Roe v. Wade is dead

14 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

good luck proving intent

also:

https://www.constituteproject.org/constitution/United_States_of_America_1992?lang=en

Amendment I

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

32 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

good luck proving intent

The intent is being said out loud to reporters. Not particularly difficult! But ain’t nobody getting prosecuted under that law here.

5 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

The intent is being said out loud to reporters. Not particularly difficult! But ain’t nobody getting prosecuted under that law here.

agree with the second part (especially given the sentences given for people who got into the court and interrupted proceedings and directly attempted to influence decisions) but there’s a decent argument to be made when determining intent that they knew their protest would not influence the outcome, and would hinge on what exactly is and was said. 

• True 1

3 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

So wait, where not supposed to protest out side of Judges houses? People don't realize how unaccountable Judges are in our system, huh? Peaceful protesting is wrong but storming capital buildings is ok?

If your cause is for the unborn or white, you’ll be alright.

2 hours ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

The notion of an independent judiciary went out the window around the time of the events that lead to Marbury v Madison. It’s been various degrees political ever since.

1 hour ago, CitizenVectron said:

WaPo vying with NYT for shittiest newspaper of record.

I need to quote myself here, because America has a weird obsession (fetish, even) with political compromise. Well, the Democrats do, at least (at high levels).

Side A: We want to kill all Black people, but are willing to compromise under the right conditions and simply keep people as slaves.

Side B: We will not compromise with people willing to have slaves, or kill people

Media/Political Class: Hmm, sounds like one side is willing to compromise and be rational, and the other isn't!

35 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

So wait, where not supposed to protest out side of Judges houses? People don't realize how unaccountable Judges are in our system, huh? Peaceful protesting is wrong but storming capital buildings is ok?

I think neither are OK.  Didn't they prosecute people for storming the capital buildings?

5 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

I think neither are OK.  Didn't they prosecute people for storming the capital buildings?

Gonna sound odd coming from me but at face value you have to support peaceful protests. Peaceful protests that are ignored will lead to violent protests. 

Please ignore that you probably should just skip peaceful and go to violent. Peaceful protests are too easy to ignore. 

6 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

Republicans are speaking out against peaceful picketing outside of a judge's house, yet many of them have downplayed January 6th Capitol riots, claiming they looked more like tourists, they were peaceful, and/or the hilarious contradiction that they were actually liberal plants. 

That's why Skillz means. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

Republicans are speaking out against peaceful picketing outside of a judge's house, yet many of them have downplayed January 6th Capitol riots, claiming they looked more like tourists, they were peaceful, and/or the hilarious contradiction that they were actually liberal plants. 

That's why Skillz means. 

I think most rational people recognize they are both wrong.

Picketing outside people's houses is wrong.  Targeting people's families because you don't like their politics or judicial decisions is wrong. 

7 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

Picketing outside people's houses is wrong.  Targeting people's families because you don't like their politics or judicial decisions is wrong. 

I think most rational people are livid about a minority of the population picking Senators who pick judges who override the will of Americans, tbh.

And most rational people wouldn't equate the two.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

To hell with this.

The time for so-called "rationality" has long since past.  Indeed, it is those calling for it who are truly the "irrational" ones as they continue to deny what is so very clearly staring them in the face.

• Like 1
  • True 2
  • Sicko 2

5 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

I think most rational people are livid about a minority of the population picking Senators who pick judges who override the will of Americans, tbh.

And most rational people wouldn't equate the two.

Picketing judges houses has nothing to do with that.  Agreeing that targeting people's families is somehow "OK" because you don't like the America electoral system is, IMHO, a bizarre argument.

It opens up society to another level of problematic behaviour.  If it somehow became acceptable for the Karen's that are yelling at their school trustees to begin picketing their houses, or defund-the-police advocates to picket police chiefs homes, or....

14 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

To hell with this.

I'm a liberal -- I know you'll disagree with 90% of what I'll say.

:)

2 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

Picketing judges houses has nothing to do with that.  Agreeing that targeting people's families is somehow "OK" because you don't like the America electoral system is, IMHO, a bizarre argument.

It opens up society to another level of problematic behaviour.  If it somehow became acceptable for the Karen's that are yelling at their school trustees to begin picketing their houses, or defund-the-police advocates to picket police chiefs homes, or....

