Red Dead Redemption 2 (PC) OT

Commissar SFLUFAN

Red Dead Redemption 2 for PC will also be available to pre-order at the Epic Games store, Greenman Gaming, the Humble Store, GameStop and additional digital retailers starting October 23rd with a pre-order bonus of 25 Gold Bars for Red Dead Online. Red Dead Redemption 2 for PC will also be available to purchase on Steam this December.

The best preorder bonuses are on the Rockstar Games Launcher btw: 

https://www.ign.com/articles/2019/10/04/red-dead-redemption-2-officially-announced-for-pc?=exclude

Rockstar will be giving away pre-order bonuses exclusively on the Rockstar Launcher.

Pre-order bonuses for the Rockstar Games Launcher for RDR2 include free upgrades to the Special Edition and Ultimate Edition's of the game, which will mark $20 USD off the original purchase price.

Bonuses for RDR2 include an Outlaw Survival Kit for Story Mode:

• War Horse for Story Mode
  • Treasure Map for Story Mode
  • Cash Bonus for Story Mode
  • 50 Gold Bars for Red Dead Online

More details will release on October 9 for RDR2 on PC, including screenshots and system specifications.

Good to hear, but I'll wait to see how the port is. I played about 30 hours of the Xbox One X version and its an odd game of high quality world building and functional drudgery. I wouldn't mind owning this one just to experience the world at its best fidelity, but if I'm being honest, I'll likely not finish it.  

If they actually do proper M&KB support, it could be orders of magnitude better than the console version.

Granted, they ought to have had much better controls for controller than they did, but I feel like it's harder to screw up M&KB. But hey, maybe they'll surprise me!

I mean, I wasn't the one who bought RDR2(thx wade), but I sure as shit won't own it on PC unless it is basically free at some point. Even if the controls are amazingly fixed and perfect, outside of the main story, the SP shit is kinda weak. Hunting is overall pointless. Not too many side activities that are worth the players time, only the stranger missions. And I can't see them making the gunplay good.

2 hours ago, legend said:

If they actually do proper M&KB support, it could be orders of magnitude better than the console version.

Granted, they ought to have had much better controls for controller than they did, but I feel like it's harder to screw up M&KB. But hey, maybe they'll surprise me!

2 hours ago, eggydoo said:

gta5 m/kb i thought was pretty bad except shooting....driving around was terrible, esp the races.  I would switch to controller.

Mouse and keyboard has always been like this with GTA on PC. With San Andreas, motorcycles actually handled decently and you could manage to fly the plane, but it was nigh-impossible to drive a car without hitting anything and the helicopter was literally broken. 

I imagine a horse might control okay with WASD though. Depends on how many really sharp turns/etc are required.

50 minutes ago, Jason said:

Mouse and keyboard has always been like this with GTA on PC. With San Andreas, motorcycles actually handled decently and you could manage to fly the plane, but it was nigh-impossible to drive a car without hitting anything and the helicopter was literally broken. 

I imagine a horse might control okay with WASD though. Depends on how many really sharp turns/etc are required.

When I play shooters on PC that also have vehicles, I often leave a controller next to me and just switch when I get in a vehicle.

That said, you also have to shoot while on horse in this game, which would benefit from the KB&M!

I suppose it's unclear how well it will end up and I probably won't be re-purchasing the game to find out :p

8 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

It kinda reads as everyone but steam one month exclusive for reasons.

They make significantly more on the other storefronts (the storefronts take a lesser cut). So they know there’s a big chunk of people who will get it wherever it is day one, and it’s probably smart to then keep the gap between allowing it on steam pretty short so people who have the principled thing of they’ll never ever use the EGS don’t lose interest. 

9 hours ago, legend said:

9 hours ago, eggydoo said:

gta5 m/kb i thought was pretty bad except shooting....driving around was terrible, esp the races.  I would switch to controller.

GTA5's shooting mechanics are still well below every other major third/first person game.

But what other games have spoiled me on is the responsiveness of character movement.  Breath of the Wild has spoiled the constrains of obstacles and barriers (like walls).  Games like Apex, Titanfall, Just Cause, Akrham series, Middle-Earth, and etc have spoiled me on vertical-ity.  Open world games without a quick way to maneuver around and/or OVER obstacles just feel so antiquated.  Red Dead probably won't suffer as much from this because of it's overworld design and setting, but I find free roaming in GTA5 boring because of this.

