The Kavanaugh Confirmation Charade Thread

Okay, calls made. I called three Rubio offices and left a message, including his DC office, and also called Nelson's DC office asking that he be very vocal about delaying Kavanaugh's vote.

I suggest you do the same. Congresspeople can get spooked by this (the calls are not ignored and disregarded; they want to know who's calling and from where to get an idea of how big a deal an issue is), and it feels fucking GOOD to do.

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

So had this come out ~35 years ago and he was arrested and/or convicted, would he even be able to sit for/pass the bar? I thought I asked this before but I can't find it. 

No straight answer. There are felons who have passed the bar and were granted license in all 50 states, including adult offenders. It hurts and always delays, but it’s not a death sentence...probably even less so for a well connected white kid wanting to be a lawyer.

14 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

No straight answer. There are felons who have passed the bar and were granted license in all 50 states, including adult offenders. It hurts and always delays, but it’s not a death sentence...probably even less so for a well connected white kid wanting to be a lawyer.

One of my friends is a lawyer and I had to submit a character reference sheet to the Massachusetts Bar for him. From that experience it seems like bar associations place a high value on character references, which Kavanaugh is clearly able to manufacture, given that 65 women letter stunt. And I think bar associations would care much more about finding out that you concealed something like this from them than they are about the incident itself as long as you told them about it--being forthcoming about it and dumping a bunch of good character references at them would probably smooth it over for most people.

8 minutes ago, Jason said:

One of my friends is a lawyer and I had to submit a character reference sheet to the Massachusetts Bar for him. From that experience it seems like bar associations place a high value on character references, which Kavanaugh is clearly able to manufacture, given that 65 women letter stunt. And I think bar associations would care much more about finding out that you concealed something like this from them than they are about the incident itself as long as you told them about it--being forthcoming about it and dumping a bunch of good character references at them would probably smooth it over for most people.

Yes, the worst situation is to not disclose and be found out.

3 minutes ago, LazyPiranha said:

When, not if, this guy gets on the bench, I move that when anyone on the CEB makes some statement to the effect that sexual assault accusations "ruin your life" they be perma'ed.

Most people don't have the entire GOP eager to overlook their transgressions backing them up.

2 minutes ago, Jason said:

Most people don't have the entire GOP eager to overlook their transgressions backing them up.

Two things here.  

One, let's not pretend there isn't a whole rash of other admitted as holes without an entire political party behind them making a resurgence of late.

Two, let's not pretend the GOP doesn't have a literal platoon of eager, young chodes that would slit their mother's throat to be a supreme court justice who haven't probably raped someone.  It would take them minutes to replace Kavanagh with the next eager lickspittle Democrats couldn't pin this to, and yet they won't.

Just now, LazyPiranha said:

One, let's not pretend there isn't a whole rash of other admitted as holes without an entire political party behind them making a resurgence of late.

Okay? That doesn't change the fact that most people who have sexual assault accusations leveled against them aren't GOP politicians and will have it cause a ton of problems for them.

33 minutes ago, LazyPiranha said:

When, not if, this guy gets on the bench, I move that when anyone on the CEB makes some statement to the effect that sexual assault accusations "ruin your life" they be perma'ed.

Is the accused a well-off white man or a poor black man?  That kinda makes a significant difference to the outcome in this society.

And your motion is denied.

• Haha 1