~*Official Canada Thread of Good Governance and Unnecessary Apologizing*~

• 3 weeks later...

So, this is gigantic news. For anyone not aware, Treaty rights give the Miꞌkmaq nation the right to fish forever in their ancestral lands. White fisherman don't like that, since they can only catch lobster part of the year. In reality, the number of Miꞌkmaq fisherman is very low, but it became a racist and political issue. It hit its head most recently with mobs of white fisherman descending on Indigenous fishing areas, and resulted in boats being destroyed, warehouses being burned down, etc.

So that's the shot. The chaser? The Miꞌkmaq nation (along with other Indigenous nations) have teamed together and have bought the company that the white fisherman work for, for $1 billion. The white fisherman now work for the Miꞌkmaq people. This is huge news, and a giant victory for Indigenous economic growth in Canada, too. Indigenous bands/nations in the west have also recently taken ownership of some oil pipelines. I think that getting Indigenous people involved in the ownership and operation of resource-based initiatives is a good thing, and I am glad to see it expanding. Long-term, the goal needs to be improved finances of Indigenous people, and less reliance on the federal government (until then, however, funding should be increased, as it's pathetic right now).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

***king hell. I hope the LPC ask her to resign over this or we're going to get wall to wall coverage from the CPC running to the media that this proves the LPC should be thrown out in whole. 

Even though there was not a peep from them over a Conservative Senator donating to trump which violated a few rules. :| 

13 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

So, this is gigantic news. For anyone not aware, Treaty rights give the Miꞌkmaq nation the right to fish forever in their ancestral lands. White fisherman don't like that, since they can only catch lobster part of the year. In reality, the number of Miꞌkmaq fisherman is very low, but it became a racist and political issue. It hit its head most recently with mobs of white fisherman descending on Indigenous fishing areas, and resulted in boats being destroyed, warehouses being burned down, etc.

So that's the shot. The chaser? The Miꞌkmaq nation (along with other Indigenous nations) have teamed together and have bought the company that the white fisherman work for, for $1 billion. The white fisherman now work for the Miꞌkmaq people. This is huge news, and a giant victory for Indigenous economic growth in Canada, too. Indigenous bands/nations in the west have also recently taken ownership of some oil pipelines. I think that getting Indigenous people involved in the ownership and operation of resource-based initiatives is a good thing, and I am glad to see it expanding. Long-term, the goal needs to be improved finances of Indigenous people, and less reliance on the federal government (until then, however, funding should be increased, as it's pathetic right now).

Hahaha get fucked racist! :celebrate:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
48 minutes ago, SilentWorld said:

Did you read the article? The author is basically butthurt that coalitions are possible in the Westminster system and is trying to act like it would be something completely nefarious if the Liberals were to attempt it.

Oh yeah he's a total moron (the author). His argument is effectively "if parties which comprise over 50% of the seats can decide to stay in power rather than have an election (or form new coalitions to do so) then it becomes very hard for the Conservatives to win, and this is a bad thing, and undemocratic."

The NDP would still be in a position to prop up the Liberals, based on the polls. The party is currently polling in third place, with 18 per cent of the vote, while the Bloc Quebecois has dipped to just 7 per cent support after besting the NDP during the 2019 federal election. The Green Party is also polling around 7 per cent.

In addition to that, the areas where the support has picked up is generally where the Liberals already have seats. Bricker said that this reality makes an election call less appealing, from a strategic perspective, given that the current support levels don’t point to a majority win for the Liberals.

As vaccinations happen in Europe and the US, and the leave the lockdown. And Canada stays in it, expect Liberal popularity to decrease. 

1 hour ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

As vaccinations happen in Europe and the US, and the leave the lockdown. And Canada stays in it, expect Liberal popularity to decrease. 

Canada is on pace to administer vaccinations at the same pace as the US and EU. Should have the majority done by July, and everyone (who wants it) done by end of September. I don't see why that would make people mad.

25 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Canada is on pace to administer vaccinations at the same pace as the US and EU. Should have the majority done by July, and everyone (who wants it) done by end of September. I don't see why that would make people mad.

Trudeau himself has admitted that Europe and the US will get the vaccine first.

CDC and European governments have stated that they expect "mass vaccination" to begin in the March/April timeframe.

The Trudeau government has been very opaque about their agreements on vaccine timing -- although the earliest any Canadian province has promised mass vaccination is July with the majority of Canadians by September (not anyone who wants it).

What are you basing the "Canada will administer vaccination at the same pace as the US and the EU" claim on?

4 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

Trudeau himself has admitted that Europe and the US will get the vaccine first.

