Avengers: Endgame Trailer and Discussion Thread

Pikachu

2 minutes ago, Brick said:

Thor Lebowski was hilarious. Even moreso when you remember that Jeff Bridges played Obediah in the first Iron Man. 

Not saying it wasn't hard not to laugh at some of the Thor Lebowski stuff but you realize he was supposed to be deep into PTSD, right?

• Guillotine 2

Just now, Jason said:

Not saying it wasn't hard not to laugh at some of the Thor Lebowski stuff but you realize he was supposed to be deep into PTSD, right?

I don't often go into the deep structural meaning of movies, but I have to agree with a lot of the articles I've read out there that say Thor's arc from Ragnorack to Endgame was wonderfully subversive and defied hero stereotypes in fun ways.

So often when movies try to integrate these issues it feels forced and hard to enjoy the movie unless you have an attachment to that particular message.

But they found great and entertaining ways to tear down the Thor character without ruining him, and he still wasn't fully redeemed at the end of Endgame.

3 hours ago, Jason said:

Good job pointing that out for him when they talked about it in the movie 

5 hours ago, Jason said:

ok you got me, thought I was on resetera for a second

Back from the second viewing! I still loved it and got all the feels all over again. Some thoughts:

-Why did Clint have an ankle bracelet on? I know he made a deal to stay safe with his family but did that warrant him being under house arrest essentially? I guess so.

-You're definitely supposed to assume Captain Marvel was sent to search for them after she came to Earth in the post credits screens of her movie. She looks like just she does then.

-I have a much better understanding of the time travel theory in the movie after a second viewing. They explain it quite well and it makes sense for the story.

-I feel really bad for Thor. They cover it with humor but he's going through some serious PTSD. I wonder what the movie would have been like if they took the humor out of that aspect? Maybe a little too dark?

-The "Avengers Assemble!" line wasn't as exciting the second time around only because he says assemble so softly. Maybe cause at my first viewing every yelled when he said it so I got the impression Cap did too.

-The portals scene and music was still epic regardless! :)

-I wish they had a chance to showcase the "secondary" folks a little more in the final battle (like Groot, Drax, Mantis and the children of Thanos). I think IW did a better job at that.

-I thought they used Captain Marvel perfectly. I loved her fighting Thanos.

-I wish the memorial at the end was not only for Tony but also Natasha and Vision. I think it would have worked.

-I still don't know who that teenage kid was standing by himself at the funeral towards the back in front of Agent Hill.

-Bucky definitely knew what Cap was going to do before he went back in time. He even said, "I'll miss you". I don't think he would have said knowing he'd be back in 10 seconds unless he was kidding but I think he knew. Hence he knew to look for him.

-I'm fine with Sam being the new CA but his beard in that scene is ridiculous and he needs to fix that before dawning the suit. lol

-I think it makes sense within the time travel parameters they set for Cap to come back old. After he went back to the deliver the space stone he corrected that timeline and just stayed there. Perhaps there's more to it than that but I think it makes sense.

-I'm stoked for GotG3 with Thor apart of it! haha

Overall, IW and Endgame make me think of Kill Bill vol 1 & 2. Same story but very different movies. I enjoyed Endgame tremendously but I think I liked IW more because of all the action in it and really getting to see everyone shine. I even think the huge battle in Wakanda at the end of IW was better than the one in Endgame. Ok, I think that's it! Looking forward to where all of this goes in the future. :)

4 minutes ago, EternallDarkness said:

4 minutes ago, EternallDarkness said:

now was it just me or did Hawkeye's older son look Asian in that memorial scene?

Oh! Thank you! How the heck were we supposed to get that though? The kid's so much older. lol And why wasn't his mom with him?

He did but he's just very squinty eyed. I noticed that too.

4 hours ago, NeoJoe said:

-I feel really bad for Thor. They cover it with humor but he's going through some serious PTSD. I wonder what the movie would have been like if they took the humor out of that aspect? Maybe a little too dark? 

Thor was supposed to be in that classic PTSD state of using humor to cover for his actual feelings, and Hemsworth just has really great comedic delivery. I think it was supposed to be darker than Hemsworth's delivery made it.

• Like 1

So now that both Thanos movies have been out, what did everyone think of the change made to Thanos's intent of wiping out half the universe from the comics? In the comics he did it to impress Death, and I wonder if that would have stayed the same if Joss Whedon had stayed on as director. 

