Oscar Nominees 2022

TheLeon

2 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Even though Gervais does correctly call out Hollywood on its hypocritical, self-righteous bullshit, he's got a quite a few other less-than-savory opinions that warrant him being on the receiving end of someone's open palm.

I see. But I enjoyed his all night roast of stuck up snobs that year. Best Oscars ever.

I legitimately had no fucking idea the Oscars even happened until someone sent me a meme about this idiocy this morning.

14 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

He's got a quite a few other less-than-savory opinions that warrant him being on the receiving end of someone's open palm.

I mean, who doesn't? I'd slap the shit out of half of you on here if given legal immunity and physical proximity. 

• Sicko 1

Just now, Kal-El814 said:

I am a serial monogamist and even I know the “so Will lets other people fuck his wife but making a joke about her is a problem somehow” takes are coming exclusively from the smoothest of brains.

My brain has been wrinkle free since 1992. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, legend said:

I'm unconvinced it was that kind of laugh. I might be able to buy that he was willing to "laugh it off" but after seeing Jada's response got triggered by her being hurt. We unfortunately don't see their reactions after they cut back to Chris.

The jomboy video spells it out pretty well.

48 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

The jomboy video spells it out pretty well.

I'm not sure we should be deferring to some social media guy named "Jomboy" as the authority of the actors internal states when he has no more information than us, but his interpretation seems pretty similar to what I just said :p 

What's also weird to me is that the joke itself was so innocuous... He went with GI Jane, a strong female character, rather than say,  George Costanza or some other negative character. Maybe it's giving him too much credit, but it's Chris Rock... if he were really trying to burn her for her baldness, don't you think he would have done better? 

I think Smith and some others are confusing the subject with the target of the joke. 

Frankly, I don't think violence should ever be the answer to a joke. Smith looks like a bloody idiot, IMO, especially when he then makes a speech about being called to be a vessel for peace. :raisedbrow:

1 hour ago, Nokra said:

What's also weird to me is that the joke itself was so innocuous... He went with GI Jane, a strong female character, rather than say,  George Costanza or some other negative character. Maybe it's giving him too much credit, but it's Chris Rock... if he were really trying to burn her for her baldness, don't you think he would have done better? 

I think Smith and some others are confusing the subject with the target of the joke. 

Frankly, I don't think violence should ever be the answer to a joke. Smith looks like a bloody idiot, IMO, especially when he then makes a speech about being called to be a vessel for peace. :raisedbrow:

Chris Rock is a great comedian, but people fuck up. It wasn't a great joke.

Honestly I'm shocked that security just... let this happen? I know it's the Oscars and people are expected to walk to the stage, but Smith wasn't getting an award at that moment.

4 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

There's a difference between being in a mutually-consenting open relationship and using a woman's medical condition as the punch line of a joke.

I've read way more than I care to have read on these people's lives in the last 7 hours and I'm not entirely sure it's a mutually-consenting open relationship at all. Either way, my opinion has always been that the GI Jane joke was clearly in bad taste, but that's show bizness for ya!

even if you take out the slap, this oscar’s was pretty bad. the producers have NO IDEA how to do this show. even simple things like when announcing the nominees, not always getting to see the actual movie. show me a clip of the movie when doing best picture. actually have best score on the show and let us listen to part of a song. 

we dont need constant jokes. we don’t need chris evans promoting lightyear immediately after troy kotsur’s heartfelt speech. we don’t need amy schumer kicking kirsten dunst out of her seat or regina hall feeling up josh brolin. 

these people are just clueless. your ratings suck. make a good awards show for a change and see what happens. 

8 minutes ago, Comet said:

I've read way more than I care to have read on these people's lives in the last 7 hours and I'm not entirely sure it's a mutually-consenting open relationship at all. Either way, my opinion has always been that the GI Jane joke was clearly in bad taste, but that's show bizness for ya!

i got the impression that he’s getting cucked. a while ago dude did an interview and apologized for his wife cheating on him 

38 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

Chris Rock is a great comedian, but people fuck up. It wasn't a great joke.

