Red Dead Redemption 2 (PC) OT

Commissar SFLUFAN

Red Dead Redemption 2 Is Having A Rough Launch On PC [Updated]

Red Dead Redemption 2 is out on PC today. A lot of players, myself included, are already having some issues. Here are some of the problems you might be running into and some possible fixes that have been discovered so far.

Rockstar has added some crash troubleshooting tips, which include some of the tips listed here. The developer has also issued a Rockstar Launcher patch that will hopefully put an end to the stuck decrypting and launcher crashes.

I played a few of the intro missions earlier today, with no problems.  My GTX-1070 is struggling a little -- looks like I will need a new graphics card early next year!

3 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

How much better does it look on PC than the XboneX version? I’m pretty surprised by the benches I’m seeing considering it was native 4k and locked to 30fps on XboneX

I haven't seen the XB1X version -- however, the PC gaming sites seem to think it looks much better on medium than XB1X does.  I have seem some discussion that the graphical improvements going from medium to high and again to Ultra are relatively minimal.  PC reviewers did not receive the game early, so I would expect more detailed impressions from the usual folks late this week.

36 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

I haven't seen the XB1X version -- however, the PC gaming sites seem to think it looks much better on medium than XB1X does.  I have seem some discussion that the graphical improvements going from medium to high and again to Ultra are relatively minimal.  PC reviewers did not receive the game early, so I would expect more detailed impressions from the usual folks late this week.

So you're telling me my 1060 6GB isn't totally screwed?  Hmmm... I'll still wait for a new rig.

1 hour ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

That’s surprising because it was already one of the best looking games this gen when running on the X1X. I’m hoping for some side-by-side comparisons to see the difference.

Does the game support DLSS at all? That would probably make a huge difference for 4k.

1 hour ago, crispy4000 said:

So you're telling me my 1060 6GB isn't totally screwed?  Hmmm... I'll still wait for a new rig.

My GTX-1070 is generally in the high 30s on medium, it was about 30 on near-ultra. All at 1440p - I haven’t played with it to see if I can get much higher than that. 

43 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

That’s surprising because it was already one of the best looking games this gen when running on the X1X. I’m hoping for some side-by-side comparisons to see the difference.

Does the game support DLSS at all? That would probably make a huge difference for 4k.

I didn’t see an option for DLSS. 

I am sure Digital Foundry will do something in-depth. 

38 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Less “fog” on PC keeping stuff sharper in the distance, as well as more strands of fur/hair on animals/people. Otherwise, I’m not seeing much difference. :confused: 

Video doesnt specify what setting the PC is using which would be nice.

Denser foliage, character models are more detailed,shadows and better ambient light. The big upgrade seems to be 60 fps.

7 minutes ago, SimpleG said:

Video doesnt specify what setting the PC is using which would be nice.

It’s ultra.

Denser foliage, character models are more detailed,shadows and better ambient light.

The only difference I was noticing on the character models was the added/denser hair. But I was streaming this to my TV while sitting ob my couch, so I may have noticed more if I had it on my monitor and was sitting closer. The differences seem kinda negligible overall, and certainly leaves the performance cost in question when compared to the console version, IMO.

The big upgrade seems to be 60 fps.

A 2080 Ti barely averages past 40fps in 4k @ Ultra sadly :/ 

1 minute ago, Spork3245 said:

It’s ultra.

Not to be an ass but where is that stated?

5 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

The only difference I was noticing on the character models was the added/denser hair. But I was streaming this to my TV while sitting ob my couch, so I may have noticed more if I had it on my monitor and was sitting closer. The differences seem kinda negligible overall, and certainly leaves the performance cost in question when compared to the console version, IMO.

Check out 2:30 to 3:00 it covers most of what I stated but is it worth the cost probably not