Joe Biden beats Donald Trump, officially making Trump a one-term twice impeached, twice popular-vote losing president

4 minutes ago, thedarkstark said:

Needless to say the last 4 years have been a nightmare. The most painful part of the Trump presidency wasn't his policies it was the fact that millions of Americans (70 million if we're going by the polls) were swindled by him and bought into all of his bullshit, I thought we'd evolved beyond that but it just goes to show how one "charismatic" person can dupe a vulnerable populous with their bravado. While I laugh at him flopping around and flailing like a fish out of water the past few days, I also can't help but hope that he's not doing irreparable damage to the minds of those who cling to his every word. 

the problem with this thinking is the idea that these people didn’t want to hear everything Trump said. Many times during 2016 we’d hear Trump supporters say “he’s saying what we’re all thinking”. This is them saying the quiet part out loud. These people weren’t duped by Trump. They were inspired by the things he said. Their world view was legitimized with what he said, when he got nominated, and when he was elected. They finally had their champion. They no longer had to hide. They became emboldened. 

they were as afraid of losing this as we were it continuing. That’s why voter turnout was so high. It’s a bit scary to see how many turned up to vote for the first time just to hold on to their racist, sexist, tyrannical champion. But the box has been opened. They know how many just like them there are. If the Republican Party lets them they’ll try to elect another Trump. The scariest part is they may find one that’s smarter about concealing coruption and better at executing on some of these hateful policies. 

1 minute ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

the problem with this thinking is the idea that these people didn’t want to hear everything Trump said. Many times during 2016 we’d hear Trump supporters say “he’s saying what we’re all thinking”. This is them saying the quiet part out loud. These people weren’t duped by Trump. They were inspired by the things he said. Their world view was legitimized with what he said, when he got nominated, and when he was elected. They finally had their champion. They no longer had to hide. They became emboldened. 

they were as afraid of losing this as we were it continuing. That’s why voter turnout was so high. It’s a bit scary to see how many turned up to vote for the first time just to hold on to their racist, sexist, tyrannical champion. But the box has been opened. They know how many just like them there are. If the Republican Party lets them they’ll try to elect another Trump. The scariest part is they may find one that’s smarter about concealing coruption and better at executing on some of these hateful policies. 

Sadly I do agree with most of your points but I don't think everyone falls under that umbrella. Cults are a thing for a reason, people fall under the spell of... for lack of a better word "charismatic" people because they feel like they lack a sense of purpose or belonging and somebody comes along and gives them one. I think a lot of people needed very little coercion to get there, many were already racist and as you said just needed a person to embolden them  but you can't convince me that the Holocaust would still happen without Hitler. I'm not in favor of censorship but the inflammatory remarks Trump has made the past few days is worrisome, if he were to issue a call to arms I'm certain many would heed it.  

Regardless the only thing we can do at this point is try and bridge the gap, hostility has never solved anything, you may not change the mind of the 40+ year old racist but perhaps you can win over his children, it's at least something to strive for.

7 minutes ago, thedarkstark said:

but you can't convince me that the Holocaust would still happen without Hitler.

Possibly true, but the willingness to commit those atrocities was there. While not all we’re eagerly ready to kill Jews, gays, Gypsies. Many were extremely willing to expel them from Germany. Hitler and Trump told people what they wanted to hear. 

21 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

This is exactly why Democrats need to pull their heads out of their asses and stop taking communities they expect to vote for them for granted.  Biden acknowledging black voters and telling the community he will fight for them is huge, but now the rest of the party needs to understand these words need to be put into action.  It drives us all crazy as to how dense the party can be at voter outreach and I'm sincerely hoping they've learned a lesson from this election.  While we did thankfully win at the end of the day, it also put a spotlight on voters that feel left out and need to be acknowledged.  I see change coming, but this change should have happened long ago and they need to spend the next four years fine-tuning it to prevent a potential Trump 2.0 from being elected.

I know Biden won't be the best president, I know that Republicans are still evil assholes and will obstruct everything. But Biden is a good, honest, empathetic man. And we needed that. We truly did. Trump is the worst kind of human being, the absolute worst, just a true garbage person. I became a father 2 weeks ago, and I actually feel more hopeful for the world. We need empathy, and for all his other flaws, Biden has it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vaxick said:

Trump isn't going to be happy when he wakes up.  It just happened.  

Well, we’re about to see trump both sides the Nazi’s. 

“Some would say the jews we’re controlling Germany”

uhhh, yes mr President, those were the Nazi’s who said that. Actual Nazi’s.

”fine people, both sides!” 

1 hour ago, thewhyteboar said:

I know Biden won't be the best president, I know that Republicans are still evil assholes and will obstruct everything. But Biden is a good, honest, empathetic man. And we needed that. We truly did. Trump is the worst kind of human being, the absolute worst, just a true garbage person. I became a father 2 weeks ago, and I actually feel more hopeful for the world. We need empathy, and for all his other flaws, Biden has it.

