Joker Trailer and Discussion Thread

Todd Phillips and Warner showed it just now at Cinemacon. Not what I expected but in a really good way. Philips describes the film as a tragedy and it certainly looks it.

Todd Phillips is an underrated filmmaker who has always had a dark streak (see: The Hangover 2 and War Dogs), the fact that Scorsese flirted with producing it definitely means something, the fact it also stars Robert Deniro and the film is meant to be an ode to Scorsese's The King of Comedy make everything more intriguing, and it stars Joaquin Phoenix, who doesn't just do random projects for no reason.

I don't know if this will be good, but I'm definitely interested in it.

So does this movie exist outside of Batman?  Like the Venom movie without Spiderman...

It feels like if they even reference Batman a little bit at the end then people are going to want a sequel.  I could be wrong but this feels like it's own thing - a one shot movie that might not be getting any sequels.  

56 minutes ago, number305 said:

So does this movie exist outside of Batman?  Like the Venom movie without Spiderman...

It feels like if they even reference Batman a little bit at the end then people are going to want a sequel.  I could be wrong but this feels like it's own thing - a one shot movie that might not be getting any sequels.  

It probably won't mention Batman but it will have the Wayne family and child Bruce. 

MV5BNWQ3ZWI5NmYtODcwZS00MTY3LTgwZmQtMTdh

Bruce Wayne

MV5BMTI0NzI0MzU1M15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMjM0

Brett Cullen-Thomas Wayne

MV5BMTQyMzY3MzU3MV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMDYw

Douglas Hodge-Alfred Pennyworth

Not sure who is playing Martha Wayne.

1 hour ago, Remarkableriots said:

It probably won't mention Batman but it will have the Wayne family and child Bruce. 

MV5BNWQ3ZWI5NmYtODcwZS00MTY3LTgwZmQtMTdh

Bruce Wayne

So future sequel with Batman features the dark knight beating up a guy pushing 70 in clown makeup?

That's such a weird age gap to go with. Batman and Joker should be contemporaries.

1 hour ago, Ghost_MH said:

So future sequel with Batman features the dark knight beating up a guy pushing 70 in clown makeup?

That's such a weird age gap to go with. Batman and Joker should be contemporaries.

I mean, maybe they make a sequel, but the plan is for this to be a one shot. DC film as far as live action is now

1. The soft reboot DCEU where each film work independently of each other but without directly contradicting the other (Aquaman, Shazam, Birds of Prey, WW84, The Batman) leaving open team up films in the future.

2. These one shot movies like Joker and The Kitchen, based off DC properties but with no connection to any other films. Sequels aren’t precluded, but they aren’t the intention which allows the filmmakers to play in the world of DC without being beholden to any other stories.

31 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

I mean, maybe they make a sequel, but the plan is for this to be a one shot. DC film as far as live action is now

1. The soft reboot DCEU where each film work independently of each other but without directly contradicting the other (Aquaman, Shazam, Birds of Prey, WW84, The Batman) leaving open team up films in the future.

2. These one shot movies like Joker and The Kitchen, based off DC properties but with no connection to any other films. Sequels aren’t precluded, but they aren’t the intention which allows the filmmakers to play in the world of DC without being beholden to any other stories.

I'm aware of that. It's more about introducing a Joker that isn't a contemporary of Batman's. It's weird. I would have preferred no Bruce Wayne or even just a teenage Bruce Wayne if we don't want Batman to be around. The Joker is so tied to the Batman mythos, I can understand why he'd be there; just not as a kid.

I don't know. It could work out great. In the end, this is WAY more Joker origin than I ever wanted, but that doesn't mean it still can't be good.