~*Official Canada Thread of Good Governance and Unnecessary Apologizing*~

1 minute ago, chakoo said:

So with all the horrible shit going on in the world right now, There looks to be a tiny bright patch for canadians. The dollar has been on a solid recovery trajectory this week. So there is a solid chance we might be able to recover back to north of 75c USD to 1 Cad. 

https://ca.finance.yahoo.com/quote/CADUSD=X?p=CADUSD=X

Just now, CitizenVectron said:

How does that even make sense with oil the way it is.

Ah: https://ca.finance.yahoo.com/news/canadian-dollar-surges-three-month-203550501.html

Canadian dollar surges to three-month high as investors unload the greenback

8 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Ah: https://ca.finance.yahoo.com/news/canadian-dollar-surges-three-month-203550501.html

Canadian dollar surges to three-month high as investors unload the greenback

Yeah. I also pointed out on Resetra a while back at the start that the Canadian dollar was not being as significantly dragged down by oil as it had in the past (as oil going negative should have hit us much harder than it did). So as things weaken in the US but slightly improve here is helping to boost the dollar. 

A lot of furor over the law that would allow intoxication as an excuse for sexual assault. I see a lot of people posting change.org petitions to Parliament to stop this, but like a lot of change.org petitions I see my friends post about Canadian issues, it has me thinking, one does charge.org even ever really accomplish anything, and two isn't change.org an American website for American things? The better option would be to go to a Parliament run website and sign a petition or proposal on there that would actually be seen directly my MPs. 

I remember working at the theatre about 10-12 years ago we had tons of break-ins for cars in the parking lot. One day they decided to hit 9 employee cars, including mine. The cops came by to see if we were missing anything, and none of us noticed anything missing. A few stereos were attempted to be ripped from the dash, but that was it. They said they had an idea who had done it, the natives from the reserves in Brantford(S. Ontario) They also said they wouldn’t or couldn’t do anything about investigating/questioning/arrests and to just go through with our insurance. Back then I thought ‘how do they know this’ and were they being a little racist?

Sure enough a few years or so goes bye and we had cars stolen from the parking lot. Even stole a car of someone I was working with at the theatre, and he found his car. He was traveling with a buddy a few weeks later after his car was stolen, and noticed its chard remains on the Brantford reserve. Called the cops and they still wouldn’t do a thing. 

where I’m going with this now? I don’t know, as my white widow is kicking in now :vortex:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/world/2020/jun/06/canadian-first-nation-chief-says-rcmp-violently-assaulted-him

A prominent First Nations chief in Canada has said he and his wife were assaulted by police officers over an expired licence plate, an incident that came as the country grapples with continued violence against ethnic minorities at the hands of police.

Chief Allan Adam of the Athabasca Chipewyan First Nation, a well-known businessman whose community has extensive operations in Alberta’s oil sands, said he and his wife, Freda Courtoreille, had a violent encounter with the Royal Canadian Mounted Police on 10 March that has left the community in anguish. 

I've personally lived through two police strikes , of a police force that is significantly more corrupt/violent than anything in Canada.  I'm pretty sure I know what not having  police is like.

@CitizenVectron, if you're serious about disbanding police forces , why don't we use your province as a test case to see what its like not having a police force.  If we do this, will you let me know how it works out for you?

'Cause I'm pretty sure I want them around in Ontario.

21 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

I've personally lived through two police strikes , of a police force that is significantly more corrupt/violent than anything in Canada.  I'm pretty sure I know what not having  police is like.

@CitizenVectron, if you're serious about disbanding police forces , why don't we use your province as a test case to see what its like not having a police force.  If we do this, will you let me know how it works out for you?

'Cause I'm pretty sure I want them around in Ontario.

I didn't expand, so it's my fault, but I am not someone who wants all police forces completely abolished. My vision (without having more than 2 min to explain, so short on details unfortunately), is something like:

• No national police force for individual enforcement, only for investigation and prosecution
  • Other police forces massively defunded, with those funds being used for parallel, non-violent units
  • New units (or boosted funding for existing ones) would be for traffic enforcement, non-violent intervention (which is a majority of work police currently do)
  • Armed and trained police units would still exist in much smaller numbers in order to respond to violent situations, but would have greater training in social work and de-escalation

The thing in my county that I have complained about for years is that we have 1 cop for every 88 people in the county (51 total). Whenever there is somebody pulled over 2 more units show up because they have nothing better to do. And to top it off the county set aside funds to hire 3 more deputies because they believe we are under staffed. It is pretty insane to think about how much money goes to idle law enforcement in this county that could be used to better the county. 

