The Kavanaugh Confirmation Charade Thread

11 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

The episode “Free Brian Williams” on Revisonist History is maybe my favorite thing about how wonky our memories are. 

I had a memory error once that really screwed me up. I was driving down the road and there was a vehicle in front of me. We are approaching an intersection and the light is green for us. Another vehicle barrels full speed through the intersection and smashes the vehicle in front of me. I get out and check on everybody and then wait for the police to give a statement about what I saw.

When I start describing it to the cop he has this confused look on his face. He’s confused because I described the opposite vehicles as the one which was at fault. There was something about the way the cars were positioned after they came to a stop that tricked my brain into swapping their places even though I saw the whole thing clear as say.

Still freaks me out 3 years later.

The assumption here isn’t about high school and drinking parties, it’s about what Ford meant in an interview she gave a couple of days ago.

I’ll have to check out that episode.

And yeah, in general, it’s remarkable how ”bad” our memories are, or rather, how susceptible to error, bias, and manipulation they are, even those memories we’re incredibly confident about. 

11 minutes ago, SFLUFAN said:

I've devised my own way to deal with this: I operate on the assumption that every single thing I "remember" is completely and totally wrong and it never happened the way that it did anyway, so why bother trying to remember it.

That might be taking it a bit too far, though that’s probably closer to reality than what most people assume about their own memories. :p

41 minutes ago, Jason said:

Am I the only one thinking that her willing to publicly give a categorical no means that Collins and Murkowski must also be voting no? 

15 minutes ago, Jason said:

Why do you disagree? It's seemed pretty clear thus far that she didn't want to vote no if it wasn't enough to kill the nomination.

I wouldn't say I agree, but it's an interesting supposition.

I just saw a story that was musing that if Collins votes yes she is leaving Murkowski out to dry because apparently that native Alaskin thing really hit home for her and she may be trying to get to no.

I understand why the woman doesn't want to testify, but if her goal is to spike Kavanaugh it seems like it might be a mistake.

If McCaskill is out in front and Murkowski is leaning no, I think most hypothetical scenarios for how a public hearing would go could only serve to push Collins more towards no.

It may be ugly and embarrassing where everyone comes away dirty, but pragmatically speaking there's not a whole lot of ways for it to go well for the GOP.

7 minutes ago, CayceG said:

Grassley's letter to Dems is interesting. 

Grassley’s argument is that there could have been an investigation if Feinstein had shared Blasey Ford’s letter in July. But now there’s simply no time. Too bad. But look at these two paragraphs specifically.

grassley-600x203@2x.jpeg

As you can see, Grassley is arguing that the committee is now essentially out of time because Feinstein respected the accuser’s desire not to have her accusation become public. He is also purportedly concerned that not respecting whistleblowers’ and victims’ desire to have their claims remain confidential will deter future whistleblowers and victims from coming forward. In other words, Grassley is arguing two contradictory sides of the same argument with the aim of saying that time for this particular alleged victim has simply run out and it’s too bad.

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/edblog/grassley-s-shameless-lies-edition-57

36 minutes ago, RedSoxFan9 said:

yale professor advised her female students on their appearance because it was an important part of getting a clerkship with Kavanaugh 

I can’t imagine being this horny all the time 

Boys will be boys libtard, so suck it. 

I'm not sure where such boys did this other than boys that other boys maligned for behaving in such reprehensible ways. Illegal ways, let's be clear. 

52 minutes ago, Firewithin said:

:feelsgood:

Did they read the article? DKE and T&C aren’t the same thing. I continue to be befuddled by the inability of people to understand very basic information in news articles.

5 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Did they read the article? DKE and T&C aren’t the same thing. I continue to be befuddled by the inability of people to understand very basic information in news articles.

Why are we still befuddled?

Most people (I emphasize most) have definitively (if it was ever up for debate in the first place) in the past two years proven themselves to be complete idiots. Sad, but true. :p 

For me, at this point, it's less befuddlement (which was one of my first reactions to people since Trump) but now, honestly, it's more frustration.

Something that's absolutely pissing me off beyond all belief about this. Memes like these being shared by self-defense instructors I know:

Spoiler

42087809_2224726007745302_31505746773200

Like... Okay, first of all, if you cannot discern the difference between a 2-3-year-old innocently grabbing the chest of a smiling adult woman vs a 17-year-old attempting to forcibly rape someone, you are a god damn idiot. Secondly, again, these are instructors of a self-defense school (thank fucking god not mine) - it's hard enough for most women to come into a room with a majority of sweaty men in an attempt to learn how to defend themselves, but now you're posting BS that implies that how long ago the incident occurred actually matters - they should be absolutely ashamed of themselves and have no business teaching anyone self-defense. Thirdly, if I found out a student was accused of attempted rape and the allegation was never proven to be false, I wouldn't care if it was 55 years ago, their membership would be canceled and they would no longer be welcome in my school. If my business partner argued with me, I would leave and make sure the world knew the type of people he was willing to teach.

This shit isn't even fucking partisan. A conservative will wind up on the supreme court whether or not it's Rapey McFuckFace. How about we don't defend accused rapists based on how old they were when it occurred? Seriously, fuck anyone and everyone who would actually defend this based on how long ago it was. He was 17. He knew what he was doing was wrong.