Liberals have cancelled Mr. Potato Head. 😡

Jason

5 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

I guess they’ll be what ever the kid wants them to be. 

are they going to combine both Potato Heads into a single package? Or make the base package gender neutral and you can buy “gender ad-on” packs? 

I will be starting a new Potato Head subscription service. Every month you will receive one facial feature in the mail.

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, ort said:

Call me potato. Mr. Potato Head was my father...

Here's a fun fact, back in the day, they were just body parts with literal spikes, and you supplied your own real potato.

rg1juphuq94xakwxnv8x.jpg
WWW.THEONION.COM

WASHINGTON, DC–In cooperation with the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, Wizco Toys of Montclair, NJ, recalled 245,000 Aqua Assault RoboFighters...

• Haha 4

My 32 year old brother still says "retard" when we chat when gaming (rarely, but it happens) and he's a psychiatrist. My 30 year old brother in law still says "gay" about things he doesn't like, as in, "that's gay". It's really fucking annoying and I've corrected them numerous times and they still do it. This will be the kind of shit younger generations will roll their eyes at our generation for, like how we do with boomers and gen-Xers for their toxic masculinity BS and subtle racism. It's tiring, don't people want their behaviors and values to be future proof?

It's strange because my brother is pretty progressive and my brother in law is somewhere between a moderate and a liberal. 

17 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

No, sorry about that. I’ve been posting the link forever and haven’t read the content in years.

With some rare exceptions, The Onion is best used for its headlines, anyway! In fact, that is how they come up with stories. Each morning (well, at least when it was a larger company) they would have scrums/meetings where they would just shoot out one-liner article titles to see which got the most laughs. Then they'd make up stories to go with them.

1 hour ago, Greatoneshere said:

My 32 year old brother still says "retard" when we chat when gaming (rarely, but it happens) and he's a psychiatrist. My 30 year old brother in law still says "gay" about things he doesn't like, as in, "that's gay". It's really fucking annoying and I've corrected them numerous times and they still do it. This will be the kind of shit younger generations will roll their eyes at our generation for, like how we do with boomers and gen-Xers for their toxic masculinity BS and subtle racism. It's tiring, don't people want their behaviors and values to be future proof?

It's strange because my brother is pretty progressive and my brother in law is somewhere between a moderate and a liberal. 

Not gonna lie, I’m sometimes still guilty of this same retarded gay-ass shit. Some habits are hard to break. Though I tend to only let myself slip when I’m only with friends who talk the same way. I watch myself when anybody new is in the mix. Or I do it to “be ironic” with my sibling, who it annoys and will hit me for. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Greatoneshere said:

It really doesn't matter what your views are if you grew up saying that shit. It is probably so ingrained into their vocabulary that it doesn't even register. The only way for them to stop would be some kind of negative physical feedback.

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

Not gonna lie, I’m sometimes still guilty of this same retarded gay-ass shit. Some habits are hard to break. Though I tend to only let myself slip when I’m only with friends who talk the same way. I watch myself when anybody new is in the mix. Or I do it to “be ironic” with my sibling, who it annoys and will hit me for. 

5 minutes ago, Bacon said:

It really doesn't matter what your views are if you grew up saying that shit. It is probably so ingrained into their vocabulary that it doesn't even register. The only way for them to stop would be some kind of negative physical feedback.

You're both probably right, it's definitely super ingrained. But I used to say "retard" myself (never did really say "that's gay" though) and I've long since changed it. But yeah it's probably going to take time for them but they should try to change it at this point. I don't hate them for it but I do sort of bite my tongue every time it is said. :p 

I wasn't allowed to say things like "gay" or "retarded" to denote negative things, because my parents were really hardcore about not using language to demean other people. Which is amusing because they are Trump supporters. But it's also made it easier to transition into a world where that type of language is frowned upon.

