Avengers: Endgame Trailer and Discussion Thread

Pikachu

4 minutes ago, Dragonseeker said:

Hide contents

Yeah I know. My point is, I don't buy that with the million things you can do with time travel, you can't stop Thanos especially since they use time travel to defeat him this time. Also, Thanos himself used the time stone to recover Vision's gem. I mean, the writers are asking me to buy in and that is fine, but it's just a hard sell for me. 

where was vision anyway??

10 minutes ago, Dragonseeker said:

What does everyone think about:

Hide contents

Not giving black widow a memorial? They honor Tony Stark but didn't do anything for BW in the end. Is that just because of politics (she is a spy, etc.)?

I think there's probably a meta-reason for that:

Spoiler

ScarJo is still doing a Black Widow movie. So while this is the end of the line for Black Widow in terms of the in-universe chronology, it makes sense to not focus a ton of limelight on her death given that we're still going to see Black Widow in at least one more movie.

I've likewise seen the pretty reasonable-seeming thought that while Hemsworth's contract has expired just as RDJ and Evans' have, that they played down Thor a bit in favor of giving more limelight to Cap and Stark since it's their goodbyes while Hemsworth has actually expressed willingness/interest in continuing to play Thor, but that they would have given Thor more emphasis if Hemsworth had also indicated that he wanted out now that his contract was up.

9 minutes ago, 2user1cup said:
  Hide contents

where was vision anyway??

Spoiler

Uh...still dead. I haven't watched Infinity War since it came out but from what I recall you could MAYBE have Shuri figure out how to revive him, but she'd have to be able to figure out how to do it without the Mind Stone.

2 hours ago, Dragonseeker said:

Hide contents

Captain Marvel shows up whenever she wants to or need to (plot wise) but not when she could be at her most useful. 

I don't know. I think they handled her well. 

Spoiler

She gets Nick's distress call and comes running...showing up after everything has gone down, then she goes off, as she said every other world out there was dealing with the same shit as Earth. She doesn't show up immediately for the final battle because Strange doesn't know her so he doesn't pull her in...or more than likely Strange didn't pull her in because, and this is just my  theory, when the people on whatever planet she had been on suddenly reappeared so she knew something was up and came a running...arriving at the nick of time to play her part in the end game. 

1 minute ago, EternallDarkness said:

I don't know. I think they handled her well. 

Hide contents

She gets Nick's distress call and comes running...showing up after everything has gone down, then she goes off, as she said every other world out there was dealing with the same shit as Earth. She doesn't show up immediately for the final battle because Strange doesn't know her so he doesn't pull her in...or more than likely Strange didn't pull her in because, and this is just my  theory, when the people on whatever planet she had been on suddenly reappeared so she knew something was up and came a running...arriving at the nick of time to play her part in the end game. 

Spoiler

So she got Nick's distress call and just happened to bump into Stark's ship? And she just happened to show up right when Thanos order the ship to fire? Just reading your post epitomizes a larger problem: running, showing up...you sound like you are describing the sandworm from Dune, not a human character. Did Captain Marvel did anything in the movie besides "showing up?" She had like 2 expressions and 4 lines of dialogue.  

4 minutes ago, Dragonseeker said:
  Hide contents

So she got Nick's distress call and just happened to bump into Stark's ship? And she just happened to show up right when Thanos order the ship to fire? Just reading your post epitomizes a larger problem: running, showing up...you sound like you are describing the sandworm from Dune, not a human character. Did Captain Marvel did anything in the movie besides "showing up?" She had like 2 expressions and 4 lines of dialogue.  

Spoiler

How did Thor get to the junk planet in Ragnorok, where the Hulk was? How did Quill manage to be in the same place and meet the rest of the Guardians? Because writers need to make plot happen.

3 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Hide contents

How did Thor get to the junk planet in Ragnorok, where the Hulk was? How did Quill manage to be in the same place and meet the rest of the Guardians? Because writers need to make plot happen.

Spoiler

2b9.jpg

Also,

Spoiler

was I the only one sitting there watching the Captain Marvel movie who that noticed that it only took, like, ten minutes for Carol to go from needing to activate her helmet to survive in space, to apparently just being able to breathe in space? If you want to talk about weirdly inconsistent shit in the MCU, that honestly seemed a lot more glaring than most of the other gripes you could come up with.

2 minutes ago, Jason said:

Also,

Reveal hidden contents

Spoiler

I don’t remember but doesn’t she discover the source of her power and basically become a million times stronger and rips through Everybody 

2 minutes ago, Dragonseeker said:
  Hide contents

Spoiler

Her finding Stark does seem rather convenient, but Stark and Nebula did have to be rescued...there's always a chance they'd been sending out a distress call and on her way back to Earth she happened to come across them...I don't have a major issue with the convenience of it all. And no she didn't do much in the movie, but then she shouldn't have had a major role anyway. She's a brand new character to the MCU, even though she's 'been' in the MCU since the 90s according to her movie. This was about wrapping up what was truly started in those early movies, namely wrapping up the story of the original Avengers. Most of the 'newer' characters had roles that were barely more than cameos. Screen time wise the only people besides the original avengers that got any real screen time were Nebula and Lang, and even Lang's time wasn't all that much, but he was needed since the quantum realm was the key to time travel. Which also addresses your other issue of neither Banner nor Stark figuring out quantum time travel in the five years since the snap. That wasn't an area of since that either of them was familiar with so it probably never occurred to either of them. It was Scott coming out and telling them about how time reacted differently in the quantum realm that got the ball rolling. But we've already seen Tony is a quick study. The whole  'when did you become an expert in thermonuclear astrophysics? ...last night' in the original Avengers and then him solving the Extremis issue in Ironman 3, so him working out the formula for time travel once he knew about it doesn't seem that far fetched. 

