Avengers: Endgame Trailer and Discussion Thread

Pikachu

4 hours ago, Remarkableriots said:

https://www.cinemablend.com/news/2471448/the-russo-brothers-confirm-that-hulks-avengers-endgame-damage-is-permanent

I had figured he would have eventually healed up so this is kinda surprising. I would like to see him cameo in other MCU movies like Black Panther or something.

I'd really like to see him team up with Shuri and rebuild Vision.

ok doing some reading I agree I was wrong there are branching timelines, it is not a closed loop.

That honestly makes The Avengers actions worse IMO.

So the entire MCU up until 30 minutes into EG takes place in timeline A. Then they go on their time heist and create a new alternate timeline, probably several but lets just call it timeline B for simplicity. When they all return to 2023 with the gems and assemble the gauntlet they are in the alternate timeline B at that point, a timeline that didn't exist until the started screwing with time. So when they snap half the universe back into existence they are not bring back everyone from the original MCU timeline A they are bringing "back" timeline B people that never existed until The Avengers started time traveling. So not only is half the universe still dead in timeline A the Avengers have left that timeline so any big bad is going to have free reign. 

23 minutes ago, elbobo said:

ok doing some reading I agree I was wrong there are branching timelines, it is not a closed loop.

So the entire MCU up until 30 minutes into EG takes place in timeline A. Then they go on their time heist and create a new alternate timeline, probably several but lets just call it timeline B for simplicity. When they all return to 2023 with the gems and assemble the gauntlet they are in the alternate timeline B at that point, a timeline that didn't exist until the started screwing with time. So when they snap half the universe back into existence they are not bring back everyone from the original MCU timeline A they are bringing "back" timeline B people that never existed until The Avengers started time traveling. So not only is half the universe still dead in timeline A the Avengers have left that timeline so any big bad is going to have free reign. 

This is why you cannot think about time travel / multiverse shit all that much.

7 hours ago, Remarkableriots said:

https://www.cinemablend.com/news/2471448/the-russo-brothers-confirm-that-hulks-avengers-endgame-damage-is-permanent

I had figured he would have eventually healed up so this is kinda surprising. I would like to see him cameo in other MCU movies like Black Panther or something.

Also everyone is dead dead at the end of Infinity war, dead means dead!

Shame we'll never get another Iron Man movie (probably). I was holding out hope that we'd get the real Mandarin at some point (even though I loved the twist in Iron Man 3 and thought it was hilarious). I thought they would go the route of Tony retiring, and bringing in Riri Williams as Iron Heart, just so they'd still have RDJ get to play Tony Stark. Quick, someone in the MCU go get the Soul Stone back and use it to bring Tony back to life (if it even has that power in the MCU) :p

Can't really argue that was a great, impactful goodbye to Tony. Quite a little tearjerker.

3 hours ago, elbobo said:

No, they returned to timeline A in 2023. The alternate timelines were created in the past. They never created a branch from the main timeline because they didn't come back to the past, they returned to the same time that they left from.

18 minutes ago, Brick said:

Shame we'll never get another Iron Man movie (probably). I was holding out hope that we'd get the real Mandarin at some point (even though I loved the twist in Iron Man 3 and thought it was hilarious). I thought they would go the route of Tony retiring, and bringing in Riri Williams as Iron Heart, just so they'd still have RDJ get to play Tony Stark. Quick, someone in the MCU go get the Soul Stone back and use it to bring Tony back to life (if it even has that power in the MCU) :p

Can't really argue that was a great, impactful goodbye to Tony. Quite a little tearjerker.

I think Harley Keener will be the new Iron Man in honor of Tony Stark. You could have Hulk training a new team of Avengers.

2 minutes ago, Remarkableriots said:

I think Harley Keener will be the new Iron Man in honor of Tony Stark. You could have Hulk training a new team of Avengers.

I doubt that. Nobody even know who he was at the funeral, so I doubt they're going to make this random kid that the audience doesn't know well to be the new Iron Man. If anything, we'll get Iron Man 3000 when Morgan is old enough.

21 minutes ago, Brick said:

I doubt that. Nobody even know who he was at the funeral, so I doubt they're going to make this random kid that the audience doesn't know well to be the new Iron Man. If anything, we'll get Iron Man 3000 when Morgan is old enough.

So they will make Morgan who everybody will have forgotten about into Iron Man 3000 who nobody has ever heard of?

