Total Solar Eclipse April 8, 2024

TwinIon

We had clouds all day until about 2:50, and some clear spots appeared. I had totality for almost a full minute. The temperature dropped like a rock, the solar/street lights around my neighbourhood came on. Seagulls just all of a sudden “Mine, Mine, Mine” out of nowhere and stopped shortly afterwards. We still had some clouds during totality  but still got to witness. The pink flares were very cool to see and the solar flares in general.

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Halal 2

2 hours ago, Jason said:

Is the eclipse why you went to Montreal?

Yep! My coworker/friend wanted to go for the eclipse as he's into astronomy, and we turned it into a couples trip for 5 days. While the eclipse was amazing, my wife and I mostly just wanted to go for the food and sights.

He originally considered Texas when he was going by himself, but we decided on Montreal in the end as he didn't feel as safe in the US (same-sex married), unfortunately.

Was really cloudy all day, but it cleared up a little bit during the peak. Some kid at work bought a pair of glasses, so I was able to look at it. Pretty cool as all I saw was a red sliver at about 99% totality where I was. It didn't really get as dark as I was thinking based on what people were saying. Just looked like a storm was coming in and getting dark from that if I didn't know any better. I wonder if that small percentage makes a difference, and places with 100% total coverage were darker. 

22 minutes ago, Brick said:

Was really cloudy all day, but it cleared up a little bit during the peak. Some kid at work bought a pair of glasses, so I was able to look at it. Pretty cool as all I saw was a red sliver at about 99% totality where I was. It didn't really get as dark as I was thinking based on what people were saying. Just looked like a storm was coming in and getting dark from that if I didn't know any better. I wonder if that small percentage makes a difference, and places with 100% total coverage were darker. 

I was joking about eclipse snobs earlier, but now I kinda get it. When it hit 100% (and zero cloud cover), it suddenly looked and felt like we warped to like 8:15PM. Not the total darkness of late night, but like the sun had definitely set recently. A minute later, as soon as there was just a tiny sliver of red showing, it was basically back to normal almost immediately. The sun is… bright. It was an interesting experience. 

1 hour ago, TheLeon said:

I was joking about eclipse snobs earlier, but now I kinda get it. When it hit 100% (and zero cloud cover), it suddenly looked and felt like we warped to like 8:15PM. Not the total darkness of late night, but like the sun had definitely set recently. A minute later, as soon as there was just a tiny sliver of red showing, it was basically back to normal almost immediately. The sun is… bright. It was an interesting experience. 

Makes me wonder what an eclipse was like 2 million years ago when the Moon was closer to Earth, and therefore would have covered the Sun just a little bit more. Hell what was it like 50 million years ago? 

4 hours ago, Brick said:

That 1% is a huge difference. Without total blockage you don't get see the bright glowing ring in the sky which is just surreal to witness in person even though Twinion's pictures are sublime. It's also darker than a moonlit night, but the horizon in every direction is slightly lit up.

12 hours ago, Chris- said:

Makes you understand why people used to worship and sacrifice humans to the sun. 

The problem was, they just couldn't throw them high enough.

Even at 99%, it was cool. I enjoyed the dim light more than watching the moon pass by. It was a lot different than the light from a sunrise or a sunset. 100% would've been neat. My daughter was really excited for about 20 or 30 minutes, then it was time to move on. My son wasn't super interested, but around 3, finally said 'Fine, I'll go look at the solar eclipse.'

I live along the path of totality and the skies parted for it. It was incredible. I thought it was no big deal before but I was wrong, seeing a full eclipse v partial are totally different experiences. 

The temperature immediately drops, all the birds get quiet, it feels like the world stops. The light is dark and silver colored. The sun was so eclipsed the glasses didn't work and we took them off and you could see it with your bare eyes for about 3-4 minutes, my phone screen feels brighter. It was a giant black sphere hovering over us. Really incredible. 

3 minutes ago, SuperSpreader said:

I live along the path of totality and the skies parted for it. It was incredible. I thought it was no big deal before but I was wrong, seeing a full eclipse v partial are totally different experiences. 

The temperature immediately drops, all the birds get quiet, it feels like the world stops. The light is dark and silver colored. The sun was so eclipsed the glasses didn't work and we took them off and you could see it with your bare eyes for about 3-4 minutes, my phone screen feels brighter. It was a giant black sphere hovering over us. Really incredible. 

Bare eyes? You’re  like Trump!

8 minutes ago, Biggie said:

No, like you didn't have to squint because of the brightness, it wasn't bright at all. It was like looking at the sky at night. Maybe we just got lucky with the angle we were at, but like literally the glasses no longer worked because it was so dim 

15 minutes ago, Biggie said:

12 minutes ago, SuperSpreader said:

No, like you didn't have to squint because of the brightness, it wasn't bright at all. It was like looking at the sky at night. Maybe we just got lucky with the angle we were at, but like literally the glasses no longer worked because it was so dim 

That’s what makes totality so cool/worth it. Once the sun is completely covered and you can’t see anything through the glasses, you can look with your bare eyes and see the halo effect. But as soon as any bit of red starts showing through the glasses, it’s instantly too bright to look at directly. 

• Halal 1

4 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

They said multiple times it is ok to not wear the glasses if the sun is completely covered.

Yeah. Both Stevie Wonder and Ray Charles said it’s completely safe. 

• Haha 1