This thread is now about byemebluray and IGN

30 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Finally got caught up with this thread...should have read it before I posted because you guys went to some interesting places. I joined IGN around 2002 I think? I didn't spend a lot of time on the current event boards but I definitely remember some of those users. Time flies man.

Yeah I was looking for that Ort quote and I was like really where is this? :p

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, CayceG said:

I had lunch with heyyoudvd a few years ago in Toronto.

He wasn't the worst person I've ever shared a meal with, but I didn't want to really interact with him after that. 

We've all met that guy. :lol: 

I felt like I was taking crazy pills on IGN because until the keffiyeh thread, I felt like I was the only one calling heyyou crazy. But looking back, I think I was the only one who wasted his time engaging him on a regular basis until the keffiyeh thread, which was so Twilight Zoneish that everyone had to try to calm him down.

6 hours ago, Jason said:

Oh, lol, I promptly answered my own question. Thanks, past me!

That was the turning point, wasn't it? They wanted to encourage people who comment on the articles to post on the boards, but it ended up turning off the board members and killing good conversation.

6 hours ago, Jason said:

zotquix is in that thread :lol: did he ever come over here?

@SaysWho?

image.png

He got pissed at me over Inception, btw. He hated the movie because he thought it was sexist due to the villain, but I didn't understand what he was talking about, so he lost respect for me. Then he messaged me here about The Dark Knight Rises but I didn't respond because I didn't want to get into a Nolan debate.

1 hour ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Finally got caught up with this thread...should have read it before I posted because you guys went to some interesting places. I joined IGN around 2002 I think? I didn't spend a lot of time on the current event boards but I definitely remember some of those users. Time flies man.

Even though I posted on IGN for five years (joined in 02 but didn't post until later), those five years felt like FOREVER. In some ways, I don't feel as if I've posted here for longer, but it's been nearly twice as long.

I know we all talk about time flying as we get older, but I think part of it is how many different life events you go through early in life. When I began posting regularly at IGN, I was either about to graduate high school or just did. I started on the Star Wars board arguing about Revenge of the motherfucking Sith. AGES AGO. Then I posted there a few years while I was in local college so I could take my core classes for cheap and save for university. Then in 08, I went to university. By the time we left for D1P, formerly BadCartridge, I was nearly finished with college. 

That's a LOT OF FUCKING SHIT, so I feel like those five years took a long time based on how much happened. Besides going to a different place to work, it's basically just been growing in my career. I guess big trips and new relationships count as big life events, but something about graduating from HS and then two colleges feels grander, maybe, like I went to a totally new point in life? I dunno.

And through all that, I went from the Star Wars board on IGN, to the Vesti, to the Movies Lobby, to the DVD General Board, and then regularly on the CEB.  Here, it's really just been posting on the board as a whole. Maybe that has something to do with it, too.

I joined the IGN boards in '06, and I (regrettably) spent most of my time in the Wii Lobby. That place was its own special kind of stupid. Did you know that Medal of Honor Heroes 2 was actually the best shooter of the generation because the Wiimote controls were so adjustable? And HD is "just a resolution"

7 hours ago, Jason said:

Those were the days.

Fun fact: every year since 2011 (when I left), IGN has continued to charge my Visa for Insider, and I've had to dispute it. I guess I gifted membership to someone once, and IGN has refused to cancel or stop the recurring charge. So each year I email my bank and they reverse it.

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Those were the days.

Fun fact: every year since 2011 (when I left), IGN has continued to charge my Visa for Insider, and I've had to dispute it. I guess I gifted membership to someone once, and IGN has refused to cancel or stop the recurring charge. So each year I email my bank and they reverse it.

This is a great scam. 

My bank suggested I get a whole new CC number to avoid the yearly email or call, lol.

Funny enough, this discussion must have had an influence on me (or brought back horrible, scarring memories?) because last night I had a dream involving IGN/D1P...I think for the first time ever!

In the dream I was attending college (where I went to school for programming) and found out one day that one of our instructors was being replaced. The new person called themselves Ben...and looked like Ben Shapiro, but yet I knew he was actually DVD. My initial reaction was to start throwing things at him, and call him a fascist. School administration wondered why I was so angry, and I showed them his posts from the 2000s and they fired him.

Strange times.

And it's crazy to think many of us have been posting together for 19 years...this site and everyone here is such a part of my daily life that I would be devastated if it was gone. My only hope if the site ever shuts down is that the majority of users emigrate to Resetera to continue.

