Total Solar Eclipse April 8, 2024

TwinIon

North America is fortunate to be getting a total solar eclipse this year on April 8th. I'm very excited because this will be the first total eclipse I'll have had the chance to experience and I'm curious who else on D1P is planning on seeing it.

eclipse-map-2024-1920-1.png?w=2048&forma

Here is a great interactive map to get incredibly specific information for your location.

In 2017 I didn't travel, but I have some friends that did and while they loved the experience of the eclipse, they had some trouble with lodging. They had booked their AirBnb well in advance, but the hosts figured out very near the eclipse how much more could be charged, so my friends were left scrambling at the last minute. Looking not to replicate that experience for 2024, they spent some time finding the best place they could get a hotel that was aware of the eclipse and are arranging a group trip to Mazatlan. Since I decided to join this trip,  enjoy photography, and have most of the gear I'd need anyways, I figured I should try to get one of those cool corona shots for myself.

The result has been falling down a rabbit hole that is so much more complex and annoying than anticipated, even as I remain committed to the idea (have spent enough money that I'm rather "pot committed" as well). First I discovered that eclipse chasing itself is a hobby with some rather intense interest, filled with some very dedicated people. Then there are the solar eclipse photography people, who are often already into astrophotography, but often not into general photography. Still, even for those that are into astro, solar photography is still it's own niche with it's own quirks and requirements.

A lot of the advice that I've seen is that a total solar eclipse is a unique experience and that you don't want to be spending those precious moments messing with your camera. Trying to take that advice to some degree, I decided that I wanted to automate my photos. A number of programs exist specifically to automate eclipse photos, but it turns out that's a world of complications. The best software for this kind of thing was mostly written by individual amateurs that don't really keep them up to date. The most recommended program is Solar Eclipse Maestro, which only works for MacOS 10.6 - 10.14 (which was released in 2018). There's a windows option in Eclipse Orchestrator, and while it runs in Windows 11, lets just say that it's not exactly a modern piece of software. Heck, getting it to shoot fast requires buying or building your own shutter release cable from old intervolometers. Add in that I'm using high end modern Nikon cameras, and things get messy. Nikon support in general is far worse than that for Canons, and it also seems like support for the really high end ones has been limited.

I've been reading an ebook specifically about photographing eclipses, I've been spending a lot of time going through old threads on Cloudy Nights, and I've been spending hours trying to get some piece of software working that will let me script my shooting for this eclipse, and so far had very little luck. At this point I've given up on the Z9, which is an amazing camera and a joy to work with, but I can't find any software that can reliably control it at all, much less run a script with very specific timing. I'm now trying to get my D850 working, and while I've had some success, it's been mostly failures.

Anyways, while I'm mostly ranting about what a time sink and mess this has all been, I'm still excited for the eclipse itself. Who else is making plans?

They've cancelled school for my kids, because the school board feels that it would be unsafe for the kids to walk home from school during an eclipse.

I've got some eclipse viewing glasses on order, so we can all experience it again.

[We watched the partial eclipse together back in 2017, but its been a while.]

• Halal 1

In 2017 I traveled one state over the day of the eclipse. Do not do this. About 40 miles from my intended destination traffic on the Interstate highway was backed up to a complete standstill. I managed to get off at the next exit and went to a different, smaller town instead. It's definitely an entirely different experience when you're in the total eclipse.

This year I won't even have to travel. I live in the path, yay. Just have to hope for good weather that day.

• Halal 1

On 2/19/2024 at 3:16 PM, TheLeon said:

I live right outside of that band (Cincinnati), and I already have that day off, so I guess I don’t have a great excuse to not seek it out (other than laziness and being a cynical jerk). 

Knowing your luck it’ll be raining. 

• Haha 1

Yep, I am flying to Montreal for 5 days to take this in, as well as for the much more obvious reason of just wanting to visit Montreal. Our friend is big into astronomy and goes to all the North American eclipses, so we decided to tag along since it was inside Canada, and we've always wanted to see Montreal!

• Hype 1

On 2/19/2024 at 1:24 PM, AbsolutSurgen said:

They've cancelled school for my kids, because the school board feels that it would be unsafe for the kids to walk home from school during an eclipse.

