Red Dead Redemption II | Official Thread of Shrinking Equine Testicles

Commissar SFLUFAN

5 hours ago, SFLUFAN said:

Somewhere out there, there is a reviewer who has legitimately scored RDR 2 as a 7/10 or 6/10 game and is wracking her or his brains out whether to bump it up.  Let us spare a moment's thought for that poor reviewer.

Lol and therein lies the problem with video game reviewers. When’s the last mega AAA title that got got a shit review

and ended up being way under expectations?  As long as the game is simply good, reviewers will give bonus points based on hype so they don’t get blasted by the internet hordes or simply the studio paid them for a good review(looking at you IGN). 

Normally I think the underwhelming trailers and review embargo until release day would be take as red flags. But given the hype and the reputation of the original it’s getting a pass. Not saying the game will be bad or anything short of great. Just kind of interesting how this stuff all plays out. 

DF crib notes 

* XBX runs in native 4K
* PS4 Pro 1920 x 2160

* PS4 1080p
* XB One 864p

* XBX best performance with a few drops in towns
* PS4 Pro next best thing with solid framerate in wilderness but again dropping some frames in towns.
* PS4/XB One have better overall performance than RDR1 had in 360/ps3 hardware. There are drops even to the low-mid 20s at some points though.

* Visual parity in terms of rendering for all versions. (same assets/foliage etc)

* No evidence of dynamic resolution in any of the versions tested.

* DF consider the game a stunning achievement regardless and believe the XBX X version is the best and by a considerable margin.

2 minutes ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

DF consider the game a stunning achievement regardless and believe the XBX X version is the best and by a considerable margin.

I'm glad gamestop had a trade in deal for the XOX

I'm hoping RDR2 is actually a good game unlike the bland but high scoring GTA4 and GTA5

1 hour ago, RedSoxFan9 said:

I'm glad gamestop had a trade in deal for the XOX

I'm hoping RDR2 is actually a good game unlike the bland but high scoring GTA4 and GTA5

People still insist that GTAIV and V are overrated games, huh? Someone must love GTAV as it is eternally in the top 10 on NPD month after month:p When did that game come out again?

54 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

People still insist that GTAIV and V are overrated games, huh? Someone must love GTAV as it is eternally in the top 10 on NPD month after month:p When did that game come out again?

Yeah but to be fair, that's all GTA Online. 

I hated GTAIV and while GTAV was much better, I still found the characters insufferable and every cutscene was just exhausting to watch. I still have yet to complete GTAV.

1 hour ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Yes they are. Skyrim is up there as well. Jurassic World is/was the highest grossing movie of all time. Doesn’t mean it’s as good as it’s numbers dictate haha

42 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

I feel this is going to be overhyped. I'm tempering my expectations. I have no doubt it'll be a blast, though.

I kinda feel that way too. I usually buy into hype but for some reason I just feel like this game will be fun but not better than the first. Kinda like when a studio doesnr understand what made the first movie so great and so the second is the scene stealer from the first force fed to everyone all movie long. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Mercury33 said:

Yes they are. Skyrim is up there as well. Jurassic World is/was the highest grossing movie of all time. Doesn’t mean it’s as good as it’s numbers dictate haha

Yeah but Jurassic world was JUST a financial success and not a critical one. The last two GTA games and Skyrim weren't just financial successes, they're critical ones as well... oh and actual gamers seem to like them too

GTA V METACRITIC SCORE: 97

GTA IV METACRITIC SCORE: 98

SKYRIM METACRITIC SCORE: 92

JURASSIC WORLD METACRITIC SCORE: 59

So the comparison is not exactly analagous. I enjoyed all three games but recognize their flaws. I also recognize how significant each game was in it's own right at the time they came out.

12 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Yeah but Jurassic world was JUST a financial success and not a critical one. The last two GTA games and Skyrim weren't just financial successes, they're critical ones as well... oh and actual gamers seem to like them too

GTA V METACRITIC SCORE: 97

GTA IV METACRITIC SCORE: 98

SKYRIM METACRITIC SCORE: 92

JURASSIC WORLD METACRITIC SCORE: 59

So the comparison is not exactly analagous. I enjoyed all three games but recognize their flaws. I also recognize how significant each game was in it's own right at the time they came out.

That’s a fair point. But I would argue that movie reviewers and video game reviewers are not even close to being on the same level. Video game reviewers can be bought and buy into hype a lot more than movie reviewers. 

And Jurrassic World has an “A” Cinemascore for what it’s worth. 

3 hours ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

* No evidence of dynamic resolution in any of the versions tested.

Wow, that is shocking, and a real testament to their engine guys.

After reading some of the reviews, it'll be interesting to see how I feel about all the purposeful inconveniences. I'm universally accepting of limitations to the number of guns or goods you can carry. Those are gameplay factors that incentivize decision making. I'm less convinced that needing to eat, brush your horse or care for your gun meaningfully add to the game, but I won't knock it till I try it. As I've gotten older I've become more and more concerned with how games treat my time. Maybe Rockstar has come up with little pieces of flavor that add texture to a video game equivalent of a tone poem, or maybe they've just come up with a technologically impressive way to waste my time between bits of exciting gameplay. It'll be fun to find out.  

1 hour ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

MUST. HOLD. OUT! 

If you don't have an X...

Gamestop is currently offering $200-$300 on the trade of your existing Xbox, plus $100 off if you buy an Xbox and RDR2 together...

So...  trading in my launch XB1 would get me a white  black XB1X, digital version of Fallout 76  State of Decay 2 and digital version of RDR2 for...

$459 less $200 trade = $259

Would I be stupid NOT to do this?

Edit:  Only stackable with State of Decay 2 Bundle which is not available near me.

18 minutes ago, Mercury33 said:

That’s a fair point. But I would argue that movie reviewers and video game reviewers are not even close to being on the same level. Video game reviewers can be bought and buy into hype a lot more than movie reviewers. 

And Jurrassic World has an “A” Cinemascore for what it’s worth. 

And THIS is a fair point. as well... one I can't even dispute :p I hold both in pretty low regard though so...

• Like 1

I think “overrated” is a needlessly loaded term. There’s an awful lot of STUFF that’s just sort of tolerated in certain titles or genres when games are being reviewed.

I love Bethesda games but I think it’s hard to claim they’re not overrated. The games release with bugs, glitched quests, and are poorly optimized, more or less always. This is all just... accepted. Even when it’s acknowledged it’s rarely reflected in review scores. 

With Rockstar games it’s a bit different. I don’t think anyone’s on their level when it comes to world building or evoking specific themes. But I also don’t think any of their games play all that great. Most of the action in their games is about shooting, and the shooting is just... fine. It’s not BAD but this is just kinda glossed over all the time too. And ALL of their games have the plot totally divorced from the gameplay. RDR2 seems like it might change that but we’ll see. 

Overrated doesn’t have to mean bad. I don’t think any of Rockstar’s games are bad at all, but I think they do get a pass on a bunch of stuff because the polish in general is so high. Do I think their games are overrated? A bit. I always enjoy them, but I could never consider RDR one of the  best games of all time since so much of the experience of actually playing it is just fine.