1 hour ago, TheLeon said:

I joined the IGN boards in '06, and I (regrettably) spent most of my time in the Wii Lobby. That place was its own special kind of stupid. Did you know that Medal of Honor Heroes 2 was actually the best shooter of the generation because the Wiimote controls were so adjustable? And HD is "just a resolution"

Yeah. Hardcore nintendo fans are just that extra level of special sometimes. I use to clean up some much shit as a mod on the pocket boards around the time ngage and NeoGeoPocket came out. 

I can't find the exact pick, but if this makes you think of someone on IGN

hKGH2gtZOVu_GisZWYB6_eYBxe08LoFHtcAHugI-

Then you know.

He was mentioned on a totally separate board: https://originaltrilogy.com/topic/Did-you-guys-read-that-thread-by-Go-mer-tonic-at-the-IGN-SW-board-Ughh/id/8182

And fuck, I wasn't posting in 2002, but I love this: https://www.ignboards.com/threads/go-mer-vs-the-rest-of-the-world.18503359/

Oh my fuck, this post from some legacy account in Feb 2002 about Star Wars:

"Not to get in the Middle of you 2 on this Daggard, but let's wait until the next 2 are out before making judgement and on the so called plot holes and what not... I'm sure there be many question answered in AOTC and Episode 3.. I really think one of the things I truly AM looking forward to when the Movie comes out, is hopefully an end to the whole EPISODE 1, Never ending debate that always ends up in a mud slinging match..."

OLO

I joined IGN in 2004 as MarSolo1 to talk about wrestling on the Smackdown boards, then got “adopted” by someone on that board, started posting on the WGB, then became friends with some people there after they formed a wrestling podcast that’s still going today.

Nobody posts there anymore.

@Keyser_Soze and I still keep up with a lot the DVD CB folks. I think I’ve met some 15 people from that board in real life. I even went to the wedding of one. It’s kinda weird because most of us were high school and college aged when we started posting together there, and now most are married and have kids. We’ve done a lot of growing up together.

5 hours ago, Joe said:

I definitely used to post on the CEB, but I guess not as often as the baseball board because I don't see many of my posts.

@Dodger We need to get kctigers and sdevito over here bro.

I think KCtigers did come here in the beginning. He was really good with analytics maybe he works for a team now. I hadn't thought about Sdevito in a long time but I remember him being a great poster. One of the super right wing posters ended up being a Dodger fan, Tavor I think. Dude would say some crazy shit on the CEB and then post on the baseball board about the Dodgers. 

Jsher never came here right?" Or if he did only briefly in the beginning. 

11 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

@Keyser_Soze and I still keep up with a lot the DVD CB folks. I think I’ve met some 15 people from that board in real life. I even went to the wedding of one. It’s kinda weird because most of us were high school and college aged when we started posting together there, and now most are married and have kids. We’ve done a lot of growing up together.

wtf, I don't remember Keyser on that board.

I just remember liking the discourse a lot better on the DVDGB but feeling like there was more elitism, and the Sniperbole was real (for those who don't know, a user SniperPuppies would use hyperbole so much that a new word was coined). But on the Movies Lobby, it just turned into a cesspool of alt accounts and trolling where people just disliked popular stuff as if they were on some low-grade contrarian Youtube Channel.

Also, the DVDGB had the epic @Derek/Shappy vs. Sexy_Allen debate.

I remember the Jaffa Cakes craze. I remember bloo-toof dying. I remember the underground boards. I remember talking to someone on the GameCube underground who worked at Factor 5, running into Factor 5 employees at E3, mentioning the GameCube Underground to them, then getting yelled at in IRC because the person I talked to on the show floor was a poster on the GameCube underground and got pissed that I mentioned it IRL. I remember Paladin69 “spoiling” Wind Waker by posting pics that had Ganon in them. I remember the megaton panic. I remember Ravi drums.

I remember it all.

2 minutes ago, Jason said:

man you got #yolo not a very #swaggy move 

I know. I had completely forgotten about it, but he reminded me when we were talking about his bizarre news articles. At first, I was like "dude, that never happened." Very, very drunk lol.

Just now, Joe said:

I know. I had completely forgotten about it, but he reminded me when we were talking about his bizarre news articles. At first, I was like "dude, that never happened." Very, very drunk lol.

He remembered seeing you too? :lol:

2 minutes ago, Joe said:

Also, seeing Jon-e3 on the CEB Community thread reminded of his INSANE drama here. GI was must- see tv back then. 

I met Jon with @The def star in LA a few years ago and he went over all that drama. I remember I used to hate that guy but he was super cool when I met him, plus I ended up pretty drunk so I don't remember most of what happened. 

I was disappointed I never met up with @jason after he moved to LA before I moved to Arizona.