Official "Look How Insane and Shitty ALL GOP Officials Are" Thread

This is the most sensible take I've heard re: the gas stove thing

tl, dr: Reactionaries acting like jackboots are going to come rip a stove out of your wall are dumb as hell, gas stoves probably are bad for your health to some degree. It's almost certainly not so bad that it's worth replacing a gas stove in good working order, but induction will get cheaper over time and induction is better than gas and way better than old coil electric, which is what most people are imagining when they have a conniption about this.

3 minutes ago, Ominous said:

99 percent of the people upset about gas stoves likely have the stove their landlord supplied them.

The GOP politician pictures though are of super rich people stoves.

Like uh

9 hours ago, Jason said:

Rokita is the AG of Indiana

image.png

That looks like a nine burner stove, my parents have a fancy stove and it's only five burners. :lol:

Is there really even an actual difference with a gas stove and electric stove in terms of the way the food comes out and/or tastes? With grills, there’s definitely a difference with charcoal vs propane vs electric. I know electric takes longer to heat the pan (since it’s not a literal flame and the coils need to heat up), but that’s not really what I’m asking.

The argument I’ve seen seems to be centered around “electric stoves stay hot for hours after and you could burn yourself!!!”… like… there’s a light on electric stoves that tell you if it’s still hot.

51 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Is there really even an actual difference with a gas stove and electric stove in terms of the way the food comes out and/or tastes? With grills, there’s definitely a difference with charcoal vs propane vs electric. I know electric takes longer to heat the pan (since it’s not a literal flame and the coils need to heat up), but that’s not really what I’m asking.

The argument I’ve seen seems to be centered around “electric stoves stay hot for hours after and you could burn yourself!!!”… like… there’s a light on electric stoves that tell you if it’s still hot.

From what I understand, the only real difference is with woks. 99.9% of the population does not know how to skillfully use a wok so it’s pretty irrelevant.

• Halal 1

1 hour ago, Spork3245 said:

I mean induction stoves you can literally touch while you're cooking, its only hot cause the pan is hot, and glass tops cool fairly quick, but sure if you're still buying old coil types don't touch the coil, but its not like you can just touch a gas stove right after either, lol.

• True 1
  • Halal 1

33 minutes ago, PaladinSolo said:

I mean induction stoves you can literally touch while you're cooking, its only hot cause the pan is hot, and glass tops cool fairly quick, but sure if you're still buying old coil types don't touch the coil, but its not like you can just touch a gas stove right after either, lol.

I have a glass top electric and it stays hot to where you’d probably get burned for a good 30-45 minutes if you had the burner maxed out (ie: boiling water), but there’s a big red light on the stove that says “hot surface” so there’s zero issue IMO. Regardless, if the heat thing is the only real argument, ffs who gives a shit 🤦‍♂️ 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Spork3245 said:

Not actually accurate in most cases. The average coil electric stove will boil a pot of water faster than an average gas stove. Gas stoves are pretty inefficient since a lot of the heat from the gas fire will get pulled up along the sides of a pots or pans and not actually go into heating whatever it is you were cooking with. There are a bunch of variables, though. Glass top will decrease efficiency here. Fancy gas stoves with higher outputs can just brute force their way there.

That said, they both fall very short of induction cooktops. Those are the most efficient and fastest to heat a pot.

The only real benefit of a gas stove versus electric is that gas stoves can reduce heat to zero in half a second. When you're done cooking, you can cut off the gas and leave your pot right where it is, while with electric you need to move it else you risk burning your food since they take so long to cook down.

Since we already have one Adam Regusea video in here, let's add another from a couple of years back.

• Halal 1

1 hour ago, SuperSpreader said:

I'm pro-Gas stove, when electricity goes out you still have a source of heat for cooking/boiling water. 

How often does your electricity actually go out? If it's less than 1once a year you might as well just buy a camp stove if you need backup or a portable induction stove that you could plug into a large battery (like an Anker powerhouse).

1 hour ago, SuperSpreader said:

I'm pro-Gas stove, when electricity goes out you still have a source of heat for cooking/boiling water. 

Mine won't work without electricity the gas valve closes by default and needs electricity to open, even the slightest dip in power and it trips it too, i have to reset it a few times a month, like even TVs and lights won't go out but the valve will shut and need to be reset on the stove.

• Confused 1

Your Presumptive 2024 GOP Presidential Contender:

desantis-aa-studies.jpg?w=1600&h=900&cro
WWW.ROLLINGSTONE.COM

The state of Florida used Ron DeSantis’ “Stop WOKE Act” to block the pilot AP African American Studies program from its schools.

FLORIDA HAS BLOCKED the College Board from testing a pilot Advanced Placement African American Studies (APAAS) curriculum in the state under Governor Ron DeSantis’ “Stop WOKE” Act. According to a letter obtained by National Review, Florida’s Department of Education’s Office of Articulation said the curriculum “is inexplicably contrary to Florida law and significantly lacks educational value.” 

The pilot course, which has been tested at 60 schools across the United States, aims to expand the advanced coursework offered by the College Board into the study of the African diaspora in the U.S. The course has run afoul of DeSantis’ widespread ban on teaching “critical race theory” (CRT) in K-12 classrooms. CRT is an analytical framework that seeks to dissect the manner in which racism has shaped American legal theory and institutions. The concept has been co-opted in recent years by right-wing reactionaries to fearmonger about any and all discussions of race and discrimination. 

• Guillotine 2

Your Utterly Delusional 2024 GOP Presidential Pretender:

dd9ac80425018628bcc93f09e01e78d4.jpg
JALOPNIK.COM

The 2,500 jobs would have provided a much-needed boost to one of the poorest parts of Virginia. But Gov. Youngkin decided it was more important to bash China.

Virginia Gov. Glenn Youngkin told Ford to take its plan to build a massive, 2,500-job EV battery plant in the state and shove it, all because Ford’s partner in the project is a Chinese battery manufacturer—the largest such manufacturer in the world.

In what can best be described as a pissing contest with Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis over who can hurt their constituents more with meaningless virtual signaling, Youngkin rejected Ford’s plans for a lithium iron phosphate battery plant in Berry Hill, Virginia in late December. Ford invested serious time and money into the spot—$200 million in the site over the last 15 years, the Richmond Times-Dispatch reports. It’s all gone now.

Youngkin put a stop to development on the plant due to Ford’s partnership with Contemporary Amperex Technology, a Chinese company that reigns as the largest battery manufacturer in the world.

• Guillotine 1
  • Shocked 2