Official "Look How Insane and Shitty ALL GOP Officials Are" Thread

13 hours ago, stepee said:

I honestly don’t know how anyone uses “woke” unironically and also manages to get dressed by themselves in the morning without assistance 

I wish I could say the same! I know several Cornell/Stanford/Princeton educated people that count themselves as foot soldiers in the war to wind back the clock to the 20th century. The essential thing I've come to understand, based on my interactions with these folks, is that misogynists often don't know that they are misogynists. The second thing is that they conflate management vs employee issues with diversity initiatives. I've tried many times to explain to these folks that management will attempt to fuck us regardless of the avenue they use, but its always easier for these folks to blame progressive policy changes and minorities rather than the ills of the market and just shitty leadership. 

Edit: I guess my point is that intelligence and education are not a absolute bulwark against deep seeded bias and inaccurate world views installed by parents and reinforced by communities.  

19 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

I wish I could say the same! I know several Cornell/Stanford/Princeton educated people that count themselves as foot soldiers in the war to wind back the clock to the 20th century. The essential thing I've come to understand, based on my interactions with these folks, is that misogynists often don't know that they are misogynists. The second thing is that they conflate management vs employee issues with diversity initiatives. I've tried many times to explain to these folks that management will attempt to fuck us regardless of the avenue they use, but its always easier for these folks to blame progressive policy changes and minorities rather than the ills of the market and just shitty leadership. 

Edit: I guess my point is that intelligence and education are not a absolute bulwark against deep seeded bias and inaccurate world views installed by parents and reinforced by communities.  

Everyone figures the time they were a teenager or in their early 20s were the best times.  For the very online millennials that would be the 90s and early 00s and now they're getting old enough where the world moving forward is getting scary of confusing for some of them.  It all just keeps going, same thing every time, "Back in my day yadda yadda yadda".  They're just not so self aware to see they're becoming those people they rolled their eyes at before who said they just aren't comfortable with interracial marriage.

• Halal 1

31 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

They absolutely aren't.  And "professionals" can often be among the very worst in this regard, leaning DEEPLY into Dunning-Kruger territory, especially in matters of race and gender equality.

Personally, I think the books WHITE FRAGILITY, SO YOU WANT TO TALK ABOUT RACE, DELUSIONS OF GENDER, and INVISIBLE WOMEN: EXPOSING DATA BIAS IN A WORLD DESIGNED FOR MEN, should be required reading for, well, white men everywhere.

Racism and Sexism are so deeply ingrained in our cultural psyche that many (most) are completely unaware of how easily perpetuated many misanthropic ideas and actions are in our daily lives.  And it isn't at all limited to those some might consider "the usual suspects" (those on the right); left-leaning individuals who believe themselves to be more equality-driven and fair-minded are every bit as prone to doing things which maintain the structural inequalities which mark the status quo.  I have to (reluctantly) consider myself part of that group, although I'd like to believe that I've evolved somewhat, based on what I've learned from the books above (and others like them).

• Halal 3

7 minutes ago, finaljedi said:

Everyone figures the time they were a teenager or in their early 20s were the best times.  For the very online millennials that would be the 90s and early 00s and now they're getting old enough where the world moving forward is getting scary of confusing for some of them.  It all just keeps going, same thing every time, "Back in my day yadda yadda yadda".  They're just not so self aware to see they're becoming those people they rolled their eyes at before who said they just aren't comfortable with interracial marriage.

I think that argument might hold truth for a number of generations, but I'm not sure that it's quite as true for the Gen X, Millenial, Gen Z generations, each of whom have grown up during periods of some of the most profound technological disruptions in human history.  And yes, while that argument can be applied to some extent to any generation post Industrial Revolution, the exponential growth in technological innovation and encroachment in/on our daily lives does, to my mind, mark recent generations as unique in this regard.

I took a programming class in middle school, and it was the second year in which programming was done on a PC, for part of the year.  We also spent several months punching key cards for manual programming.

So as someone whose life started with essentially no meaningful computer presense in their lives, to where we are now - it's an extraordinary magnitude of technological growth over the past ~40 years.

• Halal 1

19 minutes ago, GoldenTongue said:

I think that argument might hold truth for a number of generations, but I'm not sure that it's quite as true for the Gen X, Millenial, Gen Z generations, each of whom have grown up during periods of some of the most profound technological disruptions in human history.  And yes, while that argument can be applied to some extent to any generation post Industrial Revolution, the exponential growth in technological innovation and encroachment in/on our daily lives does, to my mind, mark recent generations as unique in this regard.

I took a programming class in middle school, and it was the second year in which programming was done on a PC, for part of the year.  We also spent several months punching key cards for manual programming.

So as someone whose life started with essentially no meaningful computer presense in their lives, to where we are now - it's an extraordinary magnitude of technological growth over the past ~40 years.

I was speaking more to social trends than technological.  I'm 40, will be 41 in a couple months, I remember being a kid before people had the Internet or cell phones.  I do think Gen X and forward are able to adapt to changing technology better than generations that came before, but a lot of the dragging of heels with regards to social progress is still fairly pervasive.

3 hours ago, GoldenTongue said:

Personally, I think the books WHITE FRAGILITY, SO YOU WANT TO TALK ABOUT RACE, DELUSIONS OF GENDER, and INVISIBLE WOMEN: EXPOSING DATA BIAS IN A WORLD DESIGNED FOR MEN, should be required reading for, well, white men everywhere.

Is there one of these that you'd recommend starting with? 

4 hours ago, Nokra said:

Is there one of these that you'd recommend starting with? 

