The Kavanaugh Confirmation Charade Thread

New Yorker’s Mayer: Ramirez Was Not Initial Source—Other Yale Grads Were

“She didn’t come forward with it,” Mayer said Monday on NBC’s “Today.” “What happened was, the classmates at Yale were talking to each other about it, they were emailing about it. We’ve seen the emails, back in July before Christine Blasey Ford came forward, and eventually the word of it spread.”

21 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

A supreme Court nominee or even a judge for that matter should not be giving television interviews but hey why not

Why do you think this? It’s not as though SCOTUS justices doing TV interviews is some rarity.

12 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Why do you think this? It’s not as though SCOTUS justices doing TV interviews is some rarity.

A judge should not be drawing popular support via mass media (exactly what he's doing here). I don't limit this complaint to just kav here.  They also shouldn't be doing paid speeches or writing books (to be published while they are alive)

15 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

A judge should not be drawing popular support via mass media (exactly what he's doing here). I don't limit this complaint to just kav here.  They also shouldn't be doing paid speeches or writing books (to be published while they are alive)

Scalia didn’t pay for his stay at the ranch where he died. So who did? :daydream:

I am of the opinion that judges should essentially be "legal monks/nuns":

- unmarried, no children

- locked away in courthouses doing nothing but studying, considering, and discussing the law every day when they are not presiding a case

- never be seen or heard from in public, and the only words you will ever read from them are their legal decisions

In essence, their entire existence would be devoted to the law in the same way that the existence of a monk or nun is devoted to God.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

A judge should not be drawing popular support via mass media (exactly what he's doing here). I don't limit this complaint to just kav here. 

I think that is a more particular issue than the more generalized statement you first made. I can more get behind this idea that one shouldn’t be rallying for support as is being done here. I appreciate interviews I’ve seen over the years with Ginsburg, Kennedy, Roberts, Souter, and a couple of others that were more educational about the work of a SCOTUS justice, so I do see room for proper uses of media appearances.

I also got to see Scalia give a speech the year he died at Houston Baptist University on the topic of religion and law in the US. I don’t know if it was a paid appearance (I don’t know Scalia’s policy in that front), but I was glad to hear his thoughts.

30 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

I think that is a more particular issue than the more generalized statement you first made. I can more get behind this idea that one shouldn’t be rallying for support as is being done here. I appreciate interviews I’ve seen over the years with Ginsburg, Kennedy, Roberts, Souter, and a couple of others that were more educational about the work of a SCOTUS justice, so I do see room for proper uses of media appearances.

I also got to see Scalia give a speech the year he died at Houston Baptist University on the topic of religion and law in the US. I don’t know if it was a paid appearance (I don’t know Scalia’s policy in that front), but I was glad to hear his thoughts.

We should not even know what their voices sound like.

46 minutes ago, SFLUFAN said:

We should not even know what their voices sound like.

Au contraire. I definitely think cameras should be allowed in. I would be fine with embargoing the release of any footage until after the decision is released, but people should be able to see what happens in there without having to camp out to see it live.

lol, he had to redo the second tweet because he fucked up Accusations: " The Democrats are working hard to destroy a wonderful man, and a man who has the potential to be one of our greatest Supreme Court Justices ever, with an array of False Acquisitions the likes of which have never been seen before!"

4 hours ago, SFLUFAN said:

I am of the opinion that judges should essentially be "legal monks/nuns":

- unmarried, no children

- locked away in courthouses doing nothing but studying, considering, and discussing the law every day when they are not presiding a case

- never be seen or heard from in public, and the only words you will ever read from them are their legal decisions

In essence, their entire existence would be devoted to the law in the same way that the existence of a monk or nun is devoted to God.

Cause that all seemed to work out for the Catholic Church... aka the scum of the earth and those who follow the teachings