The Kavanaugh Confirmation Charade Thread

4 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

He later replies to that tweet after she came forward saying he didn’t name names because that “would have be mean” (seems facetiously though) and complaining that she is an activist.

Somebody whines that not naming names was a disservice since it gave her time to scrub her social media.

Cernovich says he would have been banned for doxxing.

Somebody else suggest a burner account.

A burner account replies to another Cernovich tweet with Ford’s personal info.

I don't really know what else I can say to explain this because I don't see how you can step through those pieces while failing to piece them together into that he was telling his followers to do it for him so that his account wouldn't be placed at risk of a ban for being the one to sending out the doxxing tweet.

Cernovich is no dummy. He’s been a social-media personality and men’s rights commentator for long enough to know that a call to “investigate” a group of people has a completely different valence than Berger’s more tongue-in-cheek exhortation for his followers to ask Cernovich to unblock him.

All the videos and tweets had their inevitable effect: A wave of people attacked Berger as a pedophile. “I’d say at least 200 - 300 tweets,” he said in an email. “It was a lot. These tweets were people calling me a pedo, threatening me, asking me to ‘prove I’m not a pedo,’ death threats and people saying they hoped I was killed, people mocking me and laughing at me for being upset that Cernovich was calling me a pedo, people saying they have my home address, people telling me they’d be hacking my website and so on. I got messages on Facebook, Instagram, my email, YouTube comments on my channel, some guy made a Craigslist ad in my name as if I were looking for sex.”

http://nymag.com/selectall/2016/12/how-mike-cernovich-is-pizzagating-his-latest-victim.html

cernovich knows what he’s doing and has been orchestrating harassment for a long time

1 minute ago, Jason said:

I don't really know what else I can say to explain this because I don't see how you can step through those pieces while failing to piece them together into that he was telling his followers to do it for him so that his account wouldn't be placed at risk of a ban for being the one to sending out the doxxing tweet.

Because none of his tweets were about her personal details, only her name. What about those tweets indicates he wanted her personal details made known? Does he have a history of revealing addresses and phone numbers of people he doesn’t like?

Anita Hill wrote an op-ed about this: The Senate Judiciary Committee has a chance to do better by the country than it did nearly three decades ago.

Here are some basic ground rules the committee should follow:

Refrain from pitting the public interest in confronting sexual harassment against the need for a fair confirmation hearing. Our interest in the integrity of the Supreme Court and in eliminating sexual misconduct, especially in our public institutions, are entirely compatible. Both are aimed at making sure that our judicial system operates with legitimacy.

Select a neutral investigative body with experience in sexual misconduct cases that will investigate the incident in question and present its findings to the committee. Outcomes in such investigations are more reliable and less likely to be perceived as tainted by partisanship. Senators must then rely on the investigators’ conclusions, along with advice from experts, to frame the questions they ask Judge Kavanaugh and Dr. Blasey. Again, the senators’ fact-finding roles must guide their behavior. The investigators’ report should frame the hearing, not politics or myths about sexual assault.

Do not rush these hearings. Doing so would not only signal that sexual assault accusations are not important — hastily appraising this situation would very likely lead to facts being overlooked that are necessary for the Senate and the public to evaluate. That the committee plans to hold a hearing this coming Monday is discouraging. Simply put, a week’s preparation is not enough time for meaningful inquiry into very serious charges. 

Finally, refer to Christine Blasey Ford by her name. She was once anonymous, but no longer is. Dr. Blasey is not simply “Judge Kavanaugh’s accuser.” Dr. Blasey is a human being with a life of her own. She deserves the respect of being addressed and treated as a whole person.

Just now, sblfilms said:

Ford herself said she didn’t tell anybody about it until 2012 during a therapy session...

yeah that jumped out at me too. So either this letter is false or someone else actually witnessed the attack and spread word of it around the girl's school.

3 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Ford herself said she didn’t tell anybody about it until 2012 during a therapy session...

1 minute ago, elbobo said:

yeah that jumped out at me too. So either this letter is false or someone else actually witnessed the attack and spread word of it around the girl's school.

Kavanaugh and/or his buddy could have been running their mouths after it happened?

1 minute ago, Jason said:

Kavanaugh and/or his buddy could have been running their mouths after it happened?

possible but since they went to all boys/girls schools it seems less likely that they would be bragging to women about trying to rape another woman. I guess one of them could have told a male friend who told their girlfriend or sister.

2 minutes ago, elbobo said:

Just now, Jason said:

It certainly could have happened that way, but the letter *feels* to me like the sort of thing somebody writes when they want to seem important and in the know, but aren’t either of them. It’s like around E3 and such when people would post fake leaks of info. The best fakes tend to make relatively vague claims that can’t really be shown to be false.

She says a bunch of people talked about it at school, but she doesn’t mention anybody else who can corroborate her claim that people at school were talking about it. Given that she says she remembers Ford despite a two year age gap, I feel it’s reasonable that she should remember somebody she talked to about it. Maybe she followed this up with more detail later?

3 minutes ago, Alpha1Cowboy said:

Yeah...that's not how High School works lol

Can you be more specific about whatever it is you mean.

14 minutes ago, elbobo said:

possible but since they went to all boys/girls schools it seems less likely that they would be bragging to women about trying to rape another woman. I guess one of them could have told a male friend who told their girlfriend or sister.

I'd think that being in an all-boys environment, especially the really shitty kind of environment the kind of prep school they went to tends to have, would make it pretty likely that they were running their mouths to other boys, who then told other people. 

5 minutes ago, Jason said:

I'd think that being in an all-boys environment, especially the really shitty kind of environment the kind of prep school they went to tends to have, would make it pretty likely that they were running their mouths to other boys, who then told other people. 