This was a quote taken out of context, where Trudeau said it was expected that countries that manufacture the vaccine would like get the first doses. This was true for the UK with the Oxford vaccine, but Canada actually got the Pfizer vaccine on the same day as the US, and the Moderna vaccine only one week after. The US will likely complete their goal by July/Aug vs September in Canada, but less Americans (as a %) are also expected to receive it.

CDC and European governments have stated that they expect "mass vaccination" to begin in the March/April timeframe.

In Canada it's up to the provinces, but current shipping timelines are 4.25 million does of the Pfizer vaccine by the end of March, and 2 million doses of the Moderna vaccine. This has been widely reported for the last few weeks (with an additional 250k doses for Pfizer announced today, for January). So that's 9% of the population by Apr, which covers most of the vulnerable pop/healthcare. In April mass vaccination will begin for the general pop, with larger shipments anticipated.

The Trudeau government has been very opaque about their agreements on vaccine timing -- although the earliest any Canadian province has promised mass vaccination is July with the majority of Canadians by September (not anyone who wants it).

It's been quite open, as mentioned above. Also, the government has stated Sept as the end for three weeks now:

What are you basing the "Canada will administer vaccination at the same pace as the US and the EU" claim on?

What has been stated. The US might complete theirs one month or so sooner, but overall it will be quite close, I don't expect the public to be outraged.  In fact, I actually expect both countries to be done sooner than we think thanks to the j&j vaccine and others that will be approved in the next few months.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

This was a quote taken out of context, where Trudeau said it was expected that countries that manufacture the vaccine would like get the first doses. This was true for the UK with the Oxford vaccine, but Canada actually got the Pfizer vaccine on the same day as the US, and the Moderna vaccine only one week after. The US will likely complete their goal by July/Aug vs September in Canada, but less Americans (as a %) are also expected to receive it.

In Canada it's up to the provinces, but current shipping timelines are 4.25 million does of the Pfizer vaccine by the end of March, and 2 million doses of the Moderna vaccine. This has been widely reported for the last few weeks (with an additional 250k doses for Pfizer announced today, for January). So that's 9% of the population by Apr, which covers most of the vulnerable pop/healthcare. In April mass vaccination will begin for the general pop, with larger shipments anticipated.

It's been quite open, as mentioned above. Also, the government has stated Sept as the end for three weeks now:

What has been stated. The US might complete theirs one month or so sooner, but overall it will be quite close, I don't expect the public to be outraged.  In fact, I actually expect both countries to be done sooner than we think thanks to the j&j vaccine and others that will be approved in the next few months.

Kinda OT but is there any read on when the J&J phase 3 will be done?

13 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Kinda OT but is there any read on when the J&J phase 3 will be done?

Based on this:

CP17528758-e1608261405110.jpg?quality=85
GLOBALNEWS.CA

The pharmaceutical company's single-dose vaccine is in Phase 3 clinical trials that are now fully enrolled, and is already being reviewed by Health Canada.

Probably by the end of Feb. And it's single-dose, which is great.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:

No we are not.

Even your soure confirms it.

US/Europe set to wrap-up in early Summer, Canada is late fall.

2 hours ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

No we are not.

Even your soure confirms it.

US/Europe set to wrap-up in early Summer, Canada is late fall.

Are you referring to the December timeline? As stated in that tweet, we will have enough for September, but they anticipate some people will voluntarily wait until December, so they will have the rollout still in place for stragglers. Q3 ends Sept, which is not late fall (at least in Canada, lol).

Importantly, the US is running far behind their Warp Speed projections, however, while we are running ahead. Their official projections are still from October, and include only 300 million does administered by the end of June. They claim this is "enough for all Americans," but it's only enough for 150 million out of 325 million. So even if they meet their projections (which, again, they are running behind), they will only have around 46% vaccination rate by July, which is right where Canada will be, as well. I'm not saying things won't change (in fact I am optimistic both countries will, in the end, get the job mostly done by July/Aug), but as of right now both Canada and the US are on a similar course to complete vaccinations by September. I don't see how the public in either country will be upset by this, even if it ends up varying by 1-2 months in either direction.

And while you are criticizing the Liberal government for not being transparent (even though they clearly are with their often-updated timelines and announcements), you fail to comment on how the US is not being as transparent with public timelines. It's true that all the timelines are effectively managed at the provincial/state level, but at least in Canada we have a central government who is proactively engaged in managing this. I think you might be too far into your right-wing bubble if you think the general public is mad at Trudeau for his handling of the pandemic (in fact polling shows people are happy with it, even more so than they support his party) or is prepped for a huge swing against him if it takes until September for everyone to be vaccinated.

EDIT - Took a bit to find it, but here is an example of being behind the official roadmap (which is required to be done by July):

106814563-1608578960966-mod.jpg?v=160857
WWW.CNBC.COM

The total number of vaccines administered is still a long way off from the federal government's goal to inoculate 20 million Americans by the end of the year.

So far the main hurdle has just been getting people vaccinated, both the US and Canada have a roughly equivalent amount of does at the ready in each country to get around 1% of the population inoculated in December, with that number rising to 15-30% by April depending on how smoothly things go.

Also, vaccination isn't the only measure of success here. Even assuming it takes Canada 1 to 2 months longer to vaccinate, people here will continue to be financially supported with no end for EI/CRB/CEWS in sight. Compare that with:

• 4 weeks later...

It's certainly concerning, especially because we wouldn't have such a slowdown coming if we could purchase vaccines produced in the US (can't because Trump wouldn't allow it). I don't see in what alternate world Canada would be manufacturing our own mRNA vaccines to compete with the EU and USA. Apparently, though, Pfizer's slowdown will be net-neutral by April, at which point we'll be receiving more per week than we would have otherwise. I still think we're on track to vaccinate everyone by the middle of summer, especially if J&J and Novavax vaccines are approved in the next 1-2 months.

6Months ago, the US didn't have the capacity to make mRNA vaccines -- they then cut a cheque as part of OWS to Pfizer for $2B to create that capacity.  We can't buy the Pfizer vaccines from the US because their government created the capacity in return for using it first -- it has nothing to do with Trump "not allowing it".  

The reason that Israel/UAE/Bahrain/UK/EU are getting vaccines before Canada, is because they signed agreements with Pfizer before we did.  It has nothing to do with the geographic location of the manufacturing facility. 

While other governments created robust vaccine plans (like OWS in the US), we didn't.

6 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

6Months ago, the US didn't have the capacity to make mRNA vaccines -- they then cut a cheque as part of OWS to Pfizer for $2B to create that capacity.  We can't buy the Pfizer vaccines from the US because their government created the capacity in return for using it first -- it has nothing to do with Trump "not allowing it".  

The reason that Israel/UAE/Bahrain/UK/EU are getting vaccines before Canada, is because they signed agreements with Pfizer before we did.  It has nothing to do with the geographic location of the manufacturing facility. 

While other governments created robust vaccine plans (like OWS in the US), we didn't.

Under no hypothetical scenario could Canada have created mRNA production facilities in time to produce vaccines. You're right that we should have placed orders sooner. In any case, it still looks like we'll be done vaccinating (assuming people all want it) by late summer.

Is Derek Sloan the kind of MP that Erin O'Toole would want in his caucus?  No -- he probably should have thrown him out earlier.

But justifying it because Paul Fromm processed a $131 campaign donation on a website.  That's just stupid.  No candidate looks at the list of their campaign donors, and certainly doesn't scan them against known white supremicists.  And who the fuck is Paul Fromm anyways?  Before yesterday, I had never heard of him.

Just a bad look for O'Toole.

3 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

Is Derek Sloan the kind of MP that Erin O'Toole would want in his caucus?  No -- he probably should have thrown him out earlier.

But justifying it because Paul Fromm processed a $131 campaign donation on a website.  That's just stupid.  No candidate looks at the list of their campaign donors, and certainly doesn't scan them against known white supremicists.  And who the fuck is Paul Fromm anyways?  Before yesterday, I had never heard of him.

Just a bad look for O'Toole.

It's only a bad look if you like having racists in the party. It was a flimsy excuse, but that's all O'Toole was looking for, and I applaud him for getting rid of Sloan. It's unfortunate that it took this type of situation to actually boot him, rather than Sloan's history of racism (see: his recent questioning of Dr. Tam's loyalty).

Just now, CitizenVectron said:

It's only a bad look if you like having racists in the party. It was a flimsy excuse, but that's all O'Toole was looking for, and I applaud him for getting rid of Sloan.

No.  Throwing him out of caucus because he is a racist, and stating it, is a good look.  Throwing him out with a nonsensical excuse is a bad look.  It makes it look like he is doing a PR move, rather that actually doing something on principle.

11 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

No.  Throwing him out of caucus because he is a racist, and stating it, is a good look.  Throwing him out with a nonsensical excuse is a bad look.  It makes it look like he is doing a PR move, rather that actually doing something on principle.

Oh I see what you mean. I agree.