Spoiler

Makes sense for her to leave and be gone anyways. She’s all about helping everybody and not just the people on Earth. So after they lost, she goes off and does her thing but is staying in touch with them. Then when shit goes crazy again she shows up. 

6 minutes ago, johnny said:
  Hide contents

I don’t remember but doesn’t she discover the source of her power and basically become a million times stronger and rips through Everybody 

something like that 

Spoiler

and if I remember correctly she also pulls out the dampening device or whatever that was keeping her power in check

7 hours ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

I'm sure the reaction would have been the same if it were all men in that scene. Surely. 

Spoiler

It if was all the big strong men surrounding a teenage girl, basically saying, "this is a man's job," then I am pretty it would be called out. 

Spoiler

Just not by the same people.

29 minutes ago, johnny said:
  Hide contents

Spoiler

I guess, it just specifically seemed weird that this power increase also meant space breathing. 

25 minutes ago, EternallDarkness said:

Hide contents

Her finding Stark does seem rather convenient, but Stark and Nebula did have to be rescued...there's always a chance they'd been sending out a distress call and on her way back to Earth she happened to come across them...I don't have a major issue with the convenience of it all. And no she didn't do much in the movie, but then she shouldn't have had a major role anyway. She's a brand new character to the MCU, even though she's 'been' in the MCU since the 90s according to her movie. This was about wrapping up what was truly started in those early movies, namely wrapping up the story of the original Avengers. Most of the 'newer' characters had roles that were barely more than cameos. Screen time wise the only people besides the original avengers that got any real screen time were Nebula and Lang, and even Lang's time wasn't all that much, but he was needed since the quantum realm was the key to time travel. Which also addresses your other issue of neither Banner nor Stark figuring out quantum time travel in the five years since the snap. That wasn't an area of since that either of them was familiar with so it probably never occurred to either of them. It was Scott coming out and telling them about how time reacted differently in the quantum realm that got the ball rolling. But we've already seen Tony is a quick study. The whole  'when did you become an expert in thermonuclear astrophysics? ...last night' in the original Avengers and then him solving the Extremis issue in Ironman 3, so him working out the formula for time travel once he knew about it doesn't seem that far fetched. 

Spoiler

You knew they weren't gonna just off Stark in the first ten minutes of the movie, so it was obvious SOMEONE was gonna have to rescue Stark and Nebula. I was kind of expecting someone with their own spaceship to either tow their ship or to pick them up, not Captain Marvel, but it's not like I was "oh THIS is what's gonna break my suspension of disbelief" when it was Captain Marvel.

5 hours ago, Dragonseeker said:
  Reveal hidden contents

After having seen the Captain Marvel post credit scene ... 

I just assumed she went to Earth first, and after talking with the avengers on earth went looking for survivors. Still a cosmic long shot to find somebody, but I figured that was why nobody was surprised to see her, or confused on who she was, but they were happy to see Tony back.

Captain Marvel was basically handled like Superman in this movie. You can’t have her around all the time, otherwise it makes everyone else pointless. So she shows up just in the nick of time, as it looks like things are really about to go tits up for the heroes. 

While sad to see Stark go, I am glad it wasn’t Captain Marvel that killed Thanos with the stones. They did that right.  

7 hours ago, EternallDarkness said:

Hide contents

watch the post credits scene of Captain marvel to see how she knows to save Tony

8 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:

Hide contents

Spoiler

There is a difference between needing convenience and just being used as plot device tool. Thor had more than 4 lines of dialogue with sequences made to develop his character. He was an integrated part of the story with one or two convenient moments. Captain Marvel literally just "show up." That is not even a hyperbole really. Writers need to make plot happen is exactly they problem. She was a plot device, nothing more.

1 minute ago, Dragonseeker said:
  Hide contents

There is a difference between needing convenience and just being used as plot device tool. Thor had more than 4 lines of dialogue with sequences made to develop his character. He was an integrated part of the story with one or two convenient moments. Captain Marvel literally just "show up." That is not even a hyperbole really. Writers need to make plot happen is exactly they problem. She was a plot device, nothing more.

Okay, whatever you say. 