As much as I am not a fan of Biden, he really is a genuinely empathetic person. He won't be a great president, but this quality alone will speak volumes as we spend the next 4 years proving America to ourselves and the world. Much will be fixed. Much will return to Obama era level. I'll take that.

1 hour ago, vaxick said:

Trump isn't going to be happy when he wakes up.  It just happened.  

Biden isn't as pro-Israel as this fuck hopes but validation from iffy world leaders is still something.

I hope Donnie is crying in a corner in his bunker. That bitch.

I love that everyone is happy that like "at least Biden is an actual (mostly) functional human being! Man, remember those days?:daydream:"

Given how old he is, we might end up with President Harris before too long. That's actually something that kind of worries me. Not that I think she would be a bad president, just like the backlash from having a **n a s t y  b l a c k  w o m a n** as president for any length of time. I'm actually curious to know what happens in 2024, since I doubt Biden would run for a second term (he'd be 82 when the second term starts). Would the Dems run Biden again but ditch Kamala as VP? Is it going to be a free for all?

3 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

I love that everyone is happy that like "at least Biden is an actual (mostly) functional human being! Man, remember those days?:daydream:"

Given how old he is, we might end up with President Harris before too long. That's actually something that kind of worries me. Not that I think she would be a bad president, just like the backlash from having a **n a s t y  b l a c k  w o m a n** as president for any length of time. I'm actually curious to know what happens in 2024, since I doubt Biden would run for a second term (he'd be 82 when the second term starts). Would the Dems run Biden again but ditch Kamala as VP? Is it going to be a free for all?

I think it's pretty clear that Biden intends Harris to run in 2024. He said he's going to be a one-term president and this is her internship. 

I believe AOC turns 35 weeks before the election in 2024 which would make her legally eligible to run I believe. So she could run, and she would fucking kill it. I'd much prefer her over corporate centrist political operative Harris. Though I would accept Harris, she's smart and shrewd at least.

2 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

I think it's pretty clear that Biden intends Harris to run in 2024. He said he's going to be a one-term president and this is her internship. 

I believe AOC turns 35 weeks before the election in 2024 which would make her legally eligible to run I believe. So she could run, and she would fucking kill it.

I think AOC is planning that, judging from her tweets.

I'm thinking we might get something like Mittens vs. Harris. It would be fantastic if Trump ran as an independent.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Fizzzzle said:

I think AOC is planning that, judging from her tweets.

I'm thinking we might get something like Mittens vs. Harris. It would be fantastic if Trump ran as an independent.

I'm not sure I'm down with Trump running as anything, though if he did run as an independent I would enjoy that vote split from Republicans to hurt them more. But I do agree that AOC definitely seems to be intending something important in 4 years. 

A lot of people say she doesn't have the experience or it isn't her time. We'll see. Times are dire. I smell presidential run.

3 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

I believe AOC turns 35 weeks before the election in 2024 which would make her legally eligible to run I believe. So she could run, and she would fucking kill it. I'd much prefer her over corporate centrist political operative Harris. Though I would accept Harris, she's smart and shrewd at least.

Source?

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Reputator said:

I said he would do that exact thing myself, I'm just astonished to hear he may have spoken those intentions publicly.

Pretty sure he had been open about this since he got the democratic nomination. He always talked about being a "bridge" between the old democratic party and the younger, "New" democratic party.

so most likely?

Trump runs again or we do they escalate the sickness level and trot out Don Jr? (1st lady Guilfoyle?

Trump Jr is worse in my eyes.. hes a younger more sick version of the father.. likely to be more easily molded to be more “subtle” when needed yet equally vicious as the father

1 minute ago, Mercury33 said:

I don’t mind AOC. She says a lot of things I agree with but I think it would be a horrible idea for her to run for president anytime soon. The right and and even a chunk of the left can’t stand her. 

Yeah, that's what I think as well. Like, if Bernie couldn't even get nominated, AOC wouldn't stand a chance. Then again, we'll see how the landscape has changed in 4 years.

edit: I should mention I think it still might be interesting to see her run for president just to gauge her interest within the Democrat party. There's a growing schism within the party and I would be interested to see what the demographics are like in 2024.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

Yeah, that's what I think as well. Like, if Bernie couldn't even get nominated, AOC wouldn't stand a chance. Then again, we'll see how the landscape has changed in 4 years.

edit: I should mention I think it still might be interesting to see her run for president just to gauge her interest within the Democrat party. There's a growing schism within the party and I would be interested to see what the demographics are like in 2024.

she has too many detractors...

hell she was thinking of not running for reelection... she ran just to prove that these “new” radical ideas that folks like her are promoting are viable and the future..

theres pull from both sides to de-legitimize her