‘Reach Out to Trump Supporters,’ They Said. I Tried. I give up.

It’s even weirder when the Trumpers are Canadians. I’m sure the one driver I have mentioned here a few times is pissed and full of conspiracy theories on why this happened to Trump. He can be a smart man but God is a stubborn dumbass when it comes to Trump and (last I checked, after my aunt passed away) Covid-19. His wife owns a small reused book store and was forced to close down during when Covid first hit. He called it a slightly stronger Flu virus. He also said Trump wasn’t racist and would bring up pages of proof he is, but fake news. I think he was on OANN (something similar) long before this exodus of Fox News. 

My cousin is also a Trumper, but he I think is more upset because of his stock portfolio taking a potential hit. Although he liked his policies and restrictions he imposed. Took his loss pretty badly, while the rest of us celebrated his loss. 

Seems likely that greatone came back for the excitement of the election and was probably never going to stick around long term anyway.

12 minutes ago, Zaku3 said:

Ahhh ok damn.

I think he was kidding.

Hell, look at the board numbers. This isn't even a gaming board anymore. It's a current events/political board with some gaming discussion :lol:

• Haha 2

41 minutes ago, Chairslinger said:

Seems likely that greatone came back for the excitement of the election and was probably never going to stick around long term anyway.

While that sounds possible, it's not true. I had planned to stick around. I just don't feel understood anymore, and maybe that's my own fault for changing as a person. But it's not fun to post here anymore. 

I was told to shut up. I was told my post was the craziest anyone had ever read on the forum. Twenty years of posting on message boards, and I've always written out well-written, thoughtful posts when I'm not being sarcastic. All that good will has built up nothing. @ByWatterson didn't even remember who I was in the "Comeback" thread, a user I've known for years. I'm told holding people accountable and having standards is unreasonable because people are failures and I should be empathetic towards that. I was told parents are great at parenting when mental health issues due to bad parenting are high. I've been told many things. If I'm this misunderstood, I no longer have fun posting my thoughts, etc. There are a lot of reasons - Biggie and Boyle were simply the last straw, not the reason. I left the first time for a reason, and coming back reinforced those original reasons.

I was told demonizing Trump supporters is a bad thing, that I had the "worst takes" in that thread. Yet no one disproves my arguments, just tells me "I'm mean" or whatever. It's pointless for me to post. I like you as a user, and I didn't want misinformation about why I left to spread. The reason I left is for the above. :) 

I will say, the kinds words from users around here have been nice, surprisingly even from users I didn't expect, so thank you.

Edit: To be clear, I know these boards very well. I know Biggie and Boyle, etc. I know GI/Asylum. I've been here since IGN Boards in April 2001. My problems, I guess, are bigger than just that. 

• Like 4
  • Shocked 1

19 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

While that sounds possible, it's not true. I had planned to stick around. I just don't feel understood anymore, and maybe that's my own fault for changing as a person. But it's not fun to post here anymore. 

I was told to shut up. I was told my post was the craziest anyone had ever read on the forum. Twenty years of posting on message boards, and I've always written out well-written, thoughtful posts when I'm not being sarcastic. All that good will has built up nothing. @ByWatterson didn't even remember who I was in the "Comeback" thread, a user I've known for years. I'm told holding people accountable and having standards is unreasonable because people are failures and I should be empathetic towards that. I was told parents are great at parenting when mental health issues due to bad parenting are high. I've been told many things. If I'm this misunderstood, I no longer have fun posting my thoughts, etc. There are a lot of reasons - Biggie and Boyle were simply the last straw, not the reason. I left the first time for a reason, and coming back reinforced those original reasons.

I was told demonizing Trump supporters is a bad thing, that I had the "worst takes" in that thread. Yet no one disproves my arguments, just tells me "I'm mean" or whatever. It's pointless for me to post. I like you as a user, and I didn't want misinformation about why I left to spread. The reason I left is for the above. :) 

I will say, the kinds words from users around here have been nice, surprisingly even from users I didn't expect, so thank you.

Please stay, I love reading your posts. Just stay away from GI/Asylum, the quality of posting there is absolute crap.

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Please stay, I love reading your posts. Just stay away from GI/Asylum, the quality of posting there is absolute crap.

He knows this too though, so I don't get where the overreaction is coming from.

As for this article, I think the conclusion he's drawing is fair. I don't think we should demonize Trump supporters personally, but I certainly do not think we should coddle them either. It seems from the discussion of monuments with Fizzzzle that he actually wants to coddle Trump supporters and that I just vehemently disagree with.

2 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

I honestly thought coming back that there was a robust discussion about the article. :p 

As usual, I second GOH and SBL coming back for the betterment of our crusade against the Galactic Empire.

This would turn into a food thread long before a robust discussion. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I think we should just give SBL some space and let him come back when he’s ready. A lot of users have reached out to him and he’s ignored every message. At this point, it’s on him. You can’t help someone who is refusing to be helped. Even when I was suicidal last year I made sure to respond to every user who cared enough about me to reach out. You guys did your part in extending out a hand, now all you have to do it hope he extends his hand back.

I get why he left, and I genuinely like him as a user, but the fact that he’s ignoring so many of us that are reaching out of concern doesn’t sit right with me.

8 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

Edit: To be clear, I know these boards very well. I know Biggie and Boyle, etc. I know GI/Asylum. I've been here since IGN Boards in April 2001. My problems, I guess, are bigger than just that. 

:(  Through our particular subset of debate on Trump supporters I found a greater understanding of your position and why you feel the way you do about them. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

I'm mostly a lurker and I remembered you 😋 I think it's ok if you demonize the hardcore MAGA extremists just kinda avoided that thread. You need to keep posting here it's groups of people like us who need to change things in the world. Heated arguments are necessary so we can dig deep into our beliefs and convince others. Sometimes arguments will go off the rails, sometimes you will get trolled and sometimes it will feel like why should you even bother. However the people here are your friends and they either want you to agree with them or for you to convince them of your opinion. The far right will troll you and argue with you but it's all sinister and in the end they don't care about you.

• Like 1