~* Make America Great Depression Again -- Official Thread of Corona Virus infected markets *~

Jason

1 hour ago, marioandsonic said:

I mean, they spent 1.5 trillion dollars the other day just to try and prop up Wall Street which is the same amount as all student loan debt combined.

No they didn’t, and don’t listen to the financial and economic opinions of anybody who continues to peddle this idea. They fundamentally misunderstand what the Fed does day in day out.

14 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

No they didn’t, and don’t listen to the financial and economic opinions of anybody who continues to peddle this idea. They fundamentally misunderstand what the Fed does day in day out.

It does illustrate the point that if the money is needed it can be found and that the "howyagonnapayforit" rhetoric is almost never in good faith.

Also shows that if bankers need liquidity they get no interest loans from the central government. If I need liquidity I get kicked to the curb.

A kid came to my door and asked for a donation for their hockey trip to Winnipeg and then when I gave it to him he laughed and ripped off his mask and it was Eric Trump the whole time! He ran down the street and high-fived Don Jr and they got in a van and drove off, yelling how they were going to give it to the rich. That is how I know sblfilms is wrong.

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

It does illustrate the point that if the money is needed it can be found and that the "howyagonnapayforit" rhetoric is almost never in good faith.

Also shows that if bankers need liquidity they get no interest loans from the central government. If I need liquidity I get kicked to the curb.

The federal reserve is not the government, and it’s functions like providing liquidity for markets is not in anyway connected to normal government revenue and expenditures.

22 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

The federal reserve is not the government, and it’s functions like providing liquidity for markets is not in anyway connected to normal government revenue and expenditures.

The arbitrary difference between the federal reserve,a private bank chartered and borded by federal government appointees and the federal government is quite narrow.

That it exists as set up by the government, and there is no similar structure for private citizens is the point though. We bend over backwards for the wealthy and powerful by having creating and importantly maintaining a private bank of last resort because we saw what happened in the banking crises in the early 1900's late 1800's, and we didn't think it best to leave the next crisis to another JP Morgan. That we have this set up and maintained while hollowing out institutions, or not having them at all, for regular people is the problem. 

24 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

The arbitrary difference between the federal reserve,a private bank chartered and borded by federal government appointees and the federal government is quite narrow.

That it exists as set up by the government, and there is no similar structure for private citizens is the point though. We bend over backwards for the wealthy and powerful by having creating and importantly maintaining a private bank of last resort because we saw what happened in the banking crises in the early 1900's late 1800's, and we didn't think it best to leave the next crisis to another JP Morgan. That we have this set up and maintained while hollowing out institutions, or not having them at all, for regular people is the problem. 

The difference between the Federal Reserve Bank and the government is not arbitrary or narrow. It is a hugely important distinction that our central bank is not controlled by the political structure.

None of the rest of this has anything to do with the Fed operation that people keep pointing to. 

2 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:

A kid came to my door and asked for a donation for their hockey trip to Winnipeg and then when I gave it to him he laughed and ripped off his mask and it was Eric Trump the whole time! He ran down the street and high-fived Don Jr and they got in a van and drove off, yelling how they were going to give it to the rich. That is how I know sblfilms is wrong.

Sorry, I don’t buy this story.

Eric Trump is not smart enough to use a mask.

• Haha 1

The Fed just slashed interest rates to 0%.

The Fed also cut reserve requirement ratios for thousands of banks to zero. In addition, in a global coordinated move by centrals banks, the Fed said the Bank of Canada, the Bank of England, the Bank of Japan, the European Central Bank, the Federal Reserve, and the Swiss National Bank took action to enhance dollar liquidity around the world through existing dollar swap arrangements.

11 minutes ago, chakoo said:

This will be interesting and bad all in one. 

We really should have picked Warren for the dems so we could have at least called her lisa and made that simpsons prophecy a reality. 

it would be awesome, but there is always have 2024 for a Lisa to step forward. :jordan:

Also close enough for me, but The Simpsons kind of predicted this situation happening just a few years ago