Also I should mention that the largest single employer in the county has their own security force that has the same training as our locals, so while I can't include they they are about 20 more strong. 

12 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:

I didn't expand, so it's my fault, but I am not someone who wants all police forces completely abolished. My vision (without having more than 2 min to explain, so short on details unfortunately), is something like:

• No national police force for individual enforcement, only for investigation and prosecution
  • Other police forces massively defunded, with those funds being used for parallel, non-violent units
  • New units (or boosted funding for existing ones) would be for traffic enforcement, non-violent intervention (which is a majority of work police currently do)
  • Armed and trained police units would still exist in much smaller numbers in order to respond to violent situations, but would have greater training in social work and de-escalation

There are very few countries that have unarmed police (Iceland, most of the UK, Norway, New Zealand).  However, the fatality rates during to police interactions are significantly lower in other parts of the world where the police ARE armed -- Europe and most of East Asia for example.

The vast majority of police work is non-violent, which speaks to the relatively low levels of death in Canada at the hands of police.  When someone calls 911, how does the dispatcher know if a situation might become violent?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbc.ca/amp/1.5607622

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said today the RCMP and other police agencies across the country have a problem with systemic racism — a day after RCMP Commissioner Brenda Lucki said she's "struggling" with the term and denied racism is entrenched within the organization.

"Systemic racism is an issue right across the country, in all our institutions, including in all our police forces, including in the RCMP. That's what systemic racism is," said Trudeau when asked about Lucki's comments by reporters during a news conference in Ottawa this morning.

"In many cases it's not deliberate, it's not intentional, it's not aggressive, individual acts of racism, although those obviously exist. It is recognizing that the systems we have built over the past generations have not always treated people of racialized backgrounds, of Indigenous backgrounds, fairly through the very construction of the systems that exist."

35 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Doug Ford's government to reduce statutory holidays for Ontario front-line retail workers from 9 to 3.

Piece of shit.

https://toronto.citynews.ca/2020/06/18/ford-government-to-reduce-holidays-for-front-line-retail-workers-union/

Stupidly dumb. He is pretty much burning up all the good will he gained over COVID. 

10 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:

Doug Ford's government to reduce statutory holidays for Ontario front-line retail workers from 9 to 3.

Piece of shit.

https://toronto.citynews.ca/2020/06/18/ford-government-to-reduce-holidays-for-front-line-retail-workers-union/

"My friends, thank you all so much for working so hard during this pandemic, many of you working extra, and overtime. As a thank you to your sacrifice, and in recognition of the work you do clearly love to do, I'm reducing your holidays so you can work even more."

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:

Stupid sexy Trudeau.

If they’re in tech, they better come quick because it’s going to be competitive as f@&k in 2 years. There isn’t a week that goes by that I don’t get word of some other Bay Area company looking to open up or expand their TO office.

1 hour ago, chakoo said:

If they’re in tech, they better come quick because it’s going to be competitive as f@&k in 2 years. There isn’t a week that goes by that I don’t get word of some other Bay Area company looking to open up or expand their TO office.

Yeah tech is starting to shift big resources into Canada.

8 minutes ago, chakoo said:

https://www.cp24.com/news/ontario-reporting-257-new-covid-19-cases-majority-from-windsor-essex-farm-workers-1.5004121

F**king hell, Looks like another area that needs a harsh clamp down after long term care homes. 

We need workers for the farms or everyone will starve, but we can't get our usual foreign workers!

Well, pay more money and then Canadian residents would do the work?

No. Also, everyone is getting sick so our production is down!

Well, institute safety precautions, even though it might cost a bit of money?

No.

23 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:

Good tweet from Ukraine on Canada Day.

I should pitch an idea to Smoke's Poutinerie of a poutine that has traditional Russian cuisine as a topping, like beef stroganoff for example, and call it the Vladimir Poutine. 

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Jason said:

thread:

sad, but even more sad is that I work/know of someone who shares the same views. That was before this Covid-19 thing even happened. Thinks there is a chance that his real dad was Castro. He told me to ignore these “news stations” and to open my eyes to the truth. He also said people were overreacting to the whole Covid thing because it was nothing but a flu (see where I am here) He and his wife also had a bookstore that had to shutter because of the lockdown and wasn’t too pleased with that (which I understand would be frustrating) I don’t see him ramming a truck into the gates, but he did say that these restrictions were like being a Japanese Canadian during WWII. Thrown into a jail like state with all their rights taken away, while the government rules with an iron fist. Plus he said/threatened he would move to the states in order to get them rights back. That was about 2 months ago and wonder if those thoughts have changed (probably not knowing him) 

• 2 weeks later...