Joker Trailer and Discussion Thread

14 hours ago, ALIEN-gunner said:

This is honestly the best thing I've ever seen from current DC and better than anything Marvel has ever put on film. I'm amazed how realistic this movie is going to be. The streets are so gritty and real I could almost smell the piss and trash on the streets. 

I'm not sure if you are joking or not.

Comic book movies are a poor place to look for or expect realism.  I know that Nolan tried to push in that direction and had success - but overall to try to contain comic books in a realistic setting is to misunderstand the whole set up.

On 4/4/2019 at 7:28 AM, number305 said:

I'm not sure if you are joking or not.

Comic book movies are a poor place to look for or expect realism.  I know that Nolan tried to push in that direction and had success - but overall to try to contain comic books in a realistic setting is to misunderstand the whole set up.

I'm not joking and I don't think comic book movies are a poor place to expect realism, Nolan had success which you pointed out. Joker is going to be different. It's looking to be a tragedy, a character story about a man with mental illness that just happens to be set in world which originated from a comic book. 

• 4 months later...
On 4/3/2019 at 6:20 PM, ALIEN-gunner said:

This is honestly the best thing I've ever seen from current DC and better than anything Marvel has ever put on film. I'm amazed how realistic this movie is going to be. The streets are so gritty and real I could almost smell the piss and trash on the streets. 

Yup... a lot of this was shot in my hometown which had been a standin fo try Gotham several times in movies. And it really is that... gritty as you put it.

4 hours ago, Brick said:

Is it a meme, or just people forgetting to replace that text in meme generators? 

3 hours ago, johnny said:

I think it’s a meme because somebody forgot to replace the bottom text so people ran with it 

anti-meme

On 8/28/2019 at 6:38 PM, Brick said:

Or thought V for Vendetta (the movie) spoke about how truly shit government is and now they're an anarchist, man! 

The government didn’t help its case push for and completely bungling Brexit. And I’m sure parliament was full of asshats when V for Vendetta released too. 

Joker does look good though. It very much draws inspiration from Killing Joke, in that we’re seeing a troubled man sink further and further into insanity until he snaps. 

On 4/3/2019 at 1:20 PM, Ghost_MH said:

So future sequel with Batman features the dark knight beating up a guy pushing 70 in clown makeup?

That's such a weird age gap to go with. Batman and Joker should be contemporaries.

Or perhaps “Arthur” inspires the “real” Joker..

or perhaps theres a “dishonest” narrator at play in the film

It’s OK. Phoenix is amazing, but there is little character to study in this character-study. I’m still glad Warners is making these sorts of films in the currently bland landscape of comic book film.

28 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

It’s OK. Phoenix is amazing, but there is little character to study in this character-study. I’m still glad Warners is making these sorts of films in the currently bland landscape of comic book film.

My buddy wrote a similar review for I09. He said the movie was confused and didn't seem to know what it wanted to say. He also said that may be intentional given the main character.

4 hours ago, sblfilms said:

It's perhaps an odd time to give a character study to a misunderstood, mentally ill white guy known for mass murder.

Then again, The Punisher is basically "what if mass shootings were done by a protagonist" and people are still into it, so what the hell do I know.

37 minutes ago, Mercury33 said:

Maybe I’m totally misreading the trailers. But Arthur seems to have a meaningful relationship with not one but two women in the film. He doesn’t seem like an “incel” at all. So wtf is Indiewire talking about. 

One is his mom and the other probably isn’t accepting the D.

In other semi serious takes, I am glad that a someone so terrible is named A. Fleck.

• Haha 1