What are you playing today?

Took a chance on a Fanatical Bundle, specifically the Discovery one for $5.  There's this pretty competent DK Returns clone in there.

Maybe not quite on the level of Yooka & the Impossible Lair?  But they get the controls very right.  It's like the Kirby of these games, easy mode.  But still very fun.

@stepee There's a 3D platformer Smurf's game by the same developer as well.

• Halal 1

Tactics Ogre: Reborn- I don’t know about this one (for me, at least). Mechanically, it’s probably not that much more dense than the Fire Emblem game I just played, but it feels impenetrable. 

The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap- renewed my Nintendo Online subscription, and went for the Expansion Pass this time because apparently I need a 6th way to play some GBA games. 

3 hours ago, TheLeon said:

The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap- renewed my Nintendo Online subscription, and went for the Expansion Pass this time because apparently I need a 6th way to play some GBA games. 

I need to get around to it someday.  Minish Cap and Oracle of Ages are the only the only mainline Zelda games I haven't finished.

Actually, I guess not Phantom Hourglass or Spirit Tracks either.  But those games kind of suck.

6 hours ago, best3444 said:

Already 3 hours into TLOU part 1 on PS5. I can safely say this has entered my top 5 games of all-time. It's simply incredible in all areas. 

On top of this, I'm also 3 hours into Ratchet and Clank a Rift Apart. It looks so fucking amazing! 😆 

It's also very enjoyable to play with a cute story. 

7 hours ago, crispy4000 said:

I need to get around to it someday.  Minish Cap and Oracle of Ages are the only the only mainline Zelda games I haven't finished.

Actually, I guess not Phantom Hourglass or Spirit Tracks either.  But those games kind of suck.

I just started minish cap a couple days ago when I noticed it on my switch. Fun lil game

Persona 4: Golden.

So, I really like the Persona series (well, 5, which is the only one I’ve played) and I’m enjoying this - except I’ve just worked my way through the first castle and I really, really hope they become more interesting…I didn’t love the Palaces in 5, but they did at least have variety on their side, but yeah…not but so far that I haven’t been vaguely charmed by. 

Update: after writing this I ended up playing away on my Switch for the entirety of the time my wife was watching Shutter Island. 

Update 2: and another hour this evening meeting up with friends, studying hard, went to the castle and got demolished by some big bear looking thing…I don’t know what’s wrong with me.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, TheLeon said:

Finally jumping into RE4 Remake. Just started Chapter 3. I’m playing on hardcore, which I kind of regret, but at this point I’m committed.

You're a badass to play on hardcore. You may struggle pretty hard on a few bosses. I hope you don't and enjoy it. It's a great game. 

I was looking for something in the same vein as Stardew Valley without the strict time constraints (very quick days), and I found Sun Haven, which just released a short bit ago. It, instead of just a farming sim, involves fantasy elements into it as well, and I've already put in over 100 hours into it. It's a lot of fun.

For some reason I decided to play through all of Rocky Rodent?

It’s okay, probably a 7/10 for that era. It’s a snes Sonic Clone that I’ve played the first level of a bunch of times but never further. It gets better as it goes but it definitely also serves as a reminder that Sonic really was something special on that era and how much that game has over the more mid platformers like this in terms of level design, physics, and game feel. Some nice art and it was fun though. I’m on the last boss so I’ll finish it tonight. 

Kind of a new goal where I want to play through more older games using saves states and rewind as needed (this is too difficult for me to brother trying to beat without rewind for example, I’m not restarting levels let alone the entire game due to game over in 2023) 

Theres so many games I think about a lot or even love and have played the first 1/4th a bunch of times but just never got further that I’d like to see all the levels to.

1 hour ago, stepee said:

It’s okay, probably a 7/10 for that era. It’s a snes Sonic Clone that I’ve played the first level of a bunch of times but never further. It gets better as it goes but it definitely also serves as a reminder that Sonic really was something special on that era and how much that game has over the more mid platformers like this in terms of level design, physics, and game feel. Some nice art and it was fun though. I’m on the last boss so I’ll finish it tonight. 

And this is why you needed that new computer you just got. :sickos:

• Shocked 1
  • Haha 1

On the 3rd ‘dungeon’ in PS4, got to the boss and was having a pretty hard time of it and ended up dying. I looked at a walkthrough to see if I was missing anything and recommended level was 24, my level…16. Clearly all those fights is been avoiding have come back to haunt me! Either way, I’ve loaded up my previous save (before entering the dungeon) and I’ll spend some time grinding. 

17 hours ago, stepee said:

Kind of a new goal where I want to play through more older games using saves states and rewind as needed (this is too difficult for me to brother trying to beat without rewind for example, I’m not restarting levels let alone the entire game due to game over in 2023) 

Theres so many games I think about a lot or even love and have played the first 1/4th a bunch of times but just never got further that I’d like to see all the levels to.

It'd be fun just to have a what are you playing thread for the randomest shit we can think of.  I'm pretty sure I have plenty of deep cuts like that which almost no one would know about.

12 hours ago, crispy4000 said:

It'd be fun just to have a what are you playing thread for the randomest shit we can think of.  I'm pretty sure I have plenty of deep cuts like that which almost no one would know about.

I was thinking of making a random games you are playing thread but then figured it could just fit in here! I don’t think we need to worry about flooding it or anything.

But yeah maybe  another thread for quick takes on random shit could be good! I play all sorts of random games in addition to my more serious play throughs like yesterday I played the T16 version of Cadash for no apparent reason.

1 hour ago, stepee said:

I was thinking of making a random games you are playing thread but then figured it could just fit in here! I don’t think we need to worry about flooding it or anything.

But yeah maybe  another thread for quick takes on random shit could be good! I play all sorts of random games in addition to my more serious play throughs like yesterday I played the T16 version of Cadash for no apparent reason.

Maybe we just do a summer month.  Like a Random Game July or something.  To try the weirdest stuff you’d never get around to otherwise.

• Like 1