36 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

No, they returned to timeline A in 2023. The alternate timelines were created in the past. They never created a branch from the main timeline because they didn't come back to the past, they returned to the same time that they left from.

Peggy didn't marry captain america in the main timeline but she did in the final timeline

12 minutes ago, elbobo said:

Peggy didn't marry captain america in the main timeline but she did in the final timeline

The implication is that Steve lived his life in timeline D (or whatever) and then jumped back to timeline A and brought the shield for Sam. He didn't change the past because you can't travel into the past in the same timeline (using the quantum suits at least).

oh god this interview with writers isn't helping

https://www.fandango.com/movie-news/exclusive-interview-the-avengers-endgame-writers-break-down-the-biggest-moments-in-the-movie-spoilers-753736?cjid=cj_11657940_8160513_jvg0d5vztk02qieo001nr&cjevent=b80c87ca71fe11e98072002c0a24060b

Fandango: So people are asking... Does this mean an old Captain America was hanging out this whole time while another Captain America was saving the day?

Christopher Markus: That is our theory. We are not experts on time travel, but the Ancient One specifically states that when you take an Infinity Stone out of a timeline it creates a new timeline. So Steve going back and just being there would not create a new timeline. So I reject the "Steve is in an alternate reality" theory.

I do believe that there is simply a period in world history from about '48 to now where there are two Steve Rogers. And anyway, for a large chunk of that one of them is frozen in ice. So it's not like they'd be running into each other.

One more thing. Every time we see an Avenger return to 2023 they end up on the time travel pad but we don't see Old Cap appear on it, he is just sitting on the bench. That implies to me that he didn't travel back to that time or timeline he just waited, he knew when he left and he just had to show up at the appointed time and walk over and sit down on the bench.

I have a feeling this is going to be me by the end of the week

s4GHExk.jpg

1 hour ago, elbobo said:

One more thing. Every time we see an Avenger return to 2023 they end up on the time travel pad but we don't see Old Cap appear on it, he is just sitting on the bench. That implies to me that he didn't travel back to that time or timeline he just waited, he knew when he left and he just had to show up at the appointed time and walk over and sit down on the bench

That's what I always thought :shrug:

I'm still thinking that in the MCU time is mostly self correcting. The issue isn't with taking a stone out of the past. The issue was the time stone, specifically, because it was needed to stop the end of the world thanks to Dormammu. There's no way to self-correct the end of the world, so removing the stone would lead to the creation of a new and doomed timeline.

The only real issue is Thanos, but that's not an issue if Tony's snap sent him and his horde back to their own time and didn't kill him. We assume Tony killed them, but he's the only one that knows what his snap actually did and I like to think Tony is plenty smart enough to avoid creating a paradox.

8 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:

Also, they traveled between periods without using the pad (NYC to 1970s), so they don't need the pad. And if Cap actually somehow went back into the main timeline, then it's the main timeline. But the biggest point is - it's a comic book movie and it doesn't matter.

they traveled backwards without the pad but they always returned to the pad, it was the anchor point 

Well that answers that...

Perhaps the most hotly debated Endgame plot point is the fate of Captain America, who travels back in time to live out his life with Peggy Carter (Hayley Atwell). 2014's Captain America: The Winter Soldier established that Peggy had a husband and two kids, and some fans have theorized that Steve Rogers secretly was this husband all along. Others have stated that Steve created an alternate timeline when he went back to live with Peggy, and somehow got back to the mainline MCU as an old man. 

Markus and McFeely accept that different people will have different viewpoints on this topic. But, in their minds, Steve was Peggy's husband all along.

"It was always our intention that he was the father of those two children. But again, there are time travel loopholes for that," said McFeely.

Added Markus: "It does introduce the idea that there are two children who have somewhat super soldier DNA."

On 5/8/2019 at 10:49 AM, Remarkableriots said:

I figured he’d heal too, since that’s something Hulk can do. Maybe Professor Hulk can’t, but if he ever raged out and became Hulk of old it would heal. 

6 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

This breaks the very rule of Time travel they spent an entire scene drilling into us...and Antman. Cap’s time travel affected his own past, because even though he didn’t know who the Husband was, that old Peggy he talked to was married and had two kids with his future self. 

1 hour ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

I figured he’d heal too, since that’s something Hulk can do. Maybe Professor Hulk can’t, but if he ever raged out and became Hulk of old it would heal. 

MCU Hulk is massively nerfed compared to comic Hulk