8 hours ago, EternallDarkness said:

Hide contents

Spoiler

The idea that Banner and Stark weren't familiar with the quantum realm, especially in regards to time is a bit iffy to me. I have nowhere near the intelligence and knowledge of Tony Stark and I know that time moves differently in the quantum realm. They are technology gurus and a lot of technology even today involved quantum manipulations such as tunneling, computing, etc. Tony Stark's suit probably had tons of quantum sensors in it. That and the fact that Tony Stark basically had the mobius strip model figured out in seconds tells me he knows more than just something.

Spoiler

I got to see the movie yesterday.  My quick thoughts are that it was very good, but not the best Marvel movie to date.

A couple of nitpicks:

- The world would be in horrible shape after the events of this movie.  If I am understanding everything right people got dusted... then were gone for 5 years, then all reappeared.  If this were to happen in a real world there would be devastation.  Once people disappeared there would be a huge panic and rioting, deaths... Half of the housing in the world would be abandoned.  Many people suddenly single would move on in 5 years time and remarry.  Having half the world's population suddenly reappear there would be a GIGANTIC housing shortage.  All those abandoned residences would not be immediately inhabitable.  There would be mass food shortages - no one had been planning for them to come back.  Along this same point it looked like Peter Parker just waltzed back into school to see all his old friends.  At least half of his friends should have already moved on and graduated college by this point.  I'm guessing that loose threads like this will just never be addressed.

- As for the girl power moment in the movie... it did kinda make me laugh.  Not because of women banding together, but because Captain Marvel just took out the entire fleet of ships that Thanos had arrived in all by herself.  She didn't need any assistance from anyone to fly that gauntlet 200 yards through random thugs.  

47 minutes ago, Dragonseeker said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Spoiler

maybe the Quantum stuff was the easy part? but going sub molecular was the other part of the equation which Pym solved for them with his tech?

hard to say but as mentioned genius is yet another unheralded super power

Spoiler

I really liked it, but was somehow at the same time disappointed with it. But I think a lot of it has to do with my own expectations and how the movie was different than I was expecting. I didn't see Captain Marvel, was Brie Larson's acting in that equally as terrible it was in this? I was fine with the "girl power" moment, and in general the other women in the movie were great. But Captain Marvels lines were like PS2 era video game voice acting levels of terrible. 

It's a good movie but it doesn't dethrone TDK for me as I don't think this movie is nearly as compulsively re watchable as TDK is. 

Also it's bit of shame we get no more Captain America, because Chris Evans got better and better in the role each time he played him. 

jfc christ people mark your goddamn spoilers -Jason

23 hours ago, Dodger said:

I really liked it, but was somehow at the same time disappointed with it. But I think a lot of it has to do with my own expectations and how the movie was different than I was expecting. I didn't see Captain Marvel, was Brie Larson's acting in that equally as terrible it was in this? I was fine with the "girl power" moment, and in general the other women in the movie were great. But Captain Marvels lines were like PS2 era video game voice acting levels of terrible. 

It's a good movie but it doesn't dethrone TDK for me as I don't think this movie is nearly as compulsively re watchable as TDK is. 

Also it's bit of shame we get no more Captain America, because Chris Evans got better and better in the role each time he played him.

Her acting isn't the best 

36 minutes ago, number305 said:
  Hide contents

I got to see the movie yesterday.  My quick thoughts are that it was very good, but not the best Marvel movie to date.

A couple of nitpicks:

- The world would be in horrible shape after the events of this movie.  If I am understanding everything right people got dusted... then were gone for 5 years, then all reappeared.  If this were to happen in a real world there would be devastation.  Once people disappeared there would be a huge panic and rioting, deaths... Half of the housing in the world would be abandoned.  Many people suddenly single would move on in 5 years time and remarry.  Having half the world's population suddenly reappear there would be a GIGANTIC housing shortage.  All those abandoned residences would not be immediately inhabitable.  There would be mass food shortages - no one had been planning for them to come back.  Along this same point it looked like Peter Parker just waltzed back into school to see all his old friends.  At least half of his friends should have already moved on and graduated college by this point.  I'm guessing that loose threads like this will just never be addressed.

- As for the girl power moment in the movie... it did kinda make me laugh.  Not because of women banding together, but because Captain Marvel just took out the entire fleet of ships that Thanos had arrived in all by herself.  She didn't need any assistance from anyone to fly that gauntlet 200 yards through random thugs.  

If Spider-Man deals with that exact problem, then it makes sense for it to be the close of Phase 3. Otherwise, it makes no sense to not slot that in as the start of Phase 4.

16 minutes ago, Dodger said:

Yeah, that's been about par for the course for Larson.

Spoiler

“What is it like to try to go back to a normal life after what happens in this movie [Infinity War]? Not to mention what happens in the next [Avengers] movie.”

“It’s fun to see that, because he can represent, you know, the world as a whole, as they try to move forward,” Feige said. “And you can do it in a way that is tonally unique, and tonally different than, certainly, the two Avengers films that people are about to see.”

https://mcucosmic.com/2018/09/11/kevin-feige-explains-how-spider-man-far-from-home-is-not-a-prequel-to-infinity-war-avengers-4/

They're clearly going to address the aftermath of the dusting and un-dusting in this movie.