The only people being targeted are American women based off the decision of judges mostly put into power by people elected by a minority of voters. Picketing powerful people's homes is the least of my worries and the worries of a lot of pissed off people in the country right now.

I'm more concerned with what powerful people shoved into office by officials fewer people wanted in office are doing to Americans, not who's picketing in front of the powerful people's homes.

11 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

I'm a liberal -- I know you'll disagree with 90% of what I'll say.

:)

There’s no way in hell anyone can call themselves a liberal and say the name Reagan without spitting let alone call them one of the best presidents 

1 minute ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

There’s no way in hell anyone can call themselves a liberal and say the name Reagan without spitting let alone call them one of the best presidents 

I'm a liberal in how it is used in every country but the US.

Liberalism is a political and moral philosophy based on the rights of the individual, liberty, consent of the governed and equality before the law.[1][2][3] Liberals espouse a wide array of views depending on their understanding of these principles, but they generally support individual rights (including civil rights and human rights), liberal democracy, secularism, rule of law, economic and political freedom, freedom of speech, freedom of the press, freedom of religion, private property and a market economy.[11]

12 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

One shocking piece of news for you then. That has already been happening FOREVER. The Supreme Court justices in recent decades have just been weirdly immune to these sorts of protests. I assume a lot of this because most of what they do is either too nuanced for the general public or doesn't affect their day to day.

21 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

One shocking piece of news for you then. That has already been happening FOREVER. The Supreme Court justices in recent decades have just been weirdly immune to these sorts of protests. I assume a lot of this because most of what they do is either too nuanced for the general public or doesn't affect their day to day.

It’s also an interesting dynamic that the only period in the court’s history where there was sustained social change for the better had at the helm a literal former governor of California. It’s also no surprise that since then the conservatives of this country have tried and are succeeding at undoing that work from Miranda to roe to tinker etc. and that the court isn’t filled with democratic hacks but political Republican political operatives is telling as to who has realize the power of the court for the past half century

1 hour ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

They prosecuted a few, but I'm talking about the politicians who are crying foul about the protests but defended and minimized the capitol hill insurrection. and besides, the two aren't the same thing. Nobody is storming the judges houses and peaceful protest in this country is legal. Storming a capitol of the nation isn't. 

EDIT: I see this post went exactly where I thought it was going :|

• Halal 1

4 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

It’s also an interesting dynamic that the only period in the court’s history where there was sustained social change for the better had at the helm a literal former governor of California. It’s also no surprise that since then the conservatives of this country have tried and are succeeding at undoing that work from Miranda to roe to tinker etc. and that the court isn’t filled with democratic hacks but political Republican political operatives is telling as to who has realize the power of the court for the past half century

Religious leaders have certainly helped this out quite a bit, but this really comes down to the way Republicans work versus the way Democrats don't. Republicans will do anything within their ability to hold onto power, fuck norms. Democrats will not. As a result, Democrats still believe the SCOTUS is an equal and independent branch of the government, while Republicans long figured out they could just say fuck that and appoint young ideologues that'll support their agenda.

17 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

Religious leaders have certainly helped this out quite a bit, but this really comes down to the way Republicans work versus the way Democrats don't. Republicans will do anything within their ability to hold onto power, fuck norms. Democrats will not. As a result, Democrats still believe the SCOTUS is an equal and independent branch of the government, while Republicans long figured out they could just say fuck that and appoint young ideologues that'll support their agenda.

I mean they are the ideological descendants of Jim Crow so it’s none too surprising!

14 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

They prosecuted a few, but I'm talking about the politicians who are crying foul about the protests but defended and minimized the capitol hill insurrection. and besides, the two aren't the same thing. Nobody is storming the judges houses and peaceful protest in this country is legal. Storming a capitol of the nation isn't. 

EDIT: I see this post went exactly where I thought it was going :|

Protesting an institution is fundamentally different than protesting at someone's personal residence.  Protesting someone's house is pure intimidation, and in this case is illegal.

2 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

Protesting an institution is fundamentally different than protesting at someone's personal residence.  Protesting someone's house is pure intimidation, and in this case is illegal.

Bro... I'm not interested in going back and forth with you. You have plenty of other playmates who will indulge you. Please feel free to ignore anything I post on this subject.

• Halal 1