Avengers: Endgame Trailer and Discussion Thread

Pikachu

Spoiler

Also about the all female lineup shot; one of my coworkers said she loved it. That's who it's made for. Yes maybe it's "forced" or "pandering", but shut up it's fan service for a very specific group of fans, and really no different than any other kind of fan service we've gotten before. Great little shot. 

2 hours ago, Reputator said:

One question I haven't seen anyone ask yet is...

Hide contents

Do you think Pepper's suit has an automatic vagina steamer built in?

Spoiler

It's powered by her jade vagina egg. 

4 hours ago, Brick said:
  Hide contents

Also about the all female lineup shot; one of my coworkers said she loved it. That's who it's made for. Yes maybe it's "forced" or "pandering", but shut up it's fan service for a very specific group of fans, and really no different than any other kind of fan service we've gotten before. Great little shot. 

Spoiler

I'm good with it.  In fact I think they have enough good female characters now that a female team up movie could be a good idea.  But they might need to leave Captain Marvel out of it.  The only thing that made me roll my eyes at that scene was that Captain Marvel didn't need any of their help at all. 

It would be like me offering my assistance to 1989 Mike Tyson if he was in a bar fight.  

1 hour ago, CitizenVectron said:

I remember someone on D1P/BC after Avengers 1 came out saying that the Avengers theme was completely forgettable...but now years later, I can't stop humming it. And the version used in this movie is incredible, Alan Silvestri really outdid himself:

That may have been me :p It's definitely grown on me since then.

1 hour ago, CitizenVectron said:

I remember someone on D1P/BC after Avengers 1 came out saying that the Avengers theme was completely forgettable...but now years later, I can't stop humming it. And the version used in this movie is incredible, Alan Silvestri really outdid himself:

MCU music is largely forgettable, but the Avengers theme has been one of the only memorable bits. 

15 hours ago, Brick said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Thanos used the soul stone against Dr Strange in Infinity War to take out all the duplicate Stranges and partially knock Strange’s soul out of his body. 

3 hours ago, sblfilms said:

MCU music is largely forgettable, but the Avengers theme has been one of the only memorable bits. 

The only 2 MCU songs I can think of are the Avengers theme and the jam that plays as Cap clears the boat of pirates at the start of Winter Soldier.

On a somewhat related Endgame topic...

Spoiler

I've only gotten more irritated that the final interaction with Cap and Bucky is Bucky standing behind a ways while Cap gives the shield to Sam. It's a "Leia walking past Chewbacca" level miss.

3 hours ago, Remarkableriots said:
  Hide contents

If they do a Next Avengers movie i hope Harley Keener becomes the new Iron Man. He was at the funeral for Tony Stark so i think he could return again.

Thank you! 

Spoiler

that's who that was! I've been racking my brain trying to place him.

so I just saw it for the second time and I have to say 

Spoiler

while it's a fun movie, they really screwed up a ton of stuff when time comes to the time traveling. They laid down some rules and then completely ignored them. You can't screw up the past, right? That's what they said. When you go back, the past actually your future so the past 'past' isn't screwed up....okay so if that is the case, why in the hell would Steve have to return the stones at all? He's not really taking the stones from the past he's taking them from the his present/future. This is definitely a movie where you can't/shouldn't analyze the logic of the time travel because there is no consitency :lol: 

5 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

The only 2 MCU songs I can think of are the Avengers theme and the jam that plays as Cap clears the boat of pirates at the start of Winter Soldier.

On a somewhat related Endgame topic...

Reveal hidden contents

The song that plays when Thanos sacrifices Gamora is very evocative... 

Spoiler

They also revisit that theme when Hawkeye and the Widow go to Soul world in Endgame.

2 minutes ago, EternallDarkness said:

Hide contents

while it's a fun movie, they really screwed up a ton of stuff when time comes to the time traveling. They laid down some rules and then completely ignored them. You can't screw up the past, right? That's what they said. When you go back, the past actually your future so the past 'past' isn't screwed up....okay so if that is the case, why in the hell would Steve have to return the stones at all? He's not really taking the stones from the past he's taking them from the his present/future. This is definitely a movie where you can't/shouldn't analyze the logic of the time travel because there is no consitency :lol: 

Because...

Spoiler

... of that dope as fuck, interactive, augmented reality Powerpoint presentation The Ancient One showed. If they don't put them back it's not that the future is altered, it's that there is no future at all.

