Joe Biden beats Donald Trump, officially making Trump a one-term twice impeached, twice popular-vote losing president

10 minutes ago, Jwheel86 said:

This is a big fucking deal for the disabled community and Tapper made so much better. 

It's awesome. My wife has MS, and though she has been visible-disability free for the last 2-3 years thanks to her treatments, she suffers from invisible disabilities such as powerful fatigue and neuropathic pain. In the past she has had to rely on a cane to walk during relapses. The disabled community is largely ignored in politics, and it really sucks. The most that people ever really think about disabled people are handicap parking spots...and that's usually because able-bodied people see someone who they think shouldn't be using one using one (like my wife). Lots of old buildings are simple inaccessible for people who rely on wheelchairs or assistive devices, and there is always a tonne of resistance to renovations because "the old building is so beautiful, we shouldn't ruin the charm." Fuck you, people matter more than old buildings.

Obviously rights for disabled people have come a long way in both Canada and the US, but they still have a long way to go, including more comprehensive disability programs for people who can no longer work.

3 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

It's awesome. My wife has MS, and though she has been visible disability free for the last 2-3 years thanks to her treatments, she suffers from invisible disabilities such as powerful fatigue, and neuropathic pain. In the past she has had to rely on a cane to walk during relapses. The disabled community is largely ignored in politics, and it really sucks. The most that people ever really think about disabled people are handicap parking spots...and that's usually because able-bodied people see someone who they think shouldn't be using one using one (like my wife). Obviously rights for disabled people have come a long way in both Canada and the US, but they still have a long way to go, including more comprehensive disability programs for people who can no longer work.

I noticed it and I fucking loved it. Yes, it is important. The disabled reporter impression Trump did is what inspired me to hate him with such fervency in the first place. To see this, YES. 

Also, I'm so sorry, MS is awful bru. I had no idea. Biden has a stutter - it's a small thing, but I think he understands disability in a small way from personal experience, and then just being the person he is.

1 minute ago, Greatoneshere said:

I noticed it and I fucking loved it. Yes, it is important. The disabled reporter impression Trump did is what inspired me to hate him with such fervency in the first place. To see this, YES. 

Also, I'm so sorry, MS is awful bru. I had no idea. Biden has a stutter - it's a small thing, but I think he understands disability in a small way from personal experience, and then just being the person he is.

Someone here on D1P has MS, in fact. It's often an invisible disease, and because it hits young people the most (25-35, primarily women), it often is not taken as seriously (even though, left untreated, it can lead to loss of independence and mobility). Fortunately it is basically the most well-researched auto-immune/neurological illness, and the treatments available for it have exploded. 20+ years ago there was 1 treatment that barely did anything. 10 years ago there were 6-7 treatments. Now there are close to 30, and the most effective (like Lemtrada, which my wife had infusions with) are basically chemotherapy which eliminates the immune system entirely before regrowing it, "curing" the MS (in about 30-50% of cases). In the two years prior to Lemtrada (but with a mid-effective drug) she gained something like 25 lesions on her brain, and suffered 3-5 relapses where she could barely walk. Since Lemtrada (three years ago) she hasn't developed a single new lesion, and has had possible one relapse (hard to tell, it was more minor). 

I would never say I am a single-issue voter (and in Canada it's not a controversial issue at all), but it is always at the forefront of my mind when voting (and here we have two left-wing parties, so there is actually a choice on this and other issues).

3 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

I would never say I am a single-issue voter (and in Canada it's not a controversial issue at all), but it is always at the forefront of my mind when voting (and here we have two left-wing parties, so there is actually a choice on this and other issues).

I had no idea. Thank you for sharing your wife's story. That's incredibly difficult. I'm dealing with a similar situation with a family member discovering they may have something similar (not MS, but a few immuno diseases) that I really can't get into. But I'm glad there's more hope than I expected in this day and age with MS. :) 

Either way, we need to acknowledge the disabled and many other communities much more.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Obviously rights for disabled people have come a long way in both Canada and the US, but they still have a long way to go, including more comprehensive disability programs for people who can no longer work.

A lot of the focus is actually on people with disabilities who want to work, but are limited not by their disability but by eligibility requirements to keep Medicaid. Medicaid is the only thing that pays for Long Term Care and a promotion could terminate eligibility. I have to be super careful I'm not a penny over $2,000 on the 1st of every month or I could lose Medicaid. 

14 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Powerful stuff:

despite the massive number of people that voted to keep Trump, knowing that just enough voted to get rid of him, to replace him with somebody better, and that the world sees us like this again, makes me proud of this country. Even if the feeling is fleeting, and there is seemingly insurmountable job to be done to not only undo the damage, but progress this nation. For a moment I feel proud of this country. 

