Majority of US grid at risk of failure this summer

1652994460071-gettyimages-185001395.jpeg
WWW.VICE.COM

The Midwest is at "high risk of energy emergencies" and Texas and the West could see outages and shortfalls amid high heat and drought.

1652994206191-screen-shot-2022-05-19-at-

Uh oh, I am on that map too.

In Texas and the South, extreme heat threatens to increase peak demand, forcing outages and other emergency procedures for load shedding, or cutting supply to reduce strain on the grid. 

In the Midwest, things are a bit more dire, and perhaps more certain: MISO is gearing up to have 2.3 percent less generation capacity this summer than it had last year, while its projections for peak demand have gone up by 1.7 percent in kind. 

Make sure to punch anyone you meet still mining crypto, or advocating against massive expansion of nuclear, solar, and wind power generation 

• Halal 1

19 minutes ago, Uaarkson said:

The “American way of life” is collapsing :dab:

You know how we've all been making fun of Russia for having an army outfitted with Cold War era equipment that's being held together with duct tape and conscript tears? That's the US infrastructure. Instead of spending any money upgrading it since the Cold War, we've been dumping money into way cooler, murdery things.

• True 1

2 minutes ago, Dodger said:

Yeah I’m gonna need that to not happen when it’s 115 here

When it hit 120 in Portland last year or whenever that was, I got so tired of people from phoenix being like "uUUUh, this is nothing," I was like dude.. 120 hits different when most buildings don't even have ac.

1 minute ago, Massdriver said:

If there is a grid failure in Texas, hopefully it helps Beto. 

As much as I agree with you on the desired outcome, it won't happen. We'll all suffer through a horrible grid failure, and every Republican will still get reelected because the voters will go to the ballot box thinking that somehow liberals are planning evil to the status quo, even though Republicans in Texas are doing exactly those things they claim liberals are intending to do.

• True 3

13 hours ago, Ghost_MH said:

You know how we've all been making fun of Russia for having an army outfitted with Cold War era equipment that's being held together with duct tape and conscript tears? That's the US infrastructure. Instead of spending any money upgrading it since the Cold War, we've been dumping money into way cooler, murdery things.

Don’t forget shareholder dividends and stock buybacks

I would say that the ONE thing my provincial government is correct on (relative to the left-wing opposition) is their push for modular nuclear reactors for Saskatchewan. Canada is overwhelmingly great in terms of renewable power generation, largely relying on hydroelectric and nuclear generation. Only three provinces don't generate the majority of their power with green energy, and mine is one of them (being flat prairie, mostly). So nuclear is perfect for us.

Canada as a whole:

cnd-fg02.png

Saskatchewan:

sk-fg02.png

13 hours ago, brucoe said:

As much as I agree with you on the desired outcome, it won't happen. We'll all suffer through a horrible grid failure, and every Republican will still get reelected because the voters will go to the ballot box thinking that somehow liberals are planning evil to the status quo, even though Republicans in Texas are doing exactly those things they claim liberals are intending to do.

Agreed. I should have been more specific   When I said help, I didn’t mean he would win. Beto winning would be some kind of miracle given Biden’s poll numbers and inflation. 

Hey don't look at California, PG&E might blow ass but we still very briefly touched 100% renewable usage this spring!

rawImage.jpg
WWW.SFCHRONICLE.COM

On Saturday, for the first time ever, the state’s renewable power production matched...

Not too much longer now!

In contrast, I think Texas is mostly natural gas, then wind surprisingly, then coal.

• True 1

14 hours ago, CastletonSnob said:

Texas's power grid might be a joke, but the US's infrastructure as a whole is in DESPERATE need of an overhaul.

Infrastructure spending doesn't have immediate short term profits for people that matter.