SWITCH Successor backward compatible chances?

HardAct

22 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

Physical media isn't a thing anymore.  Movies are mostly streamed.  Music is mostly streamed.  Phone/Tablet content is exclusively download/streamed.  PC games are exclusively downloaded.  Solid state memory is now really cheap to include in a console.

There is no reason to have cartridges in 2023 -- let alone 2024/2025.  Particularly ones you need to manufacture, package, distribute and pay a margin on.

Switch 2 physical games are going to be Amiibos of the main character(s) and when you tap them on the console it'll input their download key into the system and start downloading it.

(Also there will be a huge scandal where people use long range NFC readers to steal all the keys off of amiibos on store shelves.)

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

Switch 2 physical games are going to be Amiibos of the main character(s) and when you tap them on the console it'll input their download key into the system and start downloading it.

(Also there will be a huge scandal where people use long range NFC readers to steal all the keys off of amiibos on store shelves.)

That's not a bad idea, at least it gives the physical version a purpose or makes it cooler looking than a game box at the very least.

1 hour ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

Physical media isn't a thing anymore.  Movies are mostly streamed.  Music is mostly streamed.  Phone/Tablet content is exclusively download/streamed.  PC games are exclusively downloaded.  Solid state memory is now really cheap to include in a console.

There is no reason to have cartridges in 2023 -- let alone 2024/2025.  Particularly ones you need to manufacture, package, distribute and pay a margin on.

Just don't expect prices to go down from 60-70 dollars. Publishers laugh all the way to the bank they can sell a digital game for the same price as a physical one. 

Goodfellas GIF

12 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

Why would I expect prices to go down?  Prices are not driven by cost.

My point is without physical, there's no retail, or manufacturing fees for the Publisher to pay. The only thing would be a listing fee for having the game on whatever distribution platform (or none at all if on your own platform), and I'd be surprised if that was somehow as much, or more expensive than manufacturing physical copies. 

So the Publisher should in theory take more percentage of the cut as a result at the same price point. 

7 minutes ago, imthesoldier said:

My point is without physical, there's no retail, or manufacturing fees for the Publisher to pay. The only thing would be a listing fee for having the game on whatever distribution platform (or none at all if on your own platform), and I'd be surprised if that was somehow as much, or more expensive than manufacturing physical copies. 

So the Publisher should in theory take more percentage of the cut as a result at the same price point. 

Listing fees have been widely reported as ~30% for most publishers -- although I assume that some are able to negotiate lower numbers.

But for Switch, which is dominated by Nintendo published games, this is less of an issue.  It's is more the cost of digital distribution vs. the cost of physical distribution.  One would think that Nintendo would make more on their games that are published digitally.

• True 1

Just now, AbsolutSurgen said:

Listing fees have been widely reported as ~30% for most publishers -- although I assume that some are able to negotiate lower numbers.

But for Switch, which is dominated by Nintendo published games, this is less of an issue.  It's is more the cost of digital distribution vs. the cost of physical distribution.  One would think that Nintendo would make more on their games that are published digitally.

Exactly. That's my whole point. Even though my original post was directed at you, my intention was to convey that in general, folks should not be surprised when prices don't suddenly go down once physical dwindles.