SWITCH Successor backward compatible chances?

HardAct

I believe that if they keep the Name and go with "SWITCH2" then they have to have it backwards compatible, but this is Nintendo where talking about and they never seem to mind making everyone an after thought. If Backwards Compatible it's easily a day one purchase, if not I'm done. I'm starting to really anticipate their next gen console though this past year. It's time, I think they know it. THOUGHTS? Well I guess I'd buy it for all new games if there were a nice launch collection, but there going to sell a shit ton either way, I'm ready....I THINK!

The digital library being Backwards Compatible would be nice...

but Nintendo likes to Nintendo things up... im curious to see what this mutates into....

Actually im more curious as to what the new system will be like....if you cant raise horsepower significantly then what can you add to the console? Will it retain portability at the expense of graphics/performance again?

99.9% Chance. 

Like seriously, they've spent billions over the last several years getting their online service going, porting/remastering/remaking old games, and continue to expand their lineup of the NSO classics library of NES, SNES, N64, and most recently GB/GBA titles. 

I know we all say "Because...Nintendo," but I don't believe it for a second they'll just drop support entirely. Switch 2 more than likely will be fully BC, and on top of that, be a 2 or so year transitional period where cross-gen titles will be present. 

• Haha 1

I would expect digital purchases to be compatible, but I'm less confident about physical cards. I don't really know much about the tech behind the Switch cartridges, but there isn't any reason that I'm aware of that they couldn't evolve the spec to handle whatever the next console would like to do.

Ultimately, this is still Nintendo. The last time they had a runaway success they pivoted and made one of the worst consoles of all time, but they also maintained BC.

I expect a Switch 2 to be very much like the current Switch and maintain compatibility, but I wouldn't bet money on it. If there's one thing that they love, it's reselling you the same games over and over again.

Nintendo has normally supported one generation back since the GCN and GBA. The Wii could play GCN games and even had GCN ports and the Wii U could play Wii games, even if it was in that weirdo Wii mode. On the handheld front, the GBA could play GB games, the DS could play GBA games, and the 3DS could play DS games. As far as downloadable games go, the DS downloads worked on the 3DS and Wii downloads worked in the Wii U.

Nintendo broke ALL backyard compatibility with the move to the Switch. That would be a first for them, but it's a new sort of market, so I sort of get it.

I'd say there's a very good chance the Switch 2 will fully support Switch games.

1 hour ago, gamer.tv said:

So you’re saying 50/50

Well the Wii could play Gamecube games, and the Wii U could play Wii games, the Switch just isn't backwards compatible because it doesn't have a disc drive, so I'll say the percentage chance of the Switch's successor being backwards compatible is... 

Wait for it... 

4 hours ago, Brick said:

Well the Wii could play Gamecube games, and the Wii U could play Wii games, the Switch just isn't backwards compatible because it doesn't have a disc drive, so I'll say the percentage chance of the Switch's successor being backwards compatible is... 

Wait for it... 

I'm assuming their next system might still use carts but a different, just-as-proprietary type of cart since they've learned remasters that cost 2% of the budget of the original launch can often sell better than the original launch when it comes to low to mid-tier releases.

49 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

I'm assuming their next system might still use carts but a different, just-as-proprietary type of cart since they've learned remasters that cost 2% of the budget of the original launch can often sell better than the original launch when it comes to low to mid-tier releases.

I'm assuming the next system will use cartridges as well. Makes more sense, and more portable for a console that can be taken with you as a handheld. I wouldn't have minded if the Switch cartridges were a bit bigger though so that they could fit more memory on them as well as possibly faster, say about the size of a CompactFlash card you'd use in a DSLR camera.

9 minutes ago, Brick said:

I'm assuming the next system will use cartridges as well. Makes more sense, and more portable for a console that can be taken with you as a handheld. I wouldn't have minded if the Switch cartridges were a bit bigger though so that they could fit more memory on them as well as possibly faster, say about the size of a CompactFlash card you'd use in a DSLR camera.

Next ones are gonna be microSD sized so if you drop them you'll never find them again!

32 minutes ago, Brick said:

I don't think there's any technical limitation to Switch cartridge size. Current max is like 64GB, but Nintendo could just as easily have a 2TB cartridge of the same size. The only reason they don't go larger is because larger carts eat into profits margins. We've already had a few games that have you download a ton of content because it saves publishers money.

6 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

I don't think there's any technical limitation to Switch cartridge size. Current max is like 64GB, but Nintendo could just as easily have a 2TB cartridge of the same size. The only reason they don't go larger is because larger carts eat into profits margins. We've already had a few games that have you download a ton of content because it saves publishers money.

I don't think I've played any Switch games that had to have more content be downloaded. Given that it is a proprietary cart, yeah you're right that they could make them any size they want, but I'm sure at that size there are more constraints, and it costs more to get more memory and speed on those tiny things than there would if they were bigger. Like if they went back to the size of the original Game Boy cartridge I'm sure they were hold more memory, and load games a lot faster easier, but I don't think anyone wants carts that size again .

8 hours ago, Brick said:

One of the things I keep wondering is due to the PS5 and Xbox Series using SSDs for their storage, the read/write speeds for the Switch are woefully slow by comparison (Like ~100MB/sec). And remember even for microSD, that's only using the UHS-I card speed. It would be nice if Switch 2 offered UHS-II speeds (156-312MB/sec according to Wiki), or even UHS-III class speeds, but I highly doubt it. 

One potential alternative then would be an m.2 2230 nvme drive ala Steam Deck, though the Switch 2 would more than likely have to increase in size. 

The dream would be using SD Express since it uses the same PCI-E interface as nvme, but using a much smaller footprint. It's not as small as MicroSD, as it's a standard SD Card size, but using a much faster reading interface would be the dream. Unfortunately, SD Express cards don't appear to be cheap, and they're still fairly new, which also doesn't fit Nintendo's M.O. of using "withered" technology that is readily available, and relatively cheap. 

Physical media isn't a thing anymore.  Movies are mostly streamed.  Music is mostly streamed.  Phone/Tablet content is exclusively download/streamed.  PC games are exclusively downloaded.  Solid state memory is now really cheap to include in a console.

There is no reason to have cartridges in 2023 -- let alone 2024/2025.  Particularly ones you need to manufacture, package, distribute and pay a margin on.

• Guillotine 1