Honestly I'm shocked that security just... let this happen? I know it's the Oscars and people are expected to walk to the stage, but Smith wasn't getting an award at that moment.

While I agree it definitely wasn't a great joke (not a particularly creative observation, IMO) I'm of the opinion that we shouldn't start accepting violence as a reasonable reaction to even a bad joke. I know that's not what you're arguing for, of course.

It's also absurd to me that he assaulted someone on live television and was allowed to not only remain at the show but to actually win an award and give a tearful speech about being a vessel for peace. What a night. 

6 minutes ago, Nokra said:

While I agree it definitely wasn't a great joke (not a particularly creative observation, IMO) I'm of the opinion that we shouldn't start accepting violence as a reasonable reaction to even a bad joke. I know that's not what you're arguing for, of course.

It's also absurd to me that he assaulted someone on live television and was allowed to not only remain at the show but to actually win an award and give a tearful speech about being a vessel for peace. What a night. 

Indeed.

49 minutes ago, Biggie said:

This shit was so fake lol.

43 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

I think so too. I think the Oscars are desperate enough to do it. 

I defer to the experts when it comes to detecting fakes.

• Haha 6
  • True 1

The reason you should know it isn’t fake is that Will Smith isn’t a real person, he is a carefully crafted character and his actions here fly directly in the face of that character.

Yeah he doesn't come across as likable when he's screaming at Chris. If your'e gonna act, and your whole thing is that you're a likeable nice guy, then there's a way to come off as angry but not in an uncomfortable way. But this was just embarrassing to see. Not what you expected from Will. Definitely feels like a mask off moment.

It also doesn't make sense why he would stage something like this on the night that he was poised to win his first Oscar. This was his special night, and the only reason people will remember he won is because he used his speech as a way to say he was sorry.

Also, that speech was terrible. Using that moment to compare himself to Richard Williams was probably not what Venus and Serena were hoping for from that speech.

• True 1

28 minutes ago, Kamusha said:

Yeah he doesn't come across as likable when he's screaming at Chris. If your'e gonna act, and you're whole thing is that you're a likeable nice guy, then there's a way to come off as angry but not in an uncomfortable way. But this was just embarrassing to see. Not what you expected from Will. Definitely feels like a mask off moment.

It also doesn't make sense why he would stage something like this on the night that he was poised to win his first Oscar. This was his special night, and the only reason people will remember he won is because he used his speech as a way to say he was sorry.

Also, that speech was terrible. Using that moment to compare himself to Richard Williams was probably not what Venus and Serena were hoping from that speech.

Yeah, it really ruined his own moment, not to mention fellow Philly native Questlove whose Oscar win followed that incident.

All anyone wants to talk about is that now.

1 hour ago, MarSolo said:

Yeah, it really ruined his own moment, not to mention fellow Philly native Questlove whose Oscar win followed that incident.

All anyone wants to talk about is that now.

Yeah it sucks as a Philly native. 

I mean, for anyone who's been paying attention for awhile now, Will Smith is pretty much in a forced cuck situation, he seems pretty much hostage to the relationship for awhile now. Also, I believe Chris Rock had specifically made a joke at Jada's expense at a previous Oscars, which I imagine doesn't help matters. 

In no way do I condone what Will Smith did, you can yell back at him but answering words with violence seems really regressive. And his speech later was a mumbling rant that was barely coherent. I mean, I know scientology has really fucked up that family but yikes.

Also, when you watch the full clip, you can see Will is smiling and laughing and Jada looks pissed. Next thing, Will Smith starts walking on to the stage. It was clearly Jada sending him out there, even if not in so many words.

• True 1

4 minutes ago, MarSolo said:

It also doesn’t help that Jada put out a video a while back talking about her alopecia saying jokes about her hair don’t bother her.

Yeah, agreed, this is true. I think Jada just doesn't like Chris Rock given the repeated jokes at her expense and she basically controls Will Smith so . . . yikes. 

Just to be clear, Chris Rock's joke was bad, but typically I find Chris Rock to be a great comedian, his stand up specials are excellent.