Honestly I'm thinking the greatest power in the MCU is The Ancient One's presentation game. Ghost Bruce fucks with it and it just updates itself in real time! That's intuitive software. I'd pay tens of thousands of dollars to be able to use that shit at conferences. "And as you can see if you don't monitor your users effectively.... chaos," with some tight wipes to declining compliance and shittier adoption of new content.

• Haha 3

9 minutes ago, EternallDarkness said:

Thank you! 

Reveal hidden contents

Reveal hidden contents

There absolutely is consistency...

Spoiler

...Because when they are stating 'you can't screw up the past', they are referring to their own timeline/dimension, whereas it is very clear in the film that the 'past' they are visiting are really alternative timelines/dimensions. There was no way their plan could make Morgan disappear in their timeline/dimension, but it was entirely possible that their actions could cause the Morgan's in other timelines/dimensions to never exist.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, EternallDarkness said:

Hide contents

while it's a fun movie, they really screwed up a ton of stuff when time comes to the time traveling. They laid down some rules and then completely ignored them. You can't screw up the past, right? That's what they said. When you go back, the past actually your future so the past 'past' isn't screwed up....okay so if that is the case, why in the hell would Steve have to return the stones at all? He's not really taking the stones from the past he's taking them from the his present/future. This is definitely a movie where you can't/shouldn't analyze the logic of the time travel because there is no consistency :lol: 

Spoiler

My understanding is that when you go back in time, you cannot change something in order to change your future, so no killing baby Thanos to prevent everything he ever did. However, if you go in the past and change something significant, time branches off and that future could change. So the ancient one wanted the stone back so that her future, in her dimension, would be ok. I think there was something else about what happens when all the threads diverge that was bad, but I don't really remember.

So when Cap goes back in time at the end, he presumably gives everyone their stones back and then he lives out his life with Peggy in an alternate timeline/dimension, and then returns to the original one.

I agree that overall, you can't think about it too much. I hope they don't come back to time travel in the MCU. It's always a messy mechanic that ends up being less than satisfying, but it did produce some cool moments in this movie.

2 minutes ago, Chris- said:

Hide contents

...Because when they are stating 'you can't screw up the past', they are referring to their own timeline/dimension, whereas it is very clear in the film that the 'past' they are visiting are really alternative timelines/dimensions. There was no way their plan could make Morgan disappear in their timeline/dimension, but it was entirely possible that their actions could cause the Morgan's in other timelines/dimensions to never exist.

Exactly... This is all explained 

Spoiler

in the conversation between Banner and the Ancient One. She basically says that if he doesn't return the stones, it will cause HER timeline to split off into an alternate timeline where they are absolutely fucked. Sure if the Avengers wanted to be dicks, they didn't have to return the stones... but then the stones would still exist in THEIT timeline. By returning them, they ensure that the stones will still be destroyed and they will have minimized the damage.

I agree that the time travel stuff is a hot mess in this movie and will not hold up to scrutiny at all once people have a chance to really dig into the nitty gritty details... but sometimes you just have to roll with it. All you'll do is drive yourself crazy...

2 minutes ago, ort said:

Reveal hidden contents

In all fairness

Spoiler

NO time travel movie holds up to scrutiny because it's all made up shit. That's kinda the point which is why they had that whole conversation deconstructing time travel logic. Most people's concept of Time Travel comes from TWO movie series, Back to The Future and The Terminator and both of those films have their own rules, but none of it is based in actual fact or reality.

1 hour ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

Thanos used the soul stone against Dr Strange in Infinity War to take out all the duplicate Stranges and partially knock Strange’s soul out of his body. 

I literally mentioned that in my post you quoted lol

5 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:

Every time I hear it in my head, the Overwatch medals screen pops up at the end

Saw it again today. I've concluded it's one of those films that I see no point whatsoever in arguing about the logistics of anything. Live action cartoons and the "rules" pretty much come down to science magic. Still fun to watch though.

6 minutes ago, Pikachu said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Spoiler

If MCU time is self correcting, Loki will eventually get caught and the some will return to where it was supposed to have been. Also, if Tony sent Thanos and his crew back in time rather than actually killing them, then that closes that loop as well.