55 minutes ago, Paperclyp said:

They make significantly more on the other storefronts (the storefronts take a lesser cut). So they know there’s a big chunk of people who will get it wherever it is day one, and it’s probably smart to then keep the gap between allowing it on steam pretty short so people who have the principled thing of they’ll never ever use the EGS don’t lose interest. 

Green Man Gaming  and Humble take a 30% cut.

So again. For reasons.

I'm just gonna say it:  Rockstar can build one hell of a world, but their games just aren't that fun to me personally.  GTA 5 was the very first GTA game that I was able to stick with long enough to finish.

I did sort of like the first Red Dead, but never finished it; if I ever get around to RDR2, I'm probably not finishing it either.

Red Dead Redemption 2 PC System Requirements Detailed; Requires 150 GB Of Free Storage Space

Red Dead Redemption 2 Minimum Specifications:

Processor: Intel Core i5-2500K / AMD FX-6300

Memory: 8GB

Graphics Card: Nvidia GeForce GTX 770 2GB / AMD Radeon R9 280 3GB

HDD Space: 150GB

Sound Card: DirectX Compatible

Red Dead Redemption 2 Recommended Specifications

Processor: Intel Core i7-4770K / AMD Ryzen 5 1500X

Memory: 12GB

Graphics Card: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 6GB / AMD Radeon RX 480 4GB

HDD Space: 150GB

Sound Card: DirectX Compatible

150 GB of HD space!  :shock:

I am thinking of preordering through the Rockstar Launcher -- given the way they are handling the pre-orders, it makes it hard for me to determine whether I would get a better deal thru GMG by waiting...

Edit:  More Details from PC Gamer

We'll need to do our own benchmarking before we decide what specs we recommend. Though Rockstar didn't specify, 'minimum' specs often target 1080p 30 fps, while 'recommended' specs tend to target 1080p 60 fps. Many of us enjoy games at 1440p and want to target 120 fps or higher, and we'll find out what you'll need for that kind of performance once we've got a build.

No surprises, though: A 2018 console game shouldn't require a beast of a PC. That said, Rockstar's done some work on RDR2 since its console release. According to the developer, the PC version will include:

• Increased draw distance
  • "Higher quality" global illumination and ambient occlusion
  • "Improved" snow trails
  • "Improved" reflections and higher resolution shadows
  • Tessellated tree textures
  • "Improved" grass and fur textures
  • HDR support
  • Unlocked resolution (4K and higher)
  • Ultrawide aspect ratio and multi-monitor support
  • Unlocked framerate

The most important takeaways from our perspective are the unlocked resolution and the unlocked framerate, which PC Gamer confirmed with Rockstar separately from today's press release, which just promised "faster" framerates.

We'll need to do our own benchmarking before we decide what specs we recommend. Though Rockstar didn't specify, 'minimum' specs often target 1080p 30 fps, while 'recommended' specs tend to target 1080p 60 fps. Many of us enjoy games at 1440p and want to target 120 fps or higher, and we'll find out what you'll need for that kind of performance once we've got a build.

No surprises, though: A 2018 console game shouldn't require a beast of a PC. That said, Rockstar's done some work on RDR2 since its console release. According to the developer, the PC version will include:

• Increased draw distance
  • "Higher quality" global illumination and ambient occlusion
  • "Improved" snow trails
  • "Improved" reflections and higher resolution shadows
  • Tessellated tree textures
  • "Improved" grass and fur textures
  • HDR support
  • Unlocked resolution (4K and higher)
  • Ultrawide aspect ratio and multi-monitor support
  • Unlocked framerate
  • Missions just totally axed because there was no salvaging this horse shit (lol) so the game is now completely free roaming only, enjoy moron
  • Gameplay, controls and everything else completely redesigned and given to some random dev that has designed anything after Vice City and doesn't fucking hate playing video games

The most important takeaways from our perspective are the unlocked resolution and the unlocked framerate, which PC Gamer confirmed with Rockstar separately from today's press release, which just promised "faster" framerates.

Wow, the last two improvements in that list genuinely sell me on this as an improved experience.