Oscar Nominees 2022

TheLeon

Chris Rock's joke was bad, but in no world should Will Smith have hit him.

Coda is a fine movie, but far from an all time great.

Troy Kotsur accepting his award was basically the only highlight of the night.

The rest of the broadcast was generally terrible.

13 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:

At this point just get Colin Mochrie and Ryan Stiles to host and walk around like crabs and monkeys on stage for 4 hours. Major improvement!

colin-mochrie-butt-slap.gif

tumblr_mhxp3bSOxy1ryljh8o1_250.gif

And if anyone makes fun of Colin's baldness, Ryan can slap them in the face! 

9 minutes ago, stepee said:

Don’t care about the incident at all beyond it being itself a good setup for jokes BUT I will also say Rock impressed me with how professionally he handled that and went back to it.

After Will yells the second time, there’s a moment where he laughs a little and says “I could” but quickly trailed off. I’m guessing in that moment his mind was racing with all the ways he could attack back (verbally) but shook it off and decided to get back to the show ASAP

• True 3

6 minutes ago, TheLeon said:

After Will yells the second time, there’s a moment where he laughs a little and says “I could” but quickly trailed off. I’m guessing in that moment his mind was racing with all the ways he could attack back (verbally) but shook it off and decided to get back to the show ASAP

I would love to hear the jokes to clap back he had in his head at that moment, bet he had some seriously killer ones.

1 hour ago, TheLeon said:

I desperately want to know what he was going to say

14 hours ago, stepee said:

Don’t care about the incident at all beyond it being itself a good setup for jokes BUT I will also say Rock impressed me with how professionally he handled that and went back to it.

13 hours ago, TheLeon said:

13 hours ago, stepee said:

I would love to hear the jokes to clap back he had in his head at that moment, bet he had some seriously killer ones.

A pro who no doubt had about 5 in the chamber, instantly ready to go, and chose the higher ground.

At one time the biggest comedian on the planet (and still a great one) and a former Oscar host...

Stood there with his arms behind his back,

took the hit from a bigger man,

didn't flinch,

didn't fall,

didn't retaliate,

and kept it civil after a very uncomfortable situation.

I thought all of this quickly afterwards and I just don't know why it wasn't talked about more.

• True 1

There's some Barbera Streisand effect stuff going on as well. I had no idea Jada Pinkett Smith had alopecia or had shaved her head. I wasn't watching the oscars. I don't really care about them at all anymore. If he had told his joke and Will Smith had just shrugged it off it all would have died right there. Maybe 15 million people would have heard it while they were playing with their phones... no news stories would have been written about it, no article about the Oscars would have mentioned the joke... but instead it is now basically the single biggest news story in the world and one of the biggest pop culture moments in the history of all time. Billions of people have now heard the joke and this event will be shown, repeated and discussed for years and years.

Oops.

• True 2

2 hours ago, ort said:

There's some Barbera Streisand effect stuff going on as well. I had no idea Jada Pinkett Smith had alopecia or had shaved her head. I wasn't watching the oscars. I don't really care about them at all anymore. If he had told his joke and Will Smith had just shrugged it off it all would have died right there. Maybe 15 million people would have heard it while they were playing with their phones... no news stories would have been written about it, no article about the Oscars would have mentioned the joke... but instead it is now basically the single biggest news story in the world and one of the biggest pop culture moments in the history of all time. Billions of people have now heard the joke and this event will be shown, repeated and discussed for years and years.

Oops.

lol, this is quite true. Far more jokes are being made about Will and Jada as a result of him slapping Chris than would remotely be the case if the silly joke just came and went with no further response from them.

2 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

lol, this is quite true. Far more jokes are being made about Will and Jada as a result of him slapping Chris than would remotely be the case if the silly joke just came and went with no further response from them.

the amount of jada being with other men jokes at the expense of will smith has been staggering 

• True 3

38 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

This is now the only thing I know about her beyond she is an actress and married to Will Smith, it’s almost a good enough example of the Streisand effect to rename it.

• True 1

I had no idea that they had some sort of arrangement where she was allowed to sleep with other guys too... now I do... all because of this.

I was pretty happy knowing very little about them.

EDIT: I guess they have an open relationship and are both allowed to sleep with different people. See, this is what this crap can do. I had heard that she was the only one allowed to sleep around. Misinformation travels fast and can become fact in people's minds very quickly.

4 hours ago, ort said:

I had no idea that they had some sort of arrangement where she was allowed to sleep with other guys too... now I do... all because of this.

EDIT: I guess they have an open relationship and are both allowed to sleep with different people. See, this is what this crap can do. I had heard that she was the only one allowed to sleep around. Misinformation travels fast and can become fact in people's minds very quickly.

It's publicly known that the relationship became open after Jada cheated on Will. He was a guest on Jada's Red Table show and had a very awkward discussion about it where Jada basically says she has no regrets over her decisions, and Will still seems obviously hurt by the whole thing. It feels very much like opening the relationship up was her idea and it was done so that she can still have fun.

I'm pretty open minded when it comes to open relationships. I've even been in one myself. But their situation doesn't like the ideal foundation for a successful open marriage. You don't open up a relationship to save it, you open it up when it's already going strong. And both parties have to be equally on board. You can't have one person force the other to terms they don't want.

It's honestly irrelevant to the situation. It doesn't make Will "less of a man" or some shit like that. But maybe he feels like he's stuck in a relationship that he has no control over, which is why he was so quick to lose slap Chris to assert his control over the situation on Sunday. I'm not a professional psychologist so it's clearly not up to me, but you just don't lash out like that when everything in your life is going well.

• True 1

4 hours ago, ort said:

I'd check out Kamusha's post above mine. They are in an open relationship, but from what it appears over the years, Will is kind of stuck in it and doesn't want it to be open whereas Jada wants it to be open and have fun. Partially probably why Will Smith has been going through a breakdown the last few years, he needs therapy. The family was also in Scientology for awhile through Jada I believe, which probably didn't help.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Greatoneshere said:

I'd check out Kamusha's post above mine. They are in an open relationship, but from what it appears over the years, Will is kind of stuck in it and doesn't want it to be open whereas Jada wants it to be open and have fun. Partially probably why Will Smith has been going through a breakdown the last few years, he needs therapy. The family was also in Scientology for awhile through Jada I believe, which probably didn't help.

200722-stern-scientology-lede_vf7myx
WWW.THEDAILYBEAST.COM

Former teachers and administrators at the Smiths’ shuttered New Village Leadership Academy reveal to The Daily Beast that despite their public denials, it was a Scientology school.

• Thanks 2