Honestly, they’re all worth reading but if I had to narrow it down -

In terms of discussions of racism, WHITE FRAGILITY does an amazing job of breaking down every single rationalization of “I’m not racist because…” while also explaining what racism really is and what it means - it isn’t simply a synonym for bigotry or prejudice. I think I’m inclined toward that one partially because I read it first, and had more than a few moments of feeling genuine unease at how eerily similar I am (or was) to many of the tropes described in the book, that despite believing myself to be a progressive person and advocate for genuine equality, that I have unknowingly done my own small part to maintain the status quo that marks the broken state of race relations in this country. If I’d read SO YOU WANT TO TALK ABOUT RACE first, I might be inclined to suggest that one, as it treads some common ground, but there was less…shock factor, or perhaps epiphany/discovery are better terms, when reading that one, having already gone through WHITE FRAGILITY. 

In terms of gender equality, I’m struggling to rate DELUSIONS OF GENDER and INVISIBLE WOMEN. Both really are well worth reading. 

• Thanks 1

On 5/10/2024 at 10:37 AM, GoldenTongue said:

They absolutely aren't.  And "professionals" can often be among the very worst in this regard, leaning DEEPLY into Dunning-Kruger territory, especially in matters of race and gender equality.

Racism and Sexism are so deeply ingrained in our cultural psyche that many (most) are completely unaware of how easily perpetuated many misanthropic ideas and actions are in our daily lives.  And it isn't at all limited to those some might consider "the usual suspects" (those on the right); left-leaning individuals who believe themselves to be more equality-driven and fair-minded are every bit as prone to doing things which maintain the structural inequalities which mark the status quo.  I have to (reluctantly) consider myself part of that group, although I'd like to believe that I've evolved somewhat, based on what I've learned from the books above (and others like them).

Those books sound interesting I'll check if there are good audible versions :thinking:

On 5/10/2024 at 11:08 AM, finaljedi said:

I was speaking more to social trends than technological.  I'm 40, will be 41 in a couple months, I remember being a kid before people had the Internet or cell phones.  I do think Gen X and forward are able to adapt to changing technology better than generations that came before, but a lot of the dragging of heels with regards to social progress is still fairly pervasive.

I'm 43 and have totally been into new technology. One thing I was very against though was Facebook... right from the start I was not keen on people using their real names online and it just didn't sit right with me (I was running a clan on MTGNews at the time and @Chairslinger was still active there). As someone who suffered a lot of bullying in school the anonymity the internet provides was a lot safer. I think history has proved me right on being Facebook resistant :epilepsy:

10 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:
WWW.NYTIMES.COM

An upside-down flag, adopted by Trump supporters contesting the Biden victory, flew over the justice’s front lawn as the Supreme Court was considering an election case.

The key bit

While the flag was up, the court was still contending with whether to hear a 2020 election case, with Justice Alito on the losing end of that decision.

Fuck that chode. 

fsBHlj9.png

Of course it is. Culture War tourism is a big money maker. For anyone not familiar, Butker did a commencement speech where he told the female graduates that the best thing they could do is not have careers, and instead have "more babies than thoughts." 

• Guillotine 2

1 hour ago, CitizenVectron said:

fsBHlj9.png

Of course it is. Culture War tourism is a big money maker. For anyone not familiar, Butker did a commencement speech where he told the female graduates that the best thing they could do is not have careers, and instead have "more babies than thoughts." 

Since he's not a GOP official we were discussing it here

Even if you want to argue that it was Alito's wife that flew the symbol and not him,

1. People generally marry people with whom they share the same values

2. The fact that he hasn't actively condemned his wife's action doesn't say very much good about him.

1 hour ago, CastletonSnob said:

Even if you want to argue that it was Alito's wife that flew the symbol and not him,

1. People generally marry people with whom they share the same values

2. The fact that he hasn't actively condemned his wife's action doesn't say very much good about him.

The fact he doesn't condemn his wife's actions just means he's at least smart enough to not do something so insanely stipid like condemning his wife's actions. 

• Haha 1
  • True 1

On 5/17/2024 at 1:13 PM, ort said:
WWW.SPORTINGNEWS.COM

Chiefs kicker Harrison Butker has come under fire for controversial comments made during a commencement speech, and some are seeing the irony in his mother's own career.

well, most females that I ever see try out for the Male football teams in places like High School generally attempt to get on the team as Kickers… so maybe his statements arent really malicious as much as they are about job security

Lots of “heaven forbid someone express their beliefs”… I wonder what the intersection is with those folks and the ones offended by Kapernick

• Haha 1

WWW.NOTUS.ORG

“Frankly, the guy — I don’t want to say bad stuff — is clueless on the Middle East,” one source told NOTUS.

lol no shit

Sounds like this fucking moron basically went into the meeting with the thought "if they don't like Biden right now they must be on Israel's side."

The meeting — which took place at chain Italian restaurant Maggiano’s in Troy, Michigan — featured about 40 Arab American leaders, Grenell, Trump’s son-in-law Michael Boulos, and Boulos’ father, Massad Boulos. According to two sources in attendance for the private dinner, Grenell came off as unsympathetic to the plight of Palestinians while actually angering some participants by reiterating a comment from Trump’s other son-in-law, Jared Kushner, who said in March that Israel should remove Palestinians from the valuable “waterfront property” in Gaza.

This source told NOTUS that Grenell said “typical Republican” things about the war Tuesday night. “Fox News stuff,” said this source, who voted for Biden in 2020 and Hillary Clinton in 2016.

But also, a word of warning about Biden team dropping the ball here

“It was an interesting and positive meeting because they’re reaching out to our community, asking what they can do to win our vote versus, you know, the alternative right now,” one of the meeting’s participants told NOTUS.

WWW.WASHINGTONPOST.COM

Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis’s administration is blocking cities from using rainbow lighting on bridges for Pride Month and other events.

a joke on the bird app: "Welcome to Freedom Summer. The following colors are now forbidden."