~*Official Canada Thread of Good Governance and Unnecessary Apologizing*~

I refuse to post most Canada-related stories in this thread, but am posting this one because it might be too on the nose for the COVID-19 thread:

This speaks to the deeper political reasons for Canada’s superior performance, ones that go beyond the personal qualities of Justin Trudeau and Donald Trump.

While Canada’s political divisions are stark, with a sharp urban-rural divide very much reminiscent of America’s, partisan identities are not nearly as fixed or powerful as they are south of the border. In a world where partisanship isn’t so extreme, and there’s a greater degree of political consensus between the major parties, it’s much easier for political leaders to come together during a time of national crisis.

“In Canada, polar ends of the political spectrum are completely aligned on how to manage that’s pandemic. And I gotta tell you, it’s extraordinarily helpful,” says Isaac Bogoch, an infectious disease expert at the University of Toronto. “That’s one of the main drivers of success here.”

On 5/4/2020 at 1:55 PM, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Your country was not born a slaveholder's republic, and has not failed to move on from that reality.

I have always felt we were fucked because of that but I this pandemic provides good supporting evidence. 

We are a failed state. There is no way to govern a people with a religious reverence for a bunch of slave owners that wanted to be free.

5 minutes ago, Zaku3 said:

I have always felt we were fucked because of that but I this pandemic provides good supporting evidence. 

We are a failed state. There is no way to govern a people with a religious reverence for a bunch of slave owners that wanted to be free.

Conservatives are so infatuated with the idea, not reality by any means, of the founders; they completely forget or wholly disdain virtually all amendments after 1865, which fundamentally changed the document

53 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Conservatives are so infatuated with the idea, not reality by any means, of the founders; they completely forget or wholly disdain virtually all amendments after 1865, which fundamentally changed the document

I suspect many of them would prefer to go back to the original document.

1 hour ago, Jason said:

Probably needed because right now Canada Post is a total cluster fuck and is beyond backed up atm (I've got a package that is over 2 weeks late and it's only going across the city. It hasn't moved since being picked up). 

Yeah I had ordered my Frozen II and Rise of Skywalker 3D Steelbooks from Zavvi. Both shipped out, with Frozen II 3 weeks before Star Wars. I have yet to see my Frozen II copy but my Star Wars arrived surprisingly on May the 4th (be with you) Also this week seems like we are only getting service every other day. Been fine until this week with daily mail.

https://www.cp24.com/news/sidewalk-labs-walks-away-from-quayside-proposal-citing-unprecedented-economic-uncertainty-1.4928962

Ouch, this is a pretty big blow to the city IMO. They botched this with their continual delays and dragging things on. What could have been an amazing new area for the city is going to either go no where for years to come or turn into a carbon copy boring space like everywhere else in the city. 

https://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/features/pipelines-man-camps-murdered-indigenous-women-canada-200412064302356.html

In Canada, resource extraction is not only endangering the land - but the lives of Indigenous women.

For the First Nations and Metis (of mixed Indigenous and European heritage) women and girls among them, the feeling of danger was heightened by the racism they would encounter if their customers knew they were Indigenous.

"[So] we identified as either Latina, Asian or exotic, because if we self-identified as Indigenous, we would be devalued and our safety would be at risk," April explains.

"They believe we (Indigenous and Metis women and girls) are disposable and invisible."

Uh... wtf Canada?

https://cosplay.kotaku.com/star-wars-cosplayer-thrown-to-the-ground-arrested-for-1843380255

As LNN report, the incident took place last week when the unnamed employee, dressed in full Stormtrooper costume (complete with plastic blaster rifle) and standing out the front of the restaurant, became the subject of two 911 calls from passers-by who were a) concerned at the presence of what they thought was a weapon, and b) had somehow never seen a Stormtrooper before.

Police soon arrived at the scene, drew their guns and ordered the woman to first drop her “weapon” before getting onto the ground. While the employee immediately discarded the blaster, she took some time getting to her knees, so the attending officers grabbed her and pushed her to the ground and handcuffed her, giving her a “bloodied nose”.

36 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

The American Corporation Covid-19 Principles:

1. Fuck you, you little piece of shit, you should be thanking your lucky stars you get to work for this company.

2. Your health is not important. The company's bottom line is what's important. 

3. If you don't put every fiber of your being into your work, we will fire your ass, and you and your entire family will lose their health care.

4. Always remember, you exist only to increase our stock price so the nephew of the CEO can buy a new island and finance his congressional campaign. 

5. Again, fuck you.