Avengers: Endgame Trailer and Discussion Thread

Pikachu

2 hours ago, Dragonseeker said:
  Hide contents

The idea that Banner and Stark weren't familiar with the quantum realm, especially in regards to time is a bit iffy to me. I have nowhere near the intelligence and knowledge of Tony Stark and I know that time moves differently in the quantum realm. They are technology gurus and a lot of technology even today involved quantum manipulations such as tunneling, computing, etc. Tony Stark's suit probably had tons of quantum sensors in it. That and the fact that Tony Stark basically had the mobius strip model figured out in seconds tells me he knows more than just something.

perhaps, but we know from the other movies that 

Spoiler

the Pym particle was a massive secret and perhaps that was nut neither Banner nor Stark could crack

2 hours ago, 2user1cup said:

Hide contents

watch the post credits scene of Captain marvel to see how she knows to save Tony

Spoiler

I remember the scene of her asking where's Fury...but was there anyone on earth that had any clue where Tony was? Tony didn't even know where he was going to end up when he jumped on that ship.

2 hours ago, Dodger said:

I really liked it, but was somehow at the same time disappointed with it. But I think a lot of it has to do with my own expectations and how the movie was different than I was expecting. I didn't see Captain Marvel, was Brie Larson's acting in that equally as terrible it was in this? I was fine with the "girl power" moment, and in general the other women in the movie were great. But Captain Marvels lines were like PS2 era video game voice acting levels of terrible. 

It's a good movie but it doesn't dethrone TDK for me as I don't think this movie is nearly as compulsively re watchable as TDK is. 

Spoiler

Also it's bit of shame we get no more Captain America, because Chris Evans got better and better in the role each time he played him. 

Hey you just gave away a huge spoiler, can you edit your post?

5 hours ago, EternallDarkness said:

perhaps, but we know from the other movies that 

Hide contents

the Pym particle was a massive secret and perhaps that was nut neither Banner nor Stark could crack

It's also likely that calling this out is picking nits to an extreme degree, as, if I remember that scene correctly...

Spoiler

The Pym particles are in Hank's office just kind of... chilling? Hank worked his whole life to keep them out of the hands of a Stark! Which he took so seriously that they were in a glass case and EVERYTHING!

Unrelated question...

Spoiler

Do we think Cap put the tesseract back with Howard / Peggy or with the New York battle?

58 minutes ago, Firewithin said:

i would think

Hide contents

he stole it from the peggy era thus returned it there which is where he stayed?

Spoiler

He didn't stay in the 70's. The cars outside of the house where he was dancing with her were early 50's models at best. He was probably in his 90's when he was on that bench in the future

This movie was a spectacular achievement for bringing together all these franchises from the past eleven years, and having a giant send off for some of them. I had a giant goofy grin for so many moments. So many great callbacks for fans of these movies. 

If the first Avengers was a party for finally bringing these heroes together on the big screen, then this is the after party, a celebration, a toast to things that have been entertaining us for all these years. 

I just did a double feature of Infinity War and this after having only seen 1/2 of the Avengers so there was a whole lot of

spacer.png

but they were still enjoyable. People seemed to go through most of the nit-picks but I haven't seen these yet.

Spoiler

Everyone resorts to physical violence and no one tries telling Thanos that his plan is stupid and won't work (long term) because of repopulation and all so he'd have to keep doing maintenance snapping every few decades, but his plan was to destroy the stones after the first snap so there goes that idea too.

Gamora's heel/face turn sure happened easily. But I haven't seen her first heel/face turn, so maybe it's a pattern.

Captain Marvel and Vice Admiral Holdo need to have a crossover movie where all they do is solve problems via Deus Ex Hyperspacing Through Giant Enemy Starships.

Fan Theory: Dr. Strange actually saw two timelines where they win. But one had him dying and the other had Tony Stark dying. So he knew what he had to do.

Also: WTF they have a Pegasus too!?!?

Also also: New York can only be invaded and decimated by aliens so many times before before people start moving to New Jersey or something, right?

Bonus Infinity War nitpick: Thanos and his many instances of the "Give me the item and I won't kill your friend" trope. There's

Thor and Loki

Starlord and Gamora

Gamora and Nebula

Dr. Strange and Iron Man

Tyrion and the other dwarves

I'm sure there's one I'm forgetting.

On 4/28/2019 at 4:39 PM, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

Reveal hidden contents

Hide contents

The spell Odin put on Mjolnir is “Whoever so holds this hammer, if they be worthy, shall poses the power of Thor. 

That’s why he can use lightning.

Spoiler

I don't remember the characters name but if i remember right they had a animated series where a Doctor gained the powers of Thor.s

You also have this comic version.

1249846640133899408.jpg

6 hours ago, TheBladeRoden said:

People seemed to go through most of the nit-picks but I haven't seen these yet.

Reveal hidden contents

Everyone resorts to physical violence and no one tries telling Thanos that his plan is stupid and won't work (long term) because of repopulation and all so he'd have to keep doing maintenance snapping every few decades, but his plan was to destroy the stones after the first snap so there goes that idea too.

Gamora's heel/face turn sure happened easily. But I haven't seen her first heel/face turn, so maybe it's a pattern.

