Liberals have cancelled Mr. Potato Head. 😡

Jason

51 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

I'm glad Mexicans are trying to appropriate Speedy Gonzalez but I always felt he was racist even when I was a kid. Yeah, he was cool, but like, just look at the character. 

He dresses just like my wife’s padrino does even to this day

1 hour ago, ort said:

I think it was more the other mice like Slow Poke Rodriguez who were the really negative stereotypes. Speedy was always played as a super-competent badass.

It's still a show written by white people, and voice acted by white people about a bunch of poor Mexican stereotypes played for laughs and turned all the way up to 11.

I also want to add that while I recognize all of these as super problematic, they still make me laugh and I still have a special place in my heart for all these goofy ass, racist violent cartoons I grew up on...

To be fair, even Slowpoke had his moments

1 hour ago, Greatoneshere said:

I'm glad Mexicans are trying to appropriate Speedy Gonzalez but I always felt he was racist even when I was a kid. Yeah, he was cool, but like, just look at the character. 

Feeling that the character presented an offensive Mexican stereotype, Cartoon Network shelved Speedy's films when it gained exclusive rights to broadcast them in 1999 (as a subsidiary of Time Warner, Cartoon Network is a corporate sibling to Warner Bros.). In an interview with Fox News on March 28, 2002, Cartoon Network spokeswoman Laurie Goldberg commented, "It hasn't been on the air for years because of its ethnic stereotypes."[6]

Despite such controversy over potentially offensive characterizations, Speedy Gonzales remained a popular character in Latin America.[6] Many Hispanic people remembered him fondly as a quick-witted, heroic Mexican character who always got the best of his opponents, at a time when such depictions of Latin Americans were rare in popular entertainment.[7] The Hispanic-American rights organization League of United Latin American Citizens called Speedy a cultural icon, and thousands of users registered their support of the character on the hispaniconline.com message boards. Fan campaigns to put Speedy back on the air resulted in the return of the animated shorts to Cartoon Network in 2002.[8]

7 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Were you ever offended by this Popeye cartoon?

Short answer: yes. :p 

6 hours ago, sblfilms said:

He dresses just like my wife’s padrino does even to this day

I mean, I'm with you, it's just, intent matters right? I dunno. I'm not upset or anything but seems like we could do better?

12 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

Short answer: yes. :p 

I mean, I'm with you, it's just, intent matters right? I dunno. I'm not upset or anything but seems like we could do better?

He was created to be a caricature. Not unlike Yosemite Sam, Elmer Fudd, or Foghorn Leghorn. Using very tired stereotypes. I’m pretty sure they set out to make a beloved character they could user over and over that kids would enjoy seeing. He was even a hero character, and often portrayed as a hero of the people, the downtrodden. 

I don’t think they gave any thought to whether Mexicans would be offended by the characteristics of Speedy, because that just wasn’t the style at the time. Are they were being cheeky, but the goal was to create a memorable character. 

could we do better? Maybe. 

We don't want him. 

Just put him on a boat, and tell him it's going to Canada, but really it's just going to drift at sea. 

To think a few years ago I got into an argument with someone that said Crowder was someone worth listening to on the right (along with Tucker Carlson, Paul Joseph Watson, and Ben Shapiro...I always knew the guy was an idiot). 

Also, wow! That was a lot of racism packed into two minutes and fifteen seconds. 

2 hours ago, Brick said:

We don't want him. 

Just put him on a boat, and tell him it's going to Canada, but really it's just going to drift at sea. 

To think a few years ago I got into an argument with someone that said Crowder was someone worth listening to on the right (along with Tucker Carlson, Paul Joseph Watson, and Ben Shapiro...I always knew the guy was an idiot). 

Also, wow! That was a lot of racism packed into two minutes and fifteen seconds. 

It was so much worse than I expected too. Just appalling that anyone could watch that and either think it's funny or keep watching him after seeing that and thinking it wasn't funny. But they're out there!

1 minute ago, thewhyteboar said:

Republicans are just so fucking weird.

Apparently they played most of the live WAP performance so you know it was a bunch of dudes jacking it to the combo of Cardi B, Megan, and Tucker's voice.

• Confused 1

44 minutes ago, thewhyteboar said:

Republicans are just so fucking weird.

What's hilarious is no lib woman thinks making their husband a sandwich is a sin because they are lib women! They hate religion, right? The hills these idiots choose to die on. As usual Republicans are sexually impotent but super horny.

48 minutes ago, Jason said:

Apparently they played most of the live WAP performance so you know it was a bunch of dudes jacking it to the combo of Cardi B, Megan, and Tucker's voice.

The entirety of the American conservative movement is based on not getting enough love as a child and boner shame.