tax revenue, most red states leech off blue states. 

• True 1

8 minutes ago, Jwheel86 said:

Federal tax revenue, most red states leech off blue states. 

I absolutely loathe this point, it’s an intro point to “great divorce” hogwash. There’s more rich people in blue cities and states, and those who get the most in federal money (outside of the military) are poor black folks in the south. 

the makers/takers rhetoric when taken to its “logical” conclusion in a “national divorce” (like there’s ever been an amicable divorce, especially when there’s, erm, “custody rights” involved to really strain the analogy) will lead to mass death/pogroms/genocide of black Americans, lgbtq+ people, indigenous people, women, and other ethic or religious minorities, and even fucking white people, that would nearly if not entirely surpass every societal death of traffic/gun/drug overdose totals in our lifetimes due to a “divorce” 

2 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

I absolutely loathe this point, it’s an intro point to “great divorce” hogwash. There’s more rich people in blue cities and states, and those who get the most in federal money (outside of the military) are poor black folks in the south. 

the makers/takers rhetoric when taken to its “logical” conclusion in a “national divorce” (like there’s ever been an amicable divorce, especially when there’s, erm, “custody rights” involved to really strain the analogy) will lead to mass death/pogroms/genocide of black Americans, lgbtq+ people, indigenous people, women, and other ethic or religious minorities, and even fucking white people, that would nearly if not entirely surpass every societal death of traffic/gun/drug overdose totals in our lifetimes due to a “divorce” 

The number one factor in the balance of payments issue today is age, because Medicare and social security payments make up a massive piece of the federal expenditure puzzle. This is why you actually see a fairly even mix of red and blue states in each quintile besides the bottom one which typically is about 7/10-8/10 smaller southern states.

3 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

For sure. I don't see how you can divorce a country where the two opposing ideologies are urban vs rural. Perhaps if you had a third entire level of government enshrined in the constitution (city states) it could maybe function...but as it is, you have some states with multiple cities that are individual larger than many other states combined. How can that work? The current system of most western federal systems (of which there are few) don't really work after massive urbanization. Even in Canada, how is it fair that Toronto (GTA), an area with a pop of ~6 million, have less say over its laws and finances than the three prairie provinces (Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba), who have a combined pop of...~6 million?

4 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

The number one factor in the balance of payments issue today is age, because Medicare and social security payments make up a massive piece of the federal expenditure puzzle. This is why you actually see a fairly even mix of red and blue states in each quintile besides the bottom one which typically is about 7/10-8/10 smaller southern states.

Yeah. Medicaid too. And this is fine. It’s how the programs are somewhat designed. They need higher earners to not collect as much as they contribute in order to cover the costs associated with lower income people. It’s progressive taxation* and it’s very good, actually. 

*social security and Medicare could be far more progressive but that’s not the point