Captain Marvel and Vice Admiral Holdo need to have a crossover movie where all they do is solve problems via Deus Ex Hyperspacing Through Giant Enemy Starships.

Fan Theory: Dr. Strange actually saw two timelines where they win. But one had him dying and the other had Tony Stark dying. So he knew what he had to do.

Also: WTF they have a Pegasus too!?!?

Also also: New York can only be invaded and decimated by aliens so many times before before people start moving to New Jersey or something, right?

Bonus Infinity War nitpick: Thanos and his many instances of the "Give me the item and I won't kill your friend" trope. There's

Thor and Loki

Starlord and Gamora

Gamora and Nebula

Dr. Strange and Iron Man

Tyrion and the other dwarves

I'm sure there's one I'm forgetting.

Spoiler

With what we learn in GotG and Infinity War, it’s implied that Gamora has been a “good guy” for a long time and was trying to prevent Thanos from getting the stones since she knew about his plan.

And yeah Valkyrie was shown to have a Pegasus at some point in her life during Ragnarok.

20 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:
  Hide contents

With what we learn in GotG and Infinity War, it’s implied that Gamora has been a “good guy” for a long time and was trying to prevent Thanos from getting the stones since she knew about his plan.

And yeah Valkyrie was shown to have a Pegasus at some point in her life during Ragnarok.

yah Gamora's 

Spoiler

whole motivation in Vol 1 was to stop the stone from getting to thanos.  She was "working" for Ronin as a way to get to it.

Saw this last night and I, too, absolutely loved it. So many emotional highs in this movie, I was actually moved on several occasions. Personally I want this universe to continue and am really bummed that 

Tony and Cap are gone because they were my two favorite characters. :cry:

But I guess you can't have everything, right? 

Anyway, excellent, excellent film, and one I absolutely intend to see again in the theaters. 

Regarding Far From Home...

Spoiler

https://www.ign.com/articles/2019/04/30/what-year-mcu-endgame-peter-parker-school-age-ned

As a highly placed Marvel Studios source put it to IGN: “Thanos’ snap wiped out 50% of all life -- and 100% of Peter’s friends.”

So that means MJ (Zendaya) died in Infinity War, too, and that’s why Peter, Ned and MJ are all still in high school in Spider-Man: Far From Home).

Marvel Studios president Kevin Fege confirmed to IGN shortly before Infinity War came out last year that Far From Home takes place after Endgame. Feige said at the time that Far From Home will see Peter contending with the aftermath of the events of the third and fourth Avengers movies: "What is it like to try to go back to a normal life after what happens in this movie [Infinity War]? Not to mention what happens in the next [Avengers] movie."

"It’s fun to see that, because he can represent, you know, the world as a whole, as they try to move forward," Feige said. "And you can do it in a way that is tonally unique, and tonally different than, certainly, the two Avengers films that people are about to see."

So there's that.

27 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

Is that supposed to be 

Reveal hidden contents

Spoiler

I hope not. I'm hoping that in the MCU, time is self-correcting. If that's the case, only the stones, themselves, can splinter time into alternate realities. That would mean that we could get a TV series about Loki after he escaped with the Tesseract, but it would have to end with him being arrested and winding up exactly where he would have been were it not for time travel shenanigans.

Spoiler

There should be an alternate scene in the special features where Clint comes back and says "ask red skull" instead of ask the red guy. the scene wouldn't fit but I would want to see Cap's reaction to hearing Red Skull

Spoiler

So how exactly did Thanos break Captain America's shield? What the hell is that blade made of that it can do that to vibranium!? 

I guess it's also a little disappointing that between these two movies we didn't get Thanos using more of the stones during battle. It would have been fun to see him use the Time Stone more, and other than using it briefly to find the real Strange when he made multiple copies of himself, we didn't see Thanos use the Soul Stone, so I'm not sure what exactly its powers are, and he didn't get to use the Mind Stone at all either. I guess they powered the stones a bit differently than in the comics and cartoons in that they become super dangerous to use all of them at once, so that they aren't super overpowered. I'm so used to seeing a fully powered Thanos fight the Avengers in cartoons using all the stones and wondering why not just kill them all at once with ease, so this was their solution. 

19 minutes ago, Brick said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Spoiler

Vibranium isn't admantium... it isn't nearly as indestructable and in the comics, Cap's shield WAS an alloy comprised of Vibranium and a metal that was the precursor to adamantium and it was stronger than both. Thanos still shattered it in the comics with his fists. When Thanos fought the Avengers, The Xmen and The Fantastic Four with all the stones in the comics, he powered himself down in order to give them a chance and he still slaughtered them all. We didn't really see him go all out with the stones until he was attacked b the cosmic beings, Galactus, The Celestials, Eternity etc...

That said the stones aren't the ultimate power n the Marvel U... When Dr. Doom got the power of the Beyonder in the most recent Secret War, Black Panther used an Infinity Gauntlet to fight him and could barely hold his own until the stones shattered. The Beyonder is even more powerful than the Infinity Gauntlet. Hopefully we'll see him and his race in the Marvel Cinematic U in the next ten years.