2 hours ago, Brick said:

what? So they’re gong to just ad a gender neutral potato head package to their toy line? Because that’s the only option unless they’re giving in an abandoning the whole thing. 

I don’t get it. Did they think Fox News and assholes would just ignore it or praise them for it? 

they’re either coward or colossal idiots. I cannot tell which yet at this point.   

Conservatives are blaming this decision on trans people, but I don’t think any of us were specifically asking for this. It’s all marketing. Hasbro figured they can appeal to a wider range of kids by dropping the gender specific language and including both lips in the same box. It doesn’t have to be any more complicated than that. I’m tired of being included in the majority of these manufactured culture wars.

16 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

rg1juphuq94xakwxnv8x.jpg
WWW.THEONION.COM

WASHINGTON, DC–In cooperation with the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, Wizco Toys of Montclair, NJ, recalled 245,000 Aqua Assault RoboFighters...

Fun fact: That was the first Onion article I ever read back in the day which made me a fan of The Onion. :P

11 hours ago, sblfilms said:

I wasn't allowed to say things like "gay" or "retarded" to denote negative things, because my parents were really hardcore about not using language to demean other people. Which is amusing because they are Trump supporters. But it's also made it easier to transition into a world where that type of language is frowned upon.

When I was a kid "gay" was used a lot to denote negative things.  We never used it in my house growing up.  My parents explained early why it was bad and it also felt lazy. It seems to have stuck though to the next gen's lexicon. I've heard my sons and their teenage friends use it in that way still today.  Which surprises me a little because I thought today's teen was supposed to be more sensitive to shit like that.  I've had to correct them and their friends on a few occasions over the years.

As far as retarded goes, and I'll admit I'm in the wrong here, I still use it from time to time.  It's not a constant part of my vocabulary, but it hasn't left entirely.  For whatever reason in my head there's a big difference between calling a thing/situation 'retarded' and calling someone 'a retard'.  The latter is something I'd never say, but the former just doesn't feel transgressive.  It's not being applied in the context of a person or their mental capacity.  I don't know.  I don't have the words to explain it right now beyond that it just doesn't feel wrong in my head.  Like if I were to say "faggot"  or the n-word or '$person is a retard' out loud here right now it'd make me very uncomfortable, even though I'm alone in the room and nobody would hear it. I wouldn't feel that same personal sense of unease if I were to say something like "that shit's retarded" in reference to a thing/situation.  I don't know if that makes sense.

I used gay as a way of saying "This sucks," when I was a teen. In fact, I think I used it into my early 20s because that's when one of close friends came out, and hhe was the one who weeded me off it because anytime I said it, he said, "Really? And how does this remind you of two men who are attracted to each other?!" And eventually it just got to the point when I realized that the entire reason we said "That's gay" was because the term 'gay' was negative. But at the time, the reasoning was usually, "I mean, of course I don't really mean gay when I say gay."

59 minutes ago, Komusha said:

Conservatives are blaming this decision on trans people, but I don’t think any of us were specifically asking for this. It’s all marketing. Hasbro figured they can appeal to a wider range of kids by dropping the gender specific language and including both lips in the same box. It doesn’t have to be any more complicated than that. I’m tired of being included in the majority of these manufactured culture wars.

I've been meaning to ask: when did you get back to Komusha? 

52 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

I used gay as a way of saying "This sucks," when I was a teen. In fact, I think I used it into my early 20s because that's when one of close friends came out, and hhe was the one who weeded me off it because anytime I said it, he said, "Really? And how does this remind you of two men who are attracted to each other?!" And eventually it just got to the point when I realized that the entire reason we said "That's gay" was because the term 'gay' was negative. But at the time, the reasoning was usually, "I mean, of course I don't really mean gay when I say gay."

That's hay.

1 hour ago, SaysWho? said:

I've been meaning to ask: when did you get back to Komusha? 

A couple weeks ago I think? I logged back into my old account by accident and then I was like, hey, I prefer my old handle anyways.

• Like 1