Report: Sony in "advanced talks" to acquire Take-Two Interactive (2K, Rockstar, etc.)

Commissar SFLUFAN

36 minutes ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

For this deal to make sense, I would think Sony will have to consider the supporting the PC market.  A streaming service or short term agreement with Valve for 2k and Rockstar games. 

Consider, perhaps, but no obligation.  I doubt we'd see games delisted, but its possible for many of their franchises to go console-only going forward.

The biggest question marks would be Civ and Kerbal.

29 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

Consider, perhaps, but no obligation.  I doubt we'd see games delisted, but its possible for many of their franchises to go console-only going forward.

The biggest question marks would be Civ and Kerbal.

Obviously, games that are already on PC would still be on PC. Future games, though? Olo

2 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

Why?

TTWO current valuation factors in that all of its IPs are on every platform from consoles, PCs and mobile which allows for greater revenue opportunities. Buying the company at that valuation and limiting to Sony consoles, it would take forever to recoup the investment. It makes no sense unless Sony is moving to a subscription service ala Microsoft and is willing to let its IPs be on mobile and PC. Everything we know about Sony, this seems extremely unlikely so I doubt this will happen. 

According to Business Insider, this is bullshit. 

5 minutes ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

It makes no sense unless Sony is moving to a subscription service ala Microsoft and is willing to let its IPs be on mobile and PC. Everything we know about Sony, this seems extremely unlikely so I doubt this will happen. 

Sony does allow it’s IP on mobile. They do also have their streaming service subscription which works on pc. They’ve also open up to streaming on iOS (android has been around for years). 

I generally agree with your assessment on TT valuation having a percentage based on the PC market thanks to the likes of GTA Online.

18 minutes ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

TTWO current valuation factors in that all of its IPs are on every platform from consoles, PCs and mobile which allows for greater revenue opportunities. Buying the company at that valuation and limiting to Sony consoles, it would take forever to recoup the investment. It makes no sense unless Sony is moving to a subscription service ala Microsoft and is willing to let its IPs be on mobile and PC. Everything we know about Sony, this seems extremely unlikely so I doubt this will happen. 

According to Business Insider, this is bullshit. 

If they're going to still release on multiple platforms (not counting mobile, because lol) then there's no point in purchasing them. The idea would be to increase hardware sales and the Sony platform userbase by forcing gamers to purchase a Sony console to play GTA and RDR. Sony would be looking at long-term, not short-term here.

You might be able to play on their streaming service, but you're not going to get actual PC releases if this happens (which of their IPs is actually available for purchase on PC and isn't the console version being streamed?). Do you honestly believe that PC sales are a large make-up of that evaluation or the other consoles? By this logic it would make more sense for Sony to still release all the games on MS consoles.

Since Playstation’s biggest strength (only strength?) is its third-party partnerships, this would kind of make sense. 

As someone that doesn’t play Rockstar or 2K’s games (and primarily plays on Nintendo hardware) this move wouldn’t effect me at all. Good luck to all those involved! 

8 minutes ago, GameDadGrant said:

Since Playstation’s biggest strength (only strength?) is its third-party partnerships, this would kind of make sense. 

As someone that doesn’t play Rockstar or 2K’s games (and primarily plays on Nintendo hardware) this move wouldn’t effect me at all. Good luck to all those involved! 

Odd comment as someone who games only on nintendo hardware you’d know 3rd parties are throwing whatever they can at the switch.

This is like saying oh I won’t see Atlas or Namco games on switch anymore but that’s ok for whatever reason

2 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Odd comment as someone who games only on nintendo hardware you’d know 3rd parties are throwing whatever they can at the switch.

This is like saying oh I won’t see Atlas or Namco games on switch anymore but that’s ok for whatever reason

Atlus or Namco I’d be more worried about. But I’m a weirdo that doesn’t like Rockstar’s games (sorry, EVERYONE) and I’m honestly not sure what 2K makes. Bioshock? 

Either way, meh. 

1 minute ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Civilization is a pretty big series

Also meh. To me.

Furthermore, what has Rockstar or 2K put on Switch so far, in the two years it has been on the market? One game? Maybe two? 

What has either of them put on 3DS before that, a system that is going on it’s 8th year now?

If this news pans out (not likely, but we’ll see) this is kind of non-news to me. But wake me up if Sony starts throwing money at Atlus or Namco or Capcom. Then I’ll be in freak-out mode...!