Liberals have cancelled Mr. Potato Head. 😡

Jason

This Dr. Seuss meltdown is just next-level maddeningly stupid. It's been like the main topic of discussion on Fox News for like 2-3 days...

It's seriously one of the stupidest things to come out of American politics ever and that's saying a WHOLE FUCKING LOT. It's so dishonest, so manipulative, so fucking calculated and devious that anyone pushing it is a total motherfucker. FUCK ALL THESE PEOPLE.

I'll cancel their fucking faces.

Seriously, the Republican Party has nothing. They stand for absolutely fucking nothing.

If this is the battle they are choosing to collectively fight... then what the flying fuck is even happening?

Who are they even mad at? Why? What the fucking fuck is this fucking shit? FUCK.

7 minutes ago, ort said:

Seriously, the Republican Party has nothing. They stand for absolutely fucking nothing.

If this is the battle they are choosing to collectively fight... then what the flying fuck is even happening?

Who are they even mad at? Why? What the fucking fuck is this fucking shit? FUCK.

But they'll still win because the best the Democrats offer is "lol look at how crazy they are at least we're not them". 

1 hour ago, ort said:

This Dr. Seuss meltdown is just next-level maddeningly stupid. It's been like the main topic of discussion on Fox News for like 2-3 days...

It's seriously one of the stupidest things to come out of American politics ever and that's saying a WHOLE FUCKING LOT. It's so dishonest, so manipulative, so fucking calculated and devious that anyone pushing it is a total motherfucker. FUCK ALL THESE PEOPLE.

I'll cancel their fucking faces.

Unfortunately it sells.

Anecdotally, I've got family on various levels of the right wing news spectrum, and it seems like this is the kind of stuff they feel most comfortable talking to me about. To them it gets sold as "only crazies would possibly think this is ok" so they always seem surprised when I disagree with them and think maybe it's ok if we don't show kids openly racists books or cartoons. Fox News has done a very effective job at weaponizing this kind of thing.

25 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

Unfortunately it sells.

Anecdotally, I've got family on various levels of the right wing news spectrum, and it seems like this is the kind of stuff they feel most comfortable talking to me about. To them it gets sold as "only crazies would possibly think this is ok" so they always seem surprised when I disagree with them and think maybe it's ok if we don't show kids openly racists books or cartoons. Fox News has done a very effective job at weaponizing this kind of thing.

I’m seeing back the blue styled Cat in the Hat memes today, it’s fucking ridiculous.

35 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

Unfortunately it sells.

What’s the harm. Our parents and grand parents were raised on those books and cartoons and they didn’t turn out racist....oh wait. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, ort said:

Sadly, it works because most people are dumb and faux easy to understand culture war arguments are easier to grasp and get "mad" about than fighting for minimum wage or infrastructure or a better tax system. 

Think about it - a private corporation (Dr. Seuss), decided on their own, to cancel a mere 6 books out of a large collection and somehow it's been weaponized as "Dr. Seuss is being cancelled" when it's not. They cancelled 6 books, not Dr. Seuss. When you stack this on top of The Muppets being "cancelled" and Gina Carano being "cancelled" and Mr. Potato Head being "cancelled" and Aunt Jemima being "cancelled" or Cherokee being "cancelled" it gives them something easy to hate, fear and digest even though no one was cancelled. Dr. Seuss was not cancelled. Mr. Potato Head wasn't cancelled at all, it's just the brand name that was changed, not the actual figures, who remain labeled as "Mr." and "Mrs." Potato Head. Gina Carano was not cancelled - she was fired for multiple breaches of contract by a private corporation spreading anti-mask and anti-vax propoganda and dumb takes on Holocaust comparisons on a very large public platform where she has a voice that will be heard. Aunt Jemima wasn't cancelled - they merely changed the brand name (not even the picture!) so as to stop peddling a racist trope. Jeeps were not cancelled - the argument was simply the name of one of their lines of Jeeps should be changed. Changing something is not cancelling something, per se, and certainly not here.