Sure, but King was at Ford’s school. That’s the school where lots of people were talking about it, allegedly. Yet despite all these people at her school talking about it, Ford didn’t hear about the chatter, nor was she asked about the incident by fellow classmates? The original tweet by King has also been deleted, which doesn’t help the credibility IMO.

3 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

He's saying she wouldn't have had to tell anyone for word to spread.

The point of “she didn’t tell anyone” isn’t simply that she isn’t the source, it’s that she believed nobody else knew, yet King claims a bunch of people at school knew as the story was going around. This is further reflected in her wanting to remain anonymous. 

What are the odds that the story was making the rounds at her school and Ford somehow didn’t know this?

1 minute ago, sblfilms said:

The point of “she didn’t tell anyone” isn’t simply that she isn’t the source, it’s that she believed nobody else knew, yet King claims a bunch of people at school knew as the story was going around. This is further reflected in her wanting to remain anonymous. 

What are the odds that the story was making the rounds at her school and Ford somehow didn’t know this?

Is that what she said? I don't know the exact quote.

14 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

Is that what she said? I don't know the exact quote.

I think it comes across that way in the WaPo interview with Ford, especially the parts about her fear that her parents would find out and not wanting to look like she was a person that had been attacked, but she didn’t explicitly say she didn’t think anybody else knew. She attempted to conceal what happened at the time and attempted to conceal her identity when reporting it this year.

I think it’s pretty safe to assume she didn’t think anybody but her and the alleged attackers knew, and that seems at odds with a story that was making the rounds at her tiny all girls school though it certainly could be true that a bunch of people at her school heard through the grapevine and were talking about it amongst themselves without Ford ever hearing about it.

My scorching hot take on this is that other than what Ford said in therapy about what actually happened to her and her current take on the event itself, it’s noise. I don’t remember who I told about shit that happened to me that long ago and I wouldn’t expect anyone else to be able to do that accurately at all. As someone who did some research in memory and who knows someone who does that as their job... everyone’s understanding of how it works is fucking terrible, just the absolute worst.

Speculation about whether or not she’d be aware of other people in school knowing about it strikes me as odd.

18 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

I think it comes across that way in the WaPo interview with Ford, especially the parts about her fear that her parents would find out and not wanting to look like she was a person that had been attacked, but she didn’t explicitly say she didn’t think anybody else knew. She attempted to conceal what happened at the time and attempted to conceal her identity when reporting it this year.

I think it’s pretty safe to assume she didn’t think anybody but her and the alleged attackers knew, and that seems at odds with a story that was making the rounds at her tiny all girls school though it certainly could be true that a bunch of people at her school heard through the grapevine and were talking about it amongst themselves without Ford ever hearing about it.

I don't think it's safe to assume jack shit when it comes to high school and drinking parties. Especially in this area... That's why I'm all for holding off and sorting things out.  

No hot take on this here other than if Kavanaugh is the victim here....so what...a wealthy and powerful man doesn't get to even more powerful and wealthy?  He's still got a pretty great life, nice house, nice paycheck to fall back on.  Oh no..his career is only Highly Succesful instead of Supremely successful.    I still find it extremely odd that Gorsuch and Kavanugh went to the same high school with a two year age gap and were nominated one after the other..... 

59 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

I don't think "she didn't tell anyone" and "she believed nobody else knew" are mutually exclusive at all.

I think "she didn't tell anyone" is more in line with she never fully discussed the details of what happened with anyone.

18 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

As someone who did some research in memory and who knows someone who does that as their job... everyone’s understanding of how it works is fucking terrible, just the absolute worst.

The episode “Free Brian Williams” on Revisonist History is maybe my favorite thing about how wonky our memories are. 

I had a memory error once that really screwed me up. I was driving down the road and there was a vehicle in front of me. We are approaching an intersection and the light is green for us. Another vehicle barrels full speed through the intersection and smashes the vehicle in front of me. I get out and check on everybody and then wait for the police to give a statement about what I saw.

When I start describing it to the cop he has this confused look on his face. He’s confused because I described the opposite vehicles as the one which was at fault. There was something about the way the cars were positioned after they came to a stop that tricked my brain into swapping their places even though I saw the whole thing clear as say.

Still freaks me out 3 years later.

15 minutes ago, Alpha1Cowboy said:

I don't think it's safe to assume jack shit when it comes to high school and drinking parties. Especially in this area... That's why I'm all for holding off and sorting things out.  

The assumption here isn’t about high school and drinking parties, it’s about what Ford meant in an interview she gave a couple of days ago.

43 minutes ago, elbobo said:

Yeah, she made up the “some of us were talking about it at school” stuff. 

33 minutes ago, Amazatron said:

I don't think "she didn't tell anyone" and "she believed nobody else knew" are mutually exclusive at all.

The subtext of what she has said and done over the last few months suggests she didn’t think anybody knew outside of her husband and the therapists. She only points to them as people who can corroborate her story prior to this year. If she believed other people knew, she would have mentioned them as people who could verify this wasn’t a last second smear campaign. Her lawyer has suggested the same in various interviews.

If the story was going around school as King claims (which her recent tweet should put that nonsense to bed), it somehow never came to the attention of Ford that these other girls knew.

1 hour ago, Kal-El814 said:

As someone who did some research in memory and who knows someone who does that as their job... everyone’s understanding of how it works is fucking terrible, just the absolute worst.

I've devised my own way to deal with this: I operate on the assumption that every single thing I "remember" is completely and totally wrong and it never happened the way I perceive that it did, so why bother trying to remember it.