The Kavanaugh Confirmation Charade Thread

3 minutes ago, MarSolo said:

I've learned not to bet against you. I need to start messaging you things about my life and have you bet on the outcome so that I follow that path.

Hahaha, just let me know.

For the record, Kavanaugh of course has a shot at the nomination, but we've seen the Senate fail to pass things they were "definitely" going to pass, like a bad health care law. Kavanaugh is a piece of shit and a minefield; McConnell was worried about him for a reason and likely was nominated just because of his very relaxed and questionable views of holding a president accountable.

This has always been a winnable but uphill and difficult fight, and now more than ever the pressure needs to mount for the date rapist. 

If the rape allegation is what derails the dude who DEFINITELY perjured himself before the senate, I’ll go with it regardless of the merits of the claim. Somebody willing to lie under oath can’t be a SCOTUS justice.

17 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

I always wonder what supreme court justices think of each other.

Based on things I’ve read, nobody likes Clarence Thomas or Neil Gorsuch, and everybody else is at least friendly with one another.

9 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Is @stepee mad or something?

He/she has been dropping the :guillotine: on literally every post I’ve made in this thread :lol: for the last 20 minutes.

2a5hy6d.jpg

I actually have nothing against you at all I just have a weird addictive thing so I kept doing it out of a habit. 

Edit:  but I did want it to be random/funny so succeeded there I think!

• Guillotine 1
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Is @stepee mad or something?

He/she has been dropping the :guillotine: on literally every post I’ve made in this thread :lol: for the last 20 minutes.

We quickly put the :guillotine: reaction back to neutral reputation instead of +1 reputation because of the ambiguity in people using it both to :guillotine: the post itself/poster themself, and to express that the subject of the post deserves the :guillotine:.

• Guillotine 3

To jump into this conversation a bit belatedly, I can agree with @sblfilms that someone's actions as a teenager or young adult don't necessarily dictate their character when they are fully grown, but the optics of it can't be ignored. Nominating and confirming someone who was accused of sexual assault to the Supreme Court sends the message 'don't worry too much about the consequences, you can shake them off a few decades down the line', which would more or less be a cornerstone if you were trying to define 'rape culture'. The flip side of that is that you then potentially weaponize unfounded allegations, but to a certain extent that's unavoidable for a series of crimes which are usually 'he said she said'. 

Then again Donald Trump is our President, so nothing matters. Confirm Kavanaugh and burn down SCOTUS with him inside.

https://www.npr.org/2018/09/17/648663337/kavanaugh-vote-could-face-delay

A Senate committee may be forced to postpone its vote this week on Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh, while members explore fresh allegations of a decades-old sexual assault.

Sen. Chuck Grassley, R-Iowa, the committee's chairman, was scrambling Sunday to arrange staff telephone calls with Kavanaugh and Christine Blasey Ford, the woman who says Kavanaugh assaulted her at a party in the early 1980s when they were both students in high school.

"Her recollection of these events is crystal clear," Ford's attorney Lisa Banks told Morning Edition. "She will agree to participate in any proceedings that she's asked to participate in."

The accusation, made privately in July, took on new weight over the weekend when Ford went on the record with the Washington Post.

She described a high school party in the early 1980s at which a drunken Kavanaugh pinned her to a bed, attempted to pull off her clothes, and covered her mouth as she tried to scream. She said she escaped after Kavanaugh's friend, Mark Judge, jumped on them.

Lisa Murkowski has also bravely said they "might" need to delay proceedings, lol. 

Still like how the dominoes are falling.

It would be amazing if this is what does this guy in. And Trump is such a stubborn person he doesn’t get that he could just drop Kavanaugh for somebody clean like Amy Barrett and move on in a couple of months.

6 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

Interesting. Reporter was approached about this before Kavanaugh was selected:

This illuminates a part that bewildered me, that Feinstein didn’t make the letter available to other Dems or the full committee, it was because she explicitly asked Feinstein that it not be made available.

2 hours ago, sblfilms said:

It would be amazing if this is what does this guy in. And Trump is such a stubborn person he doesn’t get that he could just drop Kavanaugh for somebody clean like Amy Barrett and move on in a couple of months.

If the allegations are true (and they seem to be), the poetic justice is undeniable to be denied the most coveted position you've ever wanted and not get it because of what you did to someone when you thought there'd be no consequences at the time.

Karma is a bitch Brett Kavanaugh. I hope this (along with why he is actually unqualified for the position) ends his potential to be confirmed. 

Brett Kavanaugh and His Accuser Say They’re Willing to Testify

President Trump’s Supreme Court nominee, Judge Brett M. Kavanaugh, said he is willing to talk to the Senate Judiciary Committee about accusations from a woman who said he sexually assaulted her while they were teenagers in high school.

Judge Kavanaugh’s accuser, Christine Blasey Ford, is also willing to testify before Congress, Dr. Blasey’s lawyer said Monday morning.