The Loki one is the only one I care about, because it would make for an interesting TV series. It would also be the easiest since it would be a prequel series and would mean Loki is still dead in the current universe.

5 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

That may have been me :p It's definitely grown on me since then.

im the same way, I still dont like it save for the low part at the beginning... but it does fit the scale of the last 2 movies..

the only other “memorable” theme is the one from Winter Soldier, a version of it plays when Cap is assaulting the tanker

1 hour ago, skillzdadirecta said:

In all fairness

Hide contents

NO time travel movie holds up to scrutiny because it's all made up shit. That's kinda the point which is why they had that whole conversation deconstructing time travel logic. Most people's concept of Time Travel comes from TWO movie series, Back to The Future and The Terminator and both of those films have their own rules, but none of it is based in actual fact or reality.

you forgot about TimeCop

1 hour ago, Chris- said:

Hide contents

but if that is the case then 

Spoiler

Tony shouldn't give a flying good shit what happens with their success or failure in their 'mission' to bring everyone back...his whole 'make sure you just bring everyone back now (5 years later) not when they disappeared would mean nothing because if they can't fuck up their past then Morgan was never in danger of not existing in his reality because her birth was already a part of the past and thus couldn't be changed. And if we are creating new realities/dimensions, then they Avengers and Steve in particular screwed up numerous ones. The Ancient One's reality is already been completely screwed. When Loki got away with the tesseract that branched off a new reality (which was the reality of the Ancient one that Banner was talking to was worried about)which wouldn't be fixed by Steve returning the Tesseract they took from the 70s. And Steve going back and living out a life with Peggy also created a new reality, and his little ripple of causing Peggy to never marry and have kids with the other guy likely caused massive waves in that reality. 

Abd yes I realize I am over analyzing this, but when it comes to time travel movies I always do :p 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, EternallDarkness said:

Reveal hidden contents

I think the fear Tony has is wishing away the last 5 years. The time stone is not the same as their time travel. Their time travel cannot change their future as it would crating a branching future. The Time stone allows one to make changes to the same time line. As they said in Dr Strange, it upsets the natural order of things.

something else 

is it really 2023?

Infinity War takes place right after Ragnarok, which is two years after Ultron. Not a major sticking point, but it could in actuality be 2022.

8 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

Hide contents

is it really 2023?

Infinity War takes place right after Ragnarok, which is two years after Ultron. Not a major sticking point, but it could in actuality be 2022.

not sure it makes a difference one way or the other 

Spoiler

it's still the future

The more I’m removed from the emotion of seeing the movie and the more i think about it...the more average the movie becomes. I think after all is said and done it settles in at a 7/7.5. Another fun but ultimately forgettable Marvel movie that plays more into fab service then take any actual risk to be great. Not saying I didn’t enjoy it. I did. But I think I’d rank it in the middle of the second tier of Comic Book movies. 

1 hour ago, EternallDarkness said:

Hide contents

Tony shouldn't give a flying good shit what happens with their success or failure in their 'mission' to bring everyone back...his whole 'make sure you just bring everyone back now (5 years later) not when they disappeared would mean nothing because if they can't fuck up their past then Morgan was never in danger of not existing in his reality because her birth was already a part of the past and thus couldn't be changed. And if we are creating new realities/dimensions, then they Avengers and Steve in particular screwed up numerous ones. The Ancient One's reality is already been completely screwed. When Loki got away with the tesseract that branched off a new reality (which was the reality of the Ancient one that Banner was talking to was worried about)which wouldn't be fixed by Steve returning the Tesseract they took from the 70s. And Steve going back and living out a life with Peggy also created a new reality, and his little ripple of causing Peggy to never marry and have kids with the other guy likely caused massive waves in that reality. 

Abd yes I realize I am over analyzing this, but when it comes to time travel movies I always do :p 

Spoiler

Loki stealing the Tesseract didn't remove it from that reality though. The Ancient One was referring to the Stones being taken out of their current reality in that universe. Loki taking it keeps it within that reality's universe, i.e. it's in a different space, not a different time. 

8 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:

3 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

The song that plays when Thanos sacrifices Gamora is very evocative... 

Reveal hidden contents

All these years I didn't realize Alan Silvestri did the Avengers scores, but what made me realize it was how reminiscent the song was during....

Spoiler

Iron Man's memorial

and the main theme from Castaway.

Did anyone else notice that?