19 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

despite the massive number of people that voted to keep Trump, knowing that just enough voted to get rid of him, to replace him with somebody better, and that the world sees us like this again, makes me proud of this country. Even if the feeling is fleeting, and there is seemingly insurmountable job to be done to not only undo the damage, but progress this nation. For a moment I feel proud of this country. 

There is no question that like how we got rid of Nixon in the 1970's, ultimately this country does not put up with fascist dictators. It's a low bar we barely met, but hey, this country still stops tyrants. Remember, we stopped McCarthy. We stopped Nixon. We have now stopped Trump. It takes us awhile, but we get there.

That's something. I say, feel proud today as an American. Whether we like it or not, the world does look to us. And today, we helped many of them rest easier. That's a win.

Also, Biden hates fascists and I think it's only gotten worse with time and wokeness. Putin, Duterte, Kim Jong Un, Bolsonaro, Xi Jinping - they are not liking this result, and I love it.

Muslim travel ban is gone. Kids in cages will be reunited with their families. Covid will be handled. Black Americans will start the path towards their empowerment. This is gonna be good. And I will be the first to criticize him on Jan. 21st, since I am a radical leftist. But normalcy and decency? Yes please.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

Honestly Biden was probably the worst on disability issues, not only weak policy but there were a few moments with disabled activists that REALLY pissed off the community (talked to one like he was retarded). He's miles better than Trump but Bernie grew the most going from completely ignoring us in 2016 to a 2020 disability agenda that I cried reading. The disabled community has a big agenda and wants to put some issues to bed, Marriage equality and Medicaid waiting lists are the big ones we want from Biden. 

2 minutes ago, Jwheel86 said:

Honestly Biden was probably the worst on disability issues, not only weak policy but there were a few moments with disabled activists that REALLY pissed off the community (talked to one like he was retarded). He's miles better than Trump but Bernie grew the most going from completely ignoring us in 2016 to a 2020 disability agenda that I cried reading. The disabled community has a big agenda and wants to put some issues to bed, Marriage equality and Medicaid waiting lists are the big ones we want from Biden. 

I am 100% with you. Biden is a centrist corporate Democrat who believes he can work with fucking Republicans. But perhaps he has changed. This is a new era my friend. Let's hope and whisper of a dream. We'll apply the screws to Biden if he doesn't follow the mandate.

But he mentioned disabled people. This is the beginning, I hope. But you are right - Biden is no Bernie. Stop reminding me I didn't get the candidate I wanted! :p 

My brother is in Louisiana this week and said that people there are very upset. Religious believe the Democratic party is actually really Satanic. Conservatives think Democrats don't want to work hard and just want a handout. Everyone had no opinion on Biden but we're more voting against Harris. There's just "something" about her that they don't like they say. They have a real problem that she's going to be the VP, that likely cost Biden some votes. 

21 minutes ago, Ricofoley said:

It'd be nice to imagine Romney and Murkowski being on that list means that they'd be willing to cross over and vote with Dems on a couple of key votes, but that seems like too much to hope for.

When it became clear that Biden was going to win but we probably wouldn't take the Senate I was going to quip something like, "If we worked with Nazi scientists to get to the moon we can work with Murkowski and Collins to get stimulus", but the sad fact is that McConnell will control the floor. During the Obama years McTurtle held up bills that would have gotten 60 votes.

3 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

I have loved seeing people tweet at their populist, nationalist leaders “you’re next” as response to the USA’s election of Biden. 

It is literally the cherry on top. When Biden during the third (technically, second, because Trump is a bitch) debate, Biden said: "I will be hard on Putin, Xi Jinping, etc." While I doubt he means that to the degree I want it, hell fucking yeah. Let them get nervous! Who's with me?!

3 minutes ago, SlipperySlope said:

My brother is in Louisiana this week and said that people there are very upset. Religious believe the Democratic party is actually really Satanic. Conservatives think Democrats don't want to work hard and just want a handout. Everyone had no opinion on Biden but we're more voting against Harris. There's just "something" about her that they don't like they say. They have a real problem that she's going to be the VP, that likely cost Biden some votes. 

Stop demonizing Trump supporters. We need to cradle them in our arms and sing them a racist lullaby so they feel all good and fuzzy for the mind swap magic trick we're supposed to have.

3 minutes ago, Chairslinger said:

When it became clear that Biden was going to win but we probably wouldn't take the Senate I was going to quip something like, "If we worked with Nazi scientists to get to the moon we can work with Murkowski and Collins to get stimulus", but the sad fact is that McConnell will control the floor. During the Obama years McTurtle held up bills that would have gotten 60 votes.