12 minutes ago, Brick said:

So now that both Thanos movies have been out, what did everyone think of the change made to Thanos's intent of wiping out half the universe from the comics? In the comics he did it to impress Death, and I wonder if that would have stayed the same if Joss Whedon had stayed on as director. 

I commented on this when Infinity War came out. I like the change. It made for a more complex villain in that most villains don't see themselves as villains and Thanos certainly didn't. Thanos' motivations, at least in his mind, were for the greater good and justified his extreme actions. We didn't see how power hungry and ruthless he really was and his TRUE intent until Endgame. I always like Thanos'  motivations in the comics, but for a movie, I think they would have been a little "comic-book-y" and a lot less complex than what we got. Even in the comics he eventually moved past his obsession with death.

On 5/3/2019 at 6:47 PM, Jason said:

Very much so.

On 5/3/2019 at 6:56 PM, Chairslinger said:

I don't often go into the deep structural meaning of movies, but I have to agree with a lot of the articles I've read out there that say Thor's arc from Ragnorack to Endgame was wonderfully subversive and defied hero stereotypes in fun ways.

So often when movies try to integrate these issues it feels forced and hard to enjoy the movie unless you have an attachment to that particular message.

But they found great and entertaining ways to tear down the Thor character without ruining him, and he still wasn't fully redeemed at the end of Endgame.

I agree.

At the end of Endgame, even with their success, Loki is still dead, Asgard is still gone, and he's abdicated rule of new Asgard (though he effectively did so a while back). They don't really bring it up, but they could also play around with the idea that Captain Marvel's presence means he's not really even the strongest avenger.

I'm hoping he really is in Guardians 3 and that the Thor 4 rumors are true. He's become both the most interesting avenger, the funniest one, and with Cap and Iron Man gone, the one with the longest arc. If they do a Thor 4, it could really go in any direction. Maybe a buddy cop movie with Captain Marvel or re-team with Hulk/banner. Heck, I think it would be fun to see him and Black Panther hang out, sure seems like they'd have a lot to discuss. Whatever they do with him, I think it might be the part of the MCU I'm looking forward to the most.

Something else that I think is worth taking from Thor's arc is how much it could be used as an argument against over planning things like the MCU. Thor changed so much as a character because Taika Waititi thought that Hemsworth was funnier than the movies had allowed him to be. Having some of the wider arcs planned out certainly helped the MCU at a really broad level, but allowing someone like Waititi to come in and change things up is the kind of flexibility that will allow the MCU to keep having success.

51 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I commented on this when Infinity War came out. I like the change. It made for a more complex villain in that most villains don't see themselves as villains and Thanos certainly didn't. Thanos' motivations, at least in his mind, were for the greater good and justified his extreme actions. We didn't see how power hungry and ruthless he really was and his TRUE intent until Endgame. I always like Thanos'  motivations in the comics, but for a movie, I think they would have been a little "comic-book-y" and a lot less complex than what we got. Even in the comics he eventually moved past his obsession with death.

See, I disagree that he was power hungry in Endgame. The contrast from him in Infinity War was a result of knowing he succeeded and these ungrateful and short sighted Avengers were trying to undo his work. 

And since they proved that there would be those that could not get passed their grief of losing people to be able to enjoy their new life, Thanos felt the only option left to having a perfect, balanced universe is to build it from scratch. 

In Infinity War Thanos was not fighting to kill the Avengers, because he wanted them to live (those that survived the snap) so they could see how right Thanos was. So they could see the results and know that what Thanos did needed to be done. But in Endgame he now knew they would never accept his gift to the universe. So he had to destroy them. So we got a more brutal Thanos. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

See, I disagree that he was power hungry in Endgame. The contrast from him in Infinity War was a result of knowing he succeeded and these ungrateful and short sighted Avengers were trying to undo his work. 

And since they proved that there would be those that could not get passed their grief of losing people to be able to enjoy their new life, Thanos felt the only option left to having a perfect, balanced universe is to build it from scratch. 

In Infinity War Thanos was not fighting to kill the Avengers, because he wanted them to live (those that survived the snap) so they could see how right Thanos was. So they could see the results and know that what Thanos did needed to be done. But in Endgame he now knew they would never accept his gift to the universe. So he had to destroy them. So we got a more brutal Thanos. 