I've got some eclipse viewing glasses on order, so we can all experience it again.

[We watched the partial eclipse together back in 2017, but its been a while.]

I agree with that. We had an eclipse here in Salt Lake a couple months ago and it got extremely dark in a moment's notice.

• 1 month later...

My wife and I (and a few friends) are going to Montreal for the weekend to view it. I expect it will be able to handle crowds better than Niagara Falls, but it will still be busy. Fortunately, we're staying in Old Montreal and should be able to walk pretty much anywhere we want to be, while there.

1 minute ago, Keyser_Soze said:

We can never have too many eclipse threads, that includes the hit movie as well if you have any stories to share.

Twilight you mean? Eclipse was awful lol. I did however really enjoy the first Twilight. Something about that movie is really striking. Plus the soundtrack was phenomenal. Especially Paramore. 

Didn't really pay much attention to the eclipse coming up, but now I'm wondering if I should get some glasses to be able to look at it since my area will have like 99.996 percent coverage, it's just the quality of some glasses I'm questioning because how many shoddy ones are out there that while they say are ISO certified, they actually aren't and will damage your eyes by using them. 

These seem like the bestsellers on Amazon, but are they any good? Is Amazon verifying that these are legitimately safe glasses? 

WWW.AMAZON.CA

24 minutes ago, Brick said:

Didn't really pay much attention to the eclipse coming up, but now I'm wondering if I should get some glasses to be able to look at it since my area will have like 99.996 percent coverage, it's just the quality of some glasses I'm questioning because how many shoddy ones are out there that while they say are ISO certified, they actually aren't and will damage your eyes by using them. 

These seem like the bestsellers on Amazon, but are they any good? Is Amazon verifying that these are legitimately safe glasses? 

WWW.AMAZON.CA

I've heard that some public libraries give out eclipse glasses, maybe check something like that out before going to amazon.

11 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I've heard that some public libraries give out eclipse glasses, maybe check something like that out before going to amazon.

Maybe in Freedomland, but I'll check. 

I think I’m just going to take a nice long bike ride on Monday. That’s the level of effort I’m willing to put into this (something I would do anyway on a day off). If I get to the deep suburbs, that should put me just inside in the path of totality.

2 hours ago, Derek said:

I wonder how many companies made a quick million(s) on something that people will only use for 4 minutes and then be placed in a junk drawer forever.

I get to use mine twice. The junk drawer paid off. 

• Like 1

On 4/4/2024 at 12:49 AM, Brick said:

WWW.AMAZON.CA

Is Amazon verifying them?  No.  Is that a brand I've seen as reputable?  Yes.

WWW.SCIENTIFICAMERICAN.COM

You’re going to want to guard your eyes from the sun using legitimate protective gear

28 minutes ago, silentbob said:

@Brick I got my glasses yesterday at my local Canadian Tire store. On display when you walk in with adult and kids sizes available. Plus they’re only $4 

I would still validate the brand you've bought, lots of Canadian Tire's are franchises.  I've seen people online express concern about the glasses they've seen at CT.

2 hours ago, Derek said:

I wonder how many companies made a quick million(s) on something that people will only use for 4 minutes and then be placed in a junk drawer forever.

They're disposable -- They're a few bucks a piece. 

The exact center of the path of totality is going to pass less than 4 miles from my house. It was completely sunny Saturday and Sunday, they are calling for clouds and maybe rain at eclipse time today of course.

Both kids are being sent home with eclipse glasses, so I guess we'll be checking it out. It was really cloudy earlier, but all clear now. They say we're in the 99% area. The local weather boys are in Toledo.

39 minutes ago, Derek said:

Both kids are being sent home with eclipse glasses, so I guess we'll be checking it out. It was really cloudy earlier, but all clear now. They say we're in the 99% area. The local weather boys are in Toledo.

Anything less than 100% is a waste of time. Don’t even bother.

(Eclipse Snob is my new favorite type of internet commenter).

2 minutes ago, TheLeon said:

Anything less than 100% is a waste of time. Don’t even bother.

(Eclipse Snob is my new favorite type of internet commenter).

The lady at my grocery store was a cup half full type of person. She said 50% is better than nothing or going to Ohio.