Does any of that even have to do with government or good governance? Nope, not at all. But they blame the Democrats (who, for them, are some monolithic group of liberals, progressives, and Antifa) for creating a culture that drove these private corporations to make these changes rather than understanding the customer base has completely changed - they are simply going where the money is and it happens to match with better social values. They don't care that Democrats have had a better vaccine rollout than Trump and the Republicans did, they don't care that Biden's Covid relief bill helps more of them than Trump ever cared to help, they don't care that Biden and the Democrats believe more strongly in education for their kids, or clean energy for the future of humanity, or engendering a culture of acceptance and caring about others (vs. Trump and the GOP's constant fear mongering and hate mongering).

But hey, some private corporations made some changes to their own products and brand names. People are dying of hunger all over the country, freezing to death with no electricity or power in Texas, and the levels of homelessness and joblessness are quite high, with Covid not helping matters at all. I wonder which matters more. But to them, only cancel culture matters, because they're scared they'll be held to account themselves. It only reveals them for who they really are. 

Ask @TwinIon or @MarSolo why the people they know don't find issue with why a couple of Dr. Seuss books were "cancelled". My take: projection, as it usually is. They're racist themselves, and don't see how what was in those books are racist. Over 74 million people voted for Trump after two campaign runs and 4 years of evidence that should have made the decision to vote for Biden over him one of the easiest decisions to ever make. But here we are. Believe people when they tell you who they are.

The dumbest part is that I bet if you went out in the street and asked Americans to make a list of every Dr. Seuss book they could recall... that 99.99% of them would not name even one of these six books.*

I am so annoyed at all of this and I feel like I'm just falling into their trap. I need to just turn off all of this noise and ignore it... but it's hard... because it's just so unbelievably dumb. Like on a deep cosmic level.

*Prior to this latest controversy of course.

And you know what else... Packaging changes all the time with no press release or tweets, fuck Hasbro they deserve all the blowback. They should have just changed it and put all the parts inside called it the Potato Head Family Set or some shit. Fucking dumbass suits and production managers.

54 minutes ago, SuperSpreader said:

And you know what else... Packaging changes all the time with no press release or tweets, fuck Hasbro they deserve all the blowback. They should have just changed it and put all the parts inside called it the Potato Head Family Set or some shit. Fucking dumbass suits and production managers.

I’m not here to defend a corporation’s marketing decision but are you saying they deserve a blowback that’s being largely fueled by transphobia? Am I understanding you correctly, that the transphobic reaction is deserved?

44 minutes ago, Komusha said:

I’m not here to defend a corporation’s marketing decision but are you saying they deserve a blowback that’s being largely fueled by transphobia? Am I understanding you correctly, that the transphobic reaction is deserved?

They tried to capitalize on something they didn't believe in with a cost reduction move and it blew up in their potato faces instead of simply just making the change. It's like when corporations grab all the brown or black people for that annual diversity photo but don't actually include them in any top level decision making. No one cared that there was a Mr and Mrs potato head, they did this. 

12 minutes ago, SuperSpreader said:

They tried to capitalize on something they didn't believe in with a cost reduction move and it blew up in their potato faces instead of simply just making the change. It's like when corporations grab all the brown or black people for that annual diversity photo but don't actually include them in any top level decision making. No one cared that there was a Mr and Mrs potato head, they did this. 

Good way to clear out old inventory

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, MarSolo said:

I showed my mom the image from one of the books, “the Chinaman who eats with sticks” and she didn’t understand why it was considered racist.

I've seen a couple people on Facebook repost how awesome it is that cancelling Dr Seuss resulted in Dr Seuss books rocketing to the top selling books on Amazon.  When you look it's the books you've heard of and not these Dr Seuss deep cuts with the old timey racism.

It doesn't matter though, there's a culture war to fight

3 hours ago, SuperSpreader said:

It would be one thing if the blowback was because people were criticizing Hasbro’s performance wokeness, but instead the blowback is because “trans people are ruining this country and are responsible for canceling Mr Potato head.” So the blowback actually stirs up hatred for a vulnerable group that is already much more likely to be violently attacked. Saying this blowback is deserved... is not something someone would say who is at the receiving end of this ire. I don’t like that Hasbro did this, but I’m much more angry about the right wings propagandists who are spinning this and continuing to make the world a dangerous place for people like me.