Guys, stop. We're gonna win the Senate. The Georgia run off is ours. It will be a nail biter. But we'll get there, and Kamala Harris will break any ties. By no means is the Senate determined yet. Don't despair. Red mirage, etc. :p 

Is it a guarantee? Absolutely not, but, I have a feeling.

4 minutes ago, SlipperySlope said:

It’s like I said in the thread about demonizing Trump supporters. This is not surprising. Sad, disappointing, but not surprising. This is what the Democratic Party will always be up against.  

Just now, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

It’s like I said in the thread about demonizing Trump supporters. This is not surprising. Sad, disappointing, but not surprising. This is what the Democratic Party will always be up against.  

I think Harris and Biden need to work on getting some redder areas (maybe not as red as the described ones) comfortable with her. Maybe have her lead some improvement plans around those places otherwise it will be hard for her to win 2024.

My brother was saying these people live in swampy areas with trailers that have had walls fall apart and they are just covered by tarps, with no running water or electricity. 

10 minutes ago, Chairslinger said:

we were able to work with Nazis to get to the moon, because their alternative was being tried for war crimes and hung. 

...I like where your head’s at, but I don’t know if we can hang every Republican. 

Just now, Greatoneshere said:

Guys, stop. We're gonna win the Senate. The Georgia run off is ours. It will be a nail biter. But we'll get there, and Kamala Harris will break any ties. By no means is the Senate determined yet. Don't despair. Red mirage, etc. :p 

Is it a guarantee? Absolutely not, but, I have a feeling.

The convention is that with Biden having just won, and it being a special election the Dems are in a tough spot.

That said, a lot of conventions have been broken this year and over the past four. And Abrams is looking like a miracle worker that single-handedly dragged Georgia 5 or 10 of those last yards to turn Georgia blue. So I definitely haven't given up hope.

Ossoff especially would be great to see win. His story has been kind of a microcosm of the Trump years and he trounced Purdue so hard in those debates it's just sad from even a non-partisan level when people reward these embarrassing Republican candidates just for having an R next to their name.

Same goes for Jones in Alabama. What a fucking embarrassment that they would elect that football goof over a man with Jones's resume.

9 minutes ago, SlipperySlope said:

I think Harris and Biden need to work on getting some redder areas (maybe not as red as the described ones) comfortable with her. Maybe have her lead some improvement plans around those places otherwise it will be hard for her to win 2024.

My brother was saying these people live in swampy areas with trailers that have had walls fall apart and they are just covered by tarps, with no running water or electricity. 

So we have to convince them of Biden/Harris when it was Trump who put them in their current predicament in the first place? Why didn't they have to be similarly convinced to go with Trump previously?

Yeah, I think I want to start demonizing Trump supporters.

2 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

So we have to convince them of Biden/Harris when it was Trump who put them in their current predicament in the first place? Why didn't they have to be similarly convinced to go with Trump previously?

Yeah, I think I want to start demonizing Trump supporters.

They've likely been in that predicament their whole lives, maybe for generations. I'm just saying there might be an opportunity to get votes and fix some shit too? 

• Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, SlipperySlope said:

They've likely been in that predicament their whole lives, maybe for generations. I'm just saying there might be an opportunity to get votes and fix some shit too? 

Sure, sure. Let's all keep telling ourselves that. It's been going great so far. Like this election wasn't close or anything. They DO NOT WANT TO BE CONVINCED. It's psychology 101. Both my younger brothers are MD's in psychiatry. It can't be undone, just beaten. Do I have to hold their hand, feed them food, check their diet, hug them to sleep, and explain basic math to these presumable adults as well? Good Christ. I didn't sign up to be their fucking nurse while they learn to go to the bathroom and vote intelligently.

Guys, drop the Stockholm Syndrome. It's starting to look unbecoming.

In 2008 I was 22 years old and when we elected Barack Obama as president it was the first time in my life that I really felt proud to be American. Pride has always felt like something that should be earned and not given. Even as a teenager I was very cynical because I saw flaws in a system that often felt "rigged" (electoral college, systematic racism, etc.). Seeing a black man get elected to the highest office gave me hope that we were headed for a brighter future.

Needless to say the last 4 years have been a nightmare. The most painful part of the Trump presidency wasn't his policies it was the fact that millions of Americans (70 million if we're going by the polls) were swindled by him and bought into all of his bullshit, I thought we'd evolved beyond that but it just goes to show how one "charismatic" person can dupe a vulnerable populous with their bravado. While I laugh at him flopping around and flailing like a fish out of water the past few days, I also can't help but hope that he's not doing irreparable damage to the minds of those who cling to his every word. 

I try not to get too hung up on politics and let it effect my mood, but god damn I'm proud today, We still have a lot of work to do but I'm hoping we won't repeat the mistakes of our past and hopefully we can move back toward mending our differences.  :flag: