~* Make America Great Depression Again -- Official Thread of Corona Virus infected markets *~

Jason

I just got a pretty good raise at a time when my company is being very stringent. Quite happy about that one all things considered.

The jobs report, Q1 GDP, all of this will be stunning to read about over the next few months.

My g/f wants to do fewer things outside. It's sad because we like to do a lot outside and eat out, but it's true that it's not about us. Don't really give a shit about the online atmosphere where everything is doomsday; do your part, which is the most you can do.

On 3/14/2020 at 10:59 AM, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

The arbitrary difference between the federal reserve,a private bank chartered and borded by federal government appointees and the federal government is quite narrow.

That it exists as set up by the government, and there is no similar structure for private citizens is the point though. We bend over backwards for the wealthy and powerful by having creating and importantly maintaining a private bank of last resort because we saw what happened in the banking crises in the early 1900's late 1800's, and we didn't think it best to leave the next crisis to another JP Morgan. That we have this set up and maintained while hollowing out institutions, or not having them at all, for regular people is the problem. 

You are correct that the finance sector wields an asymmetric amount of power over the government, and that this should be addressed; however, IMO the Fed's independence from the treasury is key to keeping the dollar's exchange rate relatively stable (and flexible during crises), not to mention maintaining its status as the global reserve currency. (even though the latter is most certainly temporary)

Countries where the government has direct political control over the central bank have been much more prone to stagflationary/hyperinflationary episodes--although I would argue in most cases it's usually more of a contributing factor than a direct cause--and no one's going to conduct international trade in a currency entirely in the hands of a country's treasury, where debt monetization can happen the moment the president/prime minister/whoever wants it.

Not that there aren't those who would disagree--there are a few economists I otherwise agree with that advocate for a central bank under direct control of the government.  But historically its usually led to problems.

I knew I expected a rocky morning but looking at the markets after my morning standup has been a bit crazy. I even tuned in for a bit of the news on yahoo finance and the host were already talking about that the markets are already getting behind joe biden as a forgone conclusion and trump fucked this up royally. :rofl:

While I remain eternally pessimistic about the American voter...I can't see Trump winning if this all continues as projected. The only way he might pull it off is that Republicans will have no issues cramming into limited polling stations while Democrats remain home out of fear of catching COVID-19 (assuming it had a fall bounce-back).

Just now, CitizenVectron said:

While I remain eternally pessimistic about the American voter...I can't see Trump winning if this all continues as projected.

Never underestimate the power our ignorance, nor the speed with which we leave behind the lessons we've learn! :flag_us_inverted:

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

While I remain eternally pessimistic about the American voter...I can't see Trump winning if this all continues as projected. The only way he might pull it off is that Republicans will have no issues cramming into limited polling stations while Democrats remain home out of fear of catching COVID-19 (assuming it had a fall bounce-back).

He'll lose simply because enough of his voters in PA, WI, and MI will die.

17 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

The Republicans are going to give us universal healthcare, UBI, and and an effective carbon plan before the Democrats.  

Yep, along with whites-only immigration, the end of Roe V. Wade, Brown vs. Board, and a dictator in the White House.

21 minutes ago, chakoo said:

Frick. Did anybody notice that oil dropped below $30 today? It's down about $3 from opening.

https://ca.finance.yahoo.com/quote/CL=F?p=CL=F

-.- I'm going to be paying $120 for animal crossing by friday.

I also have noticed that certain assets that are supposed to protect you during downturns are not doing so. Take corporate/muni bonds, silver, and even gold as examples. They have all failed as far as I'm concerned.

The sell off behavior is now more panic-like and is extremely broad based. It reminds me of the selling behavior in the financial crisis.