He had to destroy them and everyone else. Power hungry may have been the wrong choice of words, but he was definitely more overtly "evil" and I think seeing his hard fought victory potentially being undone revealed more of his actual personality and intentions. The brutality was always there as evidenced by his treatment of Nebula, but he was able to fool himself into believing that he wasn't "evil" and was being fair. Either way I think movie Thanos is a fascinating, layered villain despite being different from the Thanos in the comics.

3 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

He had to destroy them and everyone else. Power hungry may have been the wrong choice of words, but he was definitely more overtly "evil" and I think seeing his hard fought victory potentially being undone revealed more of his actual personality and intentions. The brutality was always there as evidenced by his treatment of Nebula, but he was able to fool himself into believing that he wasn't "evil" and was being fair. Either way I think movie Thanos is a fascinating, layered villain despite being different from the Thanos in the comics.

I very much agree with this. He didn't seem like a villain in IW. He was more masked by his obsession with balance at any costs. But once he sees his future in Endgame, you see the Mad Titan come out in full force.

I'm really happy they changed his story for the movies and glad how they portrayed him. Doing everything he did for the love of a lady (even if she is Death) would have been a bit much for mainstream folks imo. I didn't mind it in the comics, however.

44 minutes ago, NeoJoe said:

4 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I very much agree with this. He didn't seem like a villain in IW. He was more masked by his obsession with balance at any costs. But once he sees his future in Endgame, you see the Mad Titan come out in full force.

He was pleased when he found out he succeeded, then was actually pretty calm and accepting when he saw his death. Remember he called it “destiny fulfilled”. What made him become the mad Titan is was when he realized they were not trying to stop his work, but trying to undo it. 

• Like 1

I just remembered there was a scene that made me laugh which was when Thanos and Cap were fighting right before the portals scene. After Cap gets his ass kicks and Thanos is explaining how he truly feels and you get the impression they're right next to each other but then in a shot, you see they're really far away from each other and all I could think of was a future meme of Cap going "WHA???" 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, NeoJoe said:

I just remembered there was a scene that made me laugh which was when Thanos and Cap were fighting right before the portals scene. After Cap gets his ass kicks and Thanos is explaining how he truly feels and you get the impression they're right next to each other but then in a shot, you see they're really far away from each other and all I could think of was a future meme of Cap going "WHA???" 

Shazam Spoiler

they had that gag in Shazam

2 minutes ago, 2user1cup said:

Saw it again, was better the second time. 

Btw, is Cpn Marvel not concerned about her friend and daughter maybe being dusted? Seems like a missed opportunity to kill how cardboard she is

Endgame was filmed long before Captain Marvel, so the Russo brothers didn't know her story.

I didn't read all the way through all 22 pages of this thread so sorry if this has been discussed but does anyone else have problems with them bringing people back 5 years after the fact, this is a huge issue for me both in terms of morals and logistics. Ok so every other person gets dusted in 2018 and then brought back in 2023 as their 2018 self, so for the dusted people it is like nothing really happened. Everyone that survived 2018 though is going to have some huge fucking issues, how many of those people lost a spouse and in the intervening years were able to move on and find someone new and then bam all of sudden their original husband or wife is back in the picture and to the dusted spouse no time has passed, they hadn't gone through all the mourning, grief and everything else. I know they had grief circle scene and some people have not moved on but certainly many others have. This is not the worse case scenario though, how many people were in a Hawkeye situation where they lost everyone and at that point had no reason to live and just killed themselves, there had to have been a huge number of suicides after the dusting and now the families are coming back to a long dead family member.

This is just talking about Earth too, what about the millions or billions of other worlds where death is treated differently than by humans, those civilizations could be even more messed up by having everyone come back. 

Those are just some of the moral issues but the logistics are even more frightening IMO. Over the intervening 5 years the world had switched from supporting 8 billion people to only 4, they are only producing energy and FOOD for 4 billion people in 2023 and if you suddenly plop an extra 4 billion people into the mix you are going to have mass starvation on a biblical scale, you are going to run into a Thanos was right situation. 

oh yeah I want to talk about Antman's incredible inconsistent power. In the first Antman movie it is explicated stated that he maintains his mass regardless of size, so Paul Rudd sized Antman, grain of rice sized Antman and 100' tall Antman should all weigh about 170lbs but they clearly don't. If you are going to bother to explain the "science" in comicbook movies you need to try and stick to it, if you want it to just be fun no one cares magic that is fine but once you throw some dialogue in about